1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1999 Ranger spare tire hoist

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:26 PM
brucebowker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Ranger spare tire hoist

Just joined this forum. Looks like a lot of great information is available.

Just bought a 1999 Ranger. I need to replace the broken spare tire hoist.
Will most any tire hoist from Ford work? If not, what Ranger years would be the same or what other trucks would be the same?

Thanks

Bruce

Old 04-23-2011, 05:32 PM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
98 and newer Ranger have the same hoist.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:50 PM
brucebowker
Freshman User
Joe - thanks. Might a F150 fit? Or any other Ford? I live on a Caribbean island so access to parts is not easy.

Bruce

Old 04-23-2011, 08:11 PM
smalltrucker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I can say is not really sure, but really glad you brought the subject up. I've been going to get under the trucks, check the spares and lube up the linkage. Seems to be one of them things, out of sight, out of mind. Thanks for the reminder and good luck.
DAve

Old 04-23-2011, 09:14 PM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess if we live on a tropical island we might have to make some sacrifices and keep our tire in the bed! LOL.

How about one of those parts cross checking programs that the junkyards use? Anyone have access to one?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:16 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
You could add Mazda B-Series to your salvage yard spare tire hoist look list.
Not sure if F-150 parts will cross, as it's tires were usually larger back then, so it may have used a different mechanism. I like the salvage yard parts cross check list idea.
Will be interesting to hear what you find.

Some time ago after after reading some spare tire access horror stories on this forum, I started a thread here, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...pare-tire.html & chose to drop my spare for inspection, lubing of the cable & it's lowering mechanism & airing up my spare.

I rubbed a coating of marine grease on the cable, making sure it got plenty where the cable is fastened into the "T" hanger that holds the spare tire up. This marine lube is resistant to wash out.
Also lubed the lock cover with a good quality lock spray so it would remove & I could get the crank handel in, to lower the spare & lubed the rotating points with a spray motor cycle chain lithium product. Then aired up my spare, that was low.

I now do a yearly check & it's time for another inspection!!!!!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 AM
brucebowker
Freshman User
Thanks for the ideas. I have a lot of marine grease since we run two dive boats.

I also read somewhere that the bed might have to lifted just to get the hoist out. Is this true? If so I may just keep the spare in my garage and have someone come get me if I have a flat. This truck does not go far from home.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 AM
pawpaw
I don't know about the bed having to be raised, or removed, to be able to replace the spare tire wench.

Seeing as how you seem to like turning your own wrenches, be sure to check out the
"Tech Info" thread atop this forums thread listing page. It has all kinds of useful info in it, although I don't believe it has anything in it about replacing the spare tire wench hardware. Maybe a body man with that kind of info will chime in, or maybe visit your Dealer, or another body shop & inquire.

BTW, Welcome to FTE!!!!

Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 PM
brucebowker
Freshman User
Thanks for the welcome. No Ford dealers here. I will try to remove it in the next few days. If I have to lift the bed I may can the whole idea. I have someone checking junkyards in Colorado at the moment. If he finds one he may find out how hard it is or how easy it is to remove.

Thanks again

Bruce

Old 04-24-2011, 12:46 PM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Something else to try is keep an eye on ebay. If you see someone listing a lot of parts from one truck, contact them to see about the assembly you need. If they have not listed it they probably dont think its worth much!

Its my understanding that pulling the bed is not that hard. Heck, there was a guy on here who pulled his to clean his truck after a day of 4 wheeling!

Old 04-24-2011, 07:02 PM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM
brucebowker
Freshman User
Thanks for above website. That has helped me quite a bit.

For future reference - the bed does have to lifted all of about 1/4 inch. Nice design Ford!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:06 PM
brucebowker
Freshman User
For future reference for anyone doing this, the bed has to be lifted. I loosened only the back two driver side bolts about 1/2 inch. Actually took them all the way out to clean them. Jacked up the bed about 1/4 to 3/8 inch and the hoist slid out easily.
I took the hoist apart. Tried to buy a 4 mm cable but the only place that has cable had 2mm, 3mm and 5mm. No 4 mm. Would have been an easy fix. Now I am seeing if I can get a new replacement hoist.

Bruce

Old 04-26-2011, 03:36 PM
pawpaw
If you have an airport close by, check with the mechanics there, as surface control cable would work & likely be available. Maybe a Marine supply would have it too.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:53 PM
brucebowker
Freshman User
Thank but sadly the airport here has nothing. The only marine store had all sizes but the 4mm. By the way for anyone trying this, the Torx bolt size is T55.

Bruce
Carib Inn
Bonaire

Quick Reply: 1999 Ranger spare tire hoist