1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Crossmember installation - Can anyone offer suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:06 PM
AmericanROCKBREAD!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey There,

I just read your thread and it looks like the same problem I ran into with my mounts. I had a fab shop make it right, so they modified the cross member to drop the engine significantly into the mount. My mount started out like this:

But was changed by my fab shop for the engine and trans to sit like this:

The engine sits like this:

That was my fix for the problem that looks like it could be the same as yours.

Joe

Old 07-23-2012, 06:46 PM
jbontke
Junior User
Originally Posted by jonf
I see lots of conversation going back and forth about how high and low and how much to the front and rear and side to side. What I don't see, unless I missed it, is discussion about where the fan shaft on the waterpump is in relation to the frame and radiator.

You might be able to get the engine and trans right where nothing hits and there is a lot of clearance, but then you might not have enough clearance by the waterpump fan shaft to mount a big mechanical fan. I know that's the mistake we made. Eveything is cool but the mechancal fan is too low and we had to notch the bottom of the radiator core support and still can't swing a 17" fan.

If I ever re-do mine, the engine will be higher and closer to the firewall, even if I have to raise the tranny cover.

Good luck.

I was planning on running an electric fan. By leveling and centering the engine, the fan will be to low to line up with the radiator. Unless I make a crazy off center fan shroud.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 PM
jbontke
Junior User
Originally Posted by Schuyles
I have been following this thread because I am planning on using the same CPP crossmember to mount my 351...

How is that you plan to put the engine in the frame now? (if you scrap your crossmember)
Just building some custom mounts. I don't really have a game plan at the moment. I need to do more research. Maybe something like this:

Ford Weld-In Motor Mounts - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM
jbontke
Junior User
AmericanROCKBREAD:

That looks good, I have been thinking about trying that, but I am not sure if it will put the engine low enough. What transmission cross member are you using? What transmission? What kind of space do you have between the trans and cab? Is the engine centered over the axle?

Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think you can get away with a couple of degrees of tilt if that helps align everything and allows some clearance to the cab.

What rear end are you planning to run. If you pick up a Ford 9", the pumplin is not centered between the axles. You can shim the rear end to match the angle of the engine and allow the sideways offset of the rear end provide the offset that you need for the U-joint phasing.

On my sbf installation, I also had to eliminate the stock transmission cross member. I put in a strap on the top of the frame to tie the frame together....after seeking advice here on FTE, the members convinced me that the cab mounts are cantalevered enough so that the frame will sag outward if some support isn't added.

Here's that tie-strap:

Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dan
I think you can get away with a couple of degrees of tilt if that helps align everything and allows some clearance to the cab.

What rear end are you planning to run. If you pick up a Ford 9", the pumplin is not centered between the axles. You can shim the rear end to match the angle of the engine and allow the sideways offset of the rear end provide the offset that you need for the U-joint phasing.

On my sbf installation, I also had to eliminate the stock transmission cross member. I put in a strap on the top of the frame to tie the frame together....after seeking advice here on FTE, the members convinced me that the cab mounts are cantalevered enough so that the frame will sag outward if some support isn't added.

Here's that tie-strap:
If u get a CAR 9in the pumpkin is not centered. It is for truck axles. The car axle is offset to leave room for the muffler on one side of the driveshaft cause of the low ground clearance. The trucks didn't have that problem.

Sam

Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
jbontke
Junior User

I am using a 8.8 rear axle. It is just sitting under the frame and the spring perches have not been welded on yet so I can still set the angle of the input flange.

The previous owner removed the stock trans cross member. I am not even sure what goes there. I have this for the cross member:

http://www.f100central.com/catalog/c...ber_300pix.jpg

So you are saying that I need more? How many cross members do the stock frames need? I know that the frame needs to flex some.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

The stock crossmember is a beefy thing that is mounted near the rear can mounts... It is so big that it basically keeps the frame from twisting out which would allow the rear of the cab to sag. The crossmember in the link is like the one under my trans, & it doesn't tie the top of the frame together. The bracket that I added is a simple 1/4 inch strap bolted in with flush head bolts. I then added the diagonal pieces for extra measure.
Dan

Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM
jbontke
Junior User
The stock crossmember is a beefy thing that is mounted near the rear can mounts... It is so big that it basically keeps the frame from twisting out which would allow the rear of the cab to sag. The crossmember in the link is like the one under my trans, & it doesn't tie the top of the frame together. The bracket that I added is a simple 1/4 inch strap bolted in with flush head bolts. I then added the diagonal pieces for extra measure.
Dan
So why not box the frame under the cab and add a tubular cross brace? I know the frames are supposed to flex some, that is why i never was concerned with missing a cross brace. I wonder what happens if the frame is too stiff with a front/rear solid axle setup?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jbontke
I bought THIS CROSS MEMBER from f100 central. It did not come with any installation guidelines and I hope yall can help me out because I have never installed a cross member before. Suggestions are welcome.

The truck is a 56 F100. The engine/trans is a 302/4R70W from a 98 exploder and will be using all of the EFI/trans wiring. The suspension/steering is stock. My plan is to use the cherry picker to hold the 302 over the frame and decide where I want the engine to sit. Make some rough estimates and marks, then go back and square it all up and install the cross member for good. Just sounds too easy.

My concerns fall into sitting it too close to the firewall and running into an unforseen problem with clearance for steering, headers, efi components, etc. I know many of yall have experience and I am welcome on what is the best way to tackle this.

Thanks in advance,
John
I think you got it. Just mock it up to make sure of your present and future modifications.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by jbontke
I am using a 8.8 rear axle. It is just sitting under the frame and the spring perches have not been welded on yet so I can still set the angle of the input flange.

The previous owner removed the stock trans cross member. I am not even sure what goes there. I have this for the cross member:

http://www.f100central.com/catalog/c...ber_300pix.jpg

So you are saying that I need more? How many cross members do the stock frames need? I know that the frame needs to flex some.

The problem is that the other cross members don't provide the necessary support at the area where the front cab mounts are. The weight of the cab is somewhat forward, and the word is that the frame can twist. The original crossmember wraps all the way up to the top of the frame. The part in your reference only ties the bottom of the frame together, and it is quite a bit back from those front cab mounts. I think I mis-spoke in an earlier post & said rear cab mounts....I meant front...the ones that stick out several inches making a great lever arm with a twisting moment on the frame.

Dan

Old 08-01-2012, 11:48 AM
jbontke
Junior User
The problem is that the other cross members don't provide the necessary support at the area where the front cab mounts are. The weight of the cab is somewhat forward, and the word is that the frame can twist. The original crossmember wraps all the way up to the top of the frame. The part in your reference only ties the bottom of the frame together, and it is quite a bit back from those front cab mounts. I think I mis-spoke in an earlier post & said rear cab mounts....I meant front...the ones that stick out several inches making a great lever arm with a twisting moment on the frame.

Dan
So why not box the frame under the cab? I know that the frame is supposed to flex some and that is the reason you don't want to box the whole frame with a stock suspension. But how is the frame supposed to flex? From what you are saying is that the frame flexes in on the top from the weight of the cab, thus needing support. So boxing the frame under the car would prevent the frame flex from the cab weight. And hopefully not removed the frame flexibility needed for the stock suspension. Thoughts anyone?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:25 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 469 Likes on 305 Posts
Ok, I guess it's time to chime in on this discussion. Here is a force analysis for the F100 frame that shows why FOMOCO put the crossmember where they did on these frames. If you remove this crossmember, and do not install another that will counteract the rotational forces on the frame rails, then you WILL crack the frame.

Please note, this has nothing to do with the rear trans mount nor does it have anything to do with the front engine mounts...this is soley about the forces applied to the frame by the weight of the cab on the cab mount wings. I have tried to keep this drawing as un-technical as I can but there is only so much you can do when trying to explain forces on a structural body.

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Baldy66
Freshman User
Old Dan, Could you give me the deminensions ( sorry about the spelling) of your brace. I would like to build one to use on my 55.
Yhanks!

Old 08-11-2012, 04:56 PM
50 rat
New User
Smile F3 exhaust

Originally Posted by MCarlson
I mounted mine against the bottom of the frame rail on 1/2" forward of the steering box (I did add the toyota box for power steering). My oil pan clears the bar/axle/drag link and the motor clears the firewall. I went through four different sets of exhaust manifolds to find the ones that fit. they came out of a mid-80s bronco. For the transmission I just had to take out the stock crossmember, turn it around backwards and remount it 4 1/2"s back. I then needed to build up the top about an inch to use the stock AOD mount. Mine is an F3 though and I've been told the crossmembers are different.
Mike
Hi Mike I'm wondering about your exhaust system.I'm not sure what motor you are running but I have SBF 351w in my 50 F1 with toyota gear box (currently installing).Crossmember in place and welded I can't find a header that will clear toyota box.Can you send photo and year of your exhaust manifolds thanks.
Also I'm not sure if cab mount is same on your F3 or what other stuff is different?

Quick Reply: Crossmember installation - Can anyone offer suggestions?