Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:18 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
my poor trailer all covered up for winter, i cant wait for summer!

it'll be may before camping season rolls back around for me..

Old 02-16-2014, 04:15 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I can't wait for camping season. I went out and did some work on the new camper. Added some reinforcement to the factory stabalizer jacks. Than I test fitted some new leveling/stabalizer jacks. I'm going to build some mounts to drop them down 2-3 inches, and ties the two sides together. Just like how the factory ones are.

Here's a sneak peak.

These will allow better stability of the camper, because they can take a lot of wt off the springs. These jacks are rated at 7500 lbs each.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
So happy to see this thread back it means it almost camping time... nevermind.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-january.html

Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

I've camped in January and Feb. before, but up here nice temps that time of the year are highs in the 30s.. Maybe around 40 if your lucky. But usually right around 0.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:36 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annual boys trip the uncle sets up every year... highlight of my year every year. 3 days of ripping and tearing, baloney deepfried in leftover bacon fat, and falling asleep by the fire 40 miles from the nearest house right on the lovely Bay of Fundy.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I can't wait for camping season. I went out and did some work on the new camper. Added some reinforcement to the factory stabalizer jacks. Than I test fitted some new leveling/stabalizer jacks. I'm going to build some mounts to drop them down 2-3 inches, and ties the two sides together. Just like how the factory ones are.

Here's a sneak peak.

These will allow better stability of the camper, because they can take a lot of wt off the springs. These jacks are rated at 7500 lbs each.

Looks great Dave! I've been planning to add a set in front of my axles to take out some of the frame flex but now you have me thinking "More is always better!" How are you planning to tie them together? I am looking to build some home brew 'JT Strongarms' to add to my factory jacks at the corners. I've read lots of comments from folks that use them that they really lock down any jack movement and eliminate trailer movement when setup. With a frame as long as our Jayco's I really want to do what I can to combat movement and frame flex.
You have a lot less snow around your rig than I do, I'm plowed in with about 2.5' in front of my hitch, of course I still need to do some hitch work, figures......

Old 02-17-2014, 07:12 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Looks great Dave! I've been planning to add a set in front of my axles to take out some of the frame flex but now you have me thinking "More is always better!" How are you planning to tie them together? I am looking to build some home brew 'JT Strongarms' to add to my factory jacks at the corners. I've read lots of comments from folks that use them that they really lock down any jack movement and eliminate trailer movement when setup. With a frame as long as our Jayco's I really want to do what I can to combat movement and frame flex.
You have a lot less snow around your rig than I do, I'm plowed in with about 2.5' in front of my hitch, of course I still need to do some hitch work, figures......
I wasn't going to tie them together, but I prob should do something so I don't end up bending them if the camper decides it wants to move one way or the other. Idk if hooking the two side to side will matter or not, but hooking from the frame to each jack prob be a good idea. This did stop the movement ALOT inside the camper. And most of the wt is on the right by the axles, and the tounge jack. I needed to add something being the factory stabalizers bent. Well one leg of the front jack, but still. I figure these jacks will make leveling a lot nicer, won't have to drive up on blocks as much..

We have had a easy year for snow this year, it's kinda nice and a pain at the same time.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 AM
grndpakent
New User
[QUOTE=hav24wheel;14077004]I wasn't going to tie them together, but I prob should do something so I don't end up bending them if the camper decides it wants to move one way or the other.

Dave,

I am a long time campground host in Wisconsin and over the years have seen many trailers roll away. I'll try and be as polite as possible when I say you have spent good money on your trailer, why cheap out with a left over brick to hold it in place? You need a set of expandable wheel chocks. I could not find a pic of our AS with the chocks in place so copied a picture from etrailer. A good set will cost you about $75.00 and it's money well spent.
My Airstream sits in the drive next to the garage. Every time it snows I plow all the snow away just in case we get time to travel, I would hate to have it snowed in.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:09 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
my poor trailer all covered up for winter, i cant wait for summer!

it'll be may before camping season rolls back around for me..

I had about the same amount of snow on mine about a week ago. I shoveled it all off very carefully like I do every year. That is allot of weight on a weak TT roof. Plus when it melts off less chance of the water getting inside somewhere.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 PM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel

Here's a sneak peak.

Where did u get these?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I had about the same amount of snow on mine about a week ago. I shoveled it all off very carefully like I do every year. That is allot of weight on a weak TT roof. Plus when it melts off less chance of the water getting inside somewhere.

its spent its whole life with this amount of snow or more on it with no ill effects yet.

all that snow has pretty much melted anyhow such a screwy winter!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Something is bad wrong with these last 2 campers. What in the world is that white stuff on them and the ground?
Here it was 62 degrees today, 68 tomorrow and going crappie fishing. And camping in 2 more weeks. But then again a week ago we were down to 0 and had snow. But Here in West Tn snow does not stay around for long then back to warm nice weather.
Pete

Old 02-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by Pete Kildow
Something is bad wrong with these last 2 campers. What in the world is that white stuff on them and the ground?
Here it was 62 degrees today, 68 tomorrow and going crappie fishing. And camping in 2 more weeks. But then again a week ago we were down to 0 and had snow. But Here in West Tn snow does not stay around for long then back to warm nice weather.
Pete
Here we are roughing it now. It's cooled down to a chilly 73* in Phoenix so we had to build a camp fire to survive. BTW not so much fire wood in the wild in Phoenix, most places we go I drag some dead trees out of the woods...

Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by grndpakent
Dave,

I am a long time campground host in Wisconsin and over the years have seen many trailers roll away. I'll try and be as polite as possible when I say you have spent good money on your trailer, why cheap out with a left over brick to hold it in place? You need a set of expandable wheel chocks. I could not find a pic of our AS with the chocks in place so copied a picture from etrailer. A good set will cost you about $75.00 and it's money well spent.
My Airstream sits in the drive next to the garage. Every time it snows I plow all the snow away just in case we get time to travel, I would hate to have it snowed in.
They are on my wish list. Usually on a weekend camping I can get the camper leveled off without unhooking, so the excursion keeps it from moving.

Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
Where did u get these?
Got them off eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-24-7500-lb-RV-Scissor-Leveling-Jacks-Trailer-NEW-/190359720267?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5252d14b

Old 02-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
Here we are roughing it now. It's cooled down to a chilly 73* in Phoenix so we had to build a camp fire to survive. BTW not so much fire wood in the wild in Phoenix, most places we go I drag some dead trees out of the woods...

I hear you, 68 here today and Thursday 75 but a cold front blowing through that evening. So twister weather is here again. Shoot we have more wood then you can shake a stick at . But we never burn a fire. There's a ban of taking wood from county to county. And not paying $10. for enough to start a fire. So I rigged up a gas fired pit. metal 5 gallon bucket, half full of sand. Pour a half pint of gas and half pint of water in the sand and let it set for a few minutes. PItch a match into it and you have a clean burning fire for a good while.
Used to use this all the time on our dock on the Tn river in cold Weather. But we had a 55 metal drum. And used the 5 gallon bucket in the homemade wooden john boat.

Like the beer art. My aunt used to make planes and stuff out of beer cans and sold them as fast as she could make them.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!