1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

03 Crown Vic IFS Install in 54 M100

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just finished looking at your album, looks really good! seems to be a easy install

Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Gil,
Yeah it is going pretty smooth even for a beginer. my welding is improving with more practice. I'm great with a grinder too.
If you want to check it out let me know.
So in order to ship this truck to Nova Scotia the shipping companies that I have contacted want it running ,stopping and steering. I pretty much have 6 weeks to get r done. My job is slowing down my progress. LOL

Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 AM
blackedout
Senior User
Originally Posted by 4mrdragoon
Thanks for those pics, I might just run with that. Let me know how it works out any issues with your steering ?
I haven't stared on steering yet, but the mounts go almost straight down from the motor, there is plenty of clearance for steering, unless the headers get in the way.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:12 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
G]IMG]/IMG]IMG]

Old 05-08-2011, 09:27 AM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
So, I've been away for awhile buying a new place in Greenwood, Nova Scotia. Bigger garage with heat and we are 2km from work no more traffic. I don't remember the other stuff. Spent all day yesterday making mounts for the rear portion of the IFS to mount to the truck frame. It bolted directly to the frame on the CV. I'm also trying to figure out where and how to mount the sway bar. Time spent in the garage is never wasted.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:58 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
You are moving to a beautiful area - Anapolis Royal just down the road from you is one of our favorites.

Ben in Austin

Old 05-08-2011, 01:25 PM
rastiss
Senior User
have you gotten to mock up for pan and headers by chance?

Old 05-08-2011, 02:03 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
rastiss

No I haven't got that far yet. I might swing the engine over tonight to see how it will fit. I'm just as interested and am expecting some challenges.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
Tonight I bolted and tack welded my frame mounts on, bolted on the IFS and placed the 351W with AOD on the frame. Engine mounts are going to be interesting but I think I can come up with an idea using some 4'' box steel and cutting it into a J channel I would have access to both engine bolts and frame bolts then I would need some poly /rubber anti vibration spacers. I need to have the mounts to be between 4''-4 1/2'' in hieght and the engine mounts are about 7'' apart.

So here's a few questions for those that mounted a 351W and AOD.
Did you have to modifiy or remove original transmission mount? my trans oil pan is sitting on original truck crossmember right now. I still have the cross member from the 85 CV I could use it.
Any Ideas on the engine mounts? or exact measurements for centers of engine mount bolt holes?

On my original post on this thread I mentioned other 03 CV IFS threads check them out.

On another thread Gil, "THEPITSHOP" and I were talking about the possibility of widening the front fenders 1''-2'' to match up a bit with the widened rear fenders 3'' has anyone done this or seen it anywhere?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:19 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
I've been busy trying to get this thing moving. So in order to move my truck east all f the shipping companies so far want it to run, stop , and steer. So what I'm doing right now is trying to get it there. This is not the finished result hopefully next year.
So I picked up an engine hoist from Canadian Tire so I no longer have to borrow it from work. I made some engine mounts they aren't pretty but will do for now. Trying to use a Steering wheel and shaft from 85 CV and link it to a 03 CV steering box has been a challenge but I managed to mock something up. And it worked !! Now to see who can make it better at a local machine shop those steering U joints are $$$. I must be looking in the wrong places. Checked out a floor shifter Lokar 16'' for an AOD $275.00 The column shift isn't going to fly without the help of a pro.

Later

Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like your doing some big progress! if your looking for joints go to a farm equipment parts dept or a place like princess auto, they sell all kinds of u-joints for pto application that can be used for steering, if you need a quick shifter for now try to find a floor shifter off a t-bird or cougar believe mines off a 94-98, its for a aode pattern but can be used for a aod, its cable operated which makes it easy to mount, picked mine up at Bucks for $10.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
Thanks Gil,

I'll shop around and see If they have it I was also thinking a bearing shop. Fire enough bullets you are bound to hit something. I think I have the steering thing sorted out just have to get to the wreckers to look for parts in better condition.

RASTISS
The oil pan is free and not resting on anything. Headers may be an issue. The exhaust manifolds fit but the pipes will have to be sorted out

Check out my album there are more pics

Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
thought you might want to see my fabbed up engine mounts, i know its not important now but later down the road...mine is 351w,aod, jag ifs, but it looks sort of similar in the way the engine mounts sit.

Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2011, 10:11 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
Thanks for those pics,
I Canadianized mine and used Hockey pucks under my mounts (Temp Fix)
So I mounted the steering wheel and brake pedal, and Brake booster from the 85 CV. The brake pedal arm could use some length maybe 2''. The seat from the 97 F350 is sitting in the truck once pedals are mounted I'll bolt the seats down.
Plans to go camping might get cancelled. More time to work on the truck

Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just wanted to add myself to this thread, you are doing a great job man!

Quick Reply: 03 Crown Vic IFS Install in 54 M100