Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
I'm feeling the itch, but the weather is NOT cooperating!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 AM
labman1014
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is troubleshooting included in this thread? I am a member of Rv.net, just haven't been over there yet to ask. I just got a new to be 2010 rockwood roo. Only used 6 times. All tank sensors work except the grey. I get no lights at all. I looked under at the tank and all wiring looks correct per the online diagram. Just don't know where to look next or test.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Started to de-winterize the ToyHauler and greased up the Hensley hitch last night. Tonight I need to take care of a loose section of interior moulding, finish packing and get hitched up, plan to pull out Saturday.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Coming up to that time again to pull the camper out!

Man I'd hate to see that thing pulling Afton Mountain....

Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by labman1014
Is troubleshooting included in this thread? I am a member of Rv.net, just haven't been over there yet to ask. I just got a new to be 2010 rockwood roo. Only used 6 times. All tank sensors work except the grey. I get no lights at all. I looked under at the tank and all wiring looks correct per the online diagram. Just don't know where to look next or test.

No lights sound like no connection at the panel. Do any lights light up when the gray is full? If not might be a problem in the panel itself not receiving the resistance reading from any of the gray sensors. Personally I would pull the panel off the wall and test resistance of all the wires coming into the panel from all tanks and see if the gray matches the rest. In order to know the resistance there should be some water in the tanks to cover at least the lowest sensors. That way the upper level sensors should have little to no resistance and the ones that are submerged should have a high or higher than the rest resistance. If you are getting resistance on the gray tank wire at the panel you know something in the panel is causing the problem.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 AM
labman1014
Elder User
No lights sound like no connection at the panel. Do any lights light up when the gray is full? If not might be a problem in the panel itself not receiving the resistance reading from any of the gray sensors. Personally I would pull the panel off the wall and test resistance of all the wires coming into the panel from all tanks and see if the gray matches the rest. In order to know the resistance there should be some water in the tanks to cover at least the lowest sensors. That way the upper level sensors should have little to no resistance and the ones that are submerged should have a high or higher than the rest resistance. If you are getting resistance on the gray tank wire at the panel you know something in the panel is causing the problem.
Perfect. Tks. Will do this this weekend.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:24 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
I did a couple simple water system mods yesterday. Added a drinking water filter and an expansion tank accumulator system.

This is the filter I bought, have one in the house for the fridge and it seems to work well enough.
Culligan US-600A 3/8-Inch Undersink Drinking Water Filter - Amazon.com Culligan US-600A 3/8-Inch Undersink Drinking Water Filter - Amazon.com

I added bypass valves for winterizing and hooked it into only the kitchen cold faucet. Filter comes with 3/8 PEX tubing which is most commonly used in RV's as well. You'll need 3 3/8 valves and 2 T's for the bypass system. The local hardware store had that stuff, but I shoulda ordered the valves etc online and saved some $$$.

This is the tank I used, though I got a scratch and dent tank on eBay for half price.
Watts DET-5 2.1 G Potable Water Expansion Tank for 50-Gallon Water Heaters - Amazon.com Watts DET-5 2.1 G Potable Water Expansion Tank for 50-Gallon Water Heaters - Amazon.com

Any similar tank will work, just make sure it's designed for potable water.

I added a T where the pump discharge fed into the water system. I could have a valve to shut it off for winterizing, but I plan to remove the tank (and filter ) completely in winter and have a cap to put in place of the SS line. Mine was standard 1/2 " pipe thread for the T and a standard faucet water line to the tank.

The tank gives me about 2 minutes of water flow without the pump, easily enough for washing hands or using the bathroom without turning on the pump. An added bonus I didn't expect is it made the pump significantly quieter when it runs.

Out for the maiden voyage of this year on Wednesday. Home on Friday to avoid amateur weekend.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I finally pulled mine out of the weeds and started looking stuff over again before we head out on the first trip this coming month.

First thing I checked was my water tank and I don't see any green or black junk like I had to put up with last year. Just nice pink antifreeze. I have used this same antifreeze for three winters now though so I am thinking of throwing it out this time and getting new for next winter. It did have a funky smell to it when I was dumping it in this last time.

Doesn't look like I have much to do this year from prep. Just drain the fresh water tank and flush it out, check tire pressure, and throw the gas bottles back on.

I have been wanting to build a shelf system over the bathtub ever since I got the TT, maybe I will do that before our first trip. When I was growing up my grandparents RV always had a shelf system over the tub which we used for putting our clean cloths, worn cloths went below in the tub for cleaning when we got home. It was a great system and freed up allot of storage bin space in the RV. The campgrounds we go to have showers so we never use the tubs for anything but holding stuff. It would be nice to just tear out the tub but thats a bit extreme. We will be selling the TT some day and getting something different I am sure so I don't want to do anything drastic with major things like the tub itself.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:10 PM
sccamper
Mountain Pass
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Having a shower in the camper is one of the best upgrades from our old popup. My wife hates using the bath house. I use either one, as long as it isnt busy.

Today I added a 12v light and switch to each closet in master bed room and also the storage compartment in rear of camper. Front storage are had lights added last year.

Nice job on the water system upgrade ExxWhy. Adding a water filter under the sink is on my to-do list.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy

An added bonus I didn't expect is it made the pump significantly quieter when it runs.

Out for the maiden voyage of this year on Wednesday. Home on Friday to avoid amateur weekend.
Eric,

NICE JOB!...

The reason the pump is quieter I'll bet is the "loop" you put in the "outfeed" line...one of the tips they tell you to quiet the water hammer effect is to put that loop in that line...did you have a loop previously?

We dewinterized the bus two weekends ago...I used compressed air since I have the dishwasher and washer to worry about...still used some pink stuff to protect all the pumps (main water, dishwasher and washer) and in the traps...and still used ~2 gallons but all seemed to winter well...well except for the 4 DEAD critters I found inside...2 were in the tiolet (looking for water I suspect) and 2 were in the basement in my tire covers...not exactly sure how they got into the basement since all the doors are very well sealed up with nice rubber weather stripping...I know how they would have gotten from the basement to the coach...all the sinks have a nice large opening for plumbing...which will be spray foamed...I guess it is possible they were in there when we bought the bus and we never noticed them and they were "stuck" and hence why they died?

First thing I checked was my water tank and I don't see any green or black junk like I had to put up with last year. Just nice pink antifreeze. I have used this same antifreeze for three winters now though so I am thinking of throwing it out this time and getting new for next winter. It did have a funky smell to it when I was dumping it in this last time.
You are more diligent than I am to recollect the used antifreeze...and if it has a smell...well I'd pitch it...I wait for Menards to have theirs on sale in the fall for $2.50 per gallon or less and bought a 6 gallon case this year since I had to do the bus and the TT we still have for sale.

Originally Posted by sccamper
Having a shower in the camper is one of the best upgrades from our old popup. My wife hates using the bath house. I use either one, as long as it isnt busy.
We started by tent camping...looked at popups...actually made an offer on one but quickly decided that our future would be in a TT...so we skipped the popup and have had 2 TT's...we just moved to the Class-A last August...let me tell you...I wish I had done that sooner...I realize it isn't quite "camping" any longer...but it sure is a nice way to travel...and I'm sure your wife would thank you! ... hopefully a LOT and OFTEN...

I'll pull the bus over to the Freighliner dealer next Tuesday for annual PM (i'm not ready to tackle that on this rig)...then we leave for Disney/Orlando next Friday (the 31st)...we'll be down there for 8 nights arriving on Sunday June 2nd (my birthday)...we'll then cruise up to Myrtle Beach for 8 more nights (staying at Ocean Waves Resort which looks very nice and is right on the beach)...then we'll cruise over to Charlotte NC for 4 nights or so to see my aunt and uncle which we haven't seen since 2010...all in all 3 weeks out including road time...this will be our first really long trip in the bus. I do have to swap out a pretty big solenoid...my house batteries weren't staying charged while traveling and they should be being charged by the alternator...the only thing I can figure is the solenoid...since we have a 3000w pure sine wave inverter that runs the residential fridge...having batteries while rolling is important...I could run the generator if needed...but shouldn't have too.

Joe.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
The white flex house was on there when I bought the trailer, along with foam insulation on various lines. PO's attempt to quiet it down. And it wasn't too bad before, but the tank still made a noticeable difference.

I'm an indiscriminate waster of resources, I always just buy new antifreeze every year. Far too lazy to try to collect it.

Sounds like a sweet trip Joe, EXACTLY the reason you bought it!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:08 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Eric,

The "loop" that you created with the braided hose is where the majority of your improvement has come from...just creating the "loop" is the key...I put that loop in my line when I put in the variable speed pump over at Indian lake when we were camping together last fall...it really helps!

Looking forward to the trip...

We need to think about a fall trip again...that is a great time of year to camp with good friends especially!

Joe.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
Eric,

NICE JOB!...

The reason the pump is quieter I'll bet is the "loop" you put in the "outfeed" line...one of the tips they tell you to quiet the water hammer effect is to put that loop in that line...did you have a loop previously?

We dewinterized the bus two weekends ago...I used compressed air since I have the dishwasher and washer to worry about...still used some pink stuff to protect all the pumps (main water, dishwasher and washer) and in the traps...and still used ~2 gallons but all seemed to winter well...well except for the 4 DEAD critters I found inside...2 were in the tiolet (looking for water I suspect) and 2 were in the basement in my tire covers...not exactly sure how they got into the basement since all the doors are very well sealed up with nice rubber weather stripping...I know how they would have gotten from the basement to the coach...all the sinks have a nice large opening for plumbing...which will be spray foamed...I guess it is possible they were in there when we bought the bus and we never noticed them and they were "stuck" and hence why they died?

You are more diligent than I am to recollect the used antifreeze...and if it has a smell...well I'd pitch it...I wait for Menards to have theirs on sale in the fall for $2.50 per gallon or less and bought a 6 gallon case this year since I had to do the bus and the TT we still have for sale.

We started by tent camping...looked at popups...actually made an offer on one but quickly decided that our future would be in a TT...so we skipped the popup and have had 2 TT's...we just moved to the Class-A last August...let me tell you...I wish I had done that sooner...I realize it isn't quite "camping" any longer...but it sure is a nice way to travel...and I'm sure your wife would thank you! ... hopefully a LOT and OFTEN...

I'll pull the bus over to the Freighliner dealer next Tuesday for annual PM (i'm not ready to tackle that on this rig)...then we leave for Disney/Orlando next Friday (the 31st)...we'll be down there for 8 nights arriving on Sunday June 2nd (my birthday)...we'll then cruise up to Myrtle Beach for 8 more nights (staying at Ocean Waves Resort which looks very nice and is right on the beach)...then we'll cruise over to Charlotte NC for 4 nights or so to see my aunt and uncle which we haven't seen since 2010...all in all 3 weeks out including road time...this will be our first really long trip in the bus. I do have to swap out a pretty big solenoid...my house batteries weren't staying charged while traveling and they should be being charged by the alternator...the only thing I can figure is the solenoid...since we have a 3000w pure sine wave inverter that runs the residential fridge...having batteries while rolling is important...I could run the generator if needed...but shouldn't have too.

Joe.
wow, very nice.
We looked at a class-A couple years ago but we figured if we went with a nice size diesel pusher it would be well above our budget. It's on hold for now.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:06 PM
shaferz
Senior User
Great thread!

We dewinterized two weeks ago and had planned on pulling the camper for Memorial Day weekend. Found out the Excursion has some pretty serious issues, so we cancelled and will just 'camp' at home in our spare lot.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:33 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm ridiculously excited about seeing my new excursion in front of my "other" baby for the first time this weekend.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!