Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust manifold horror story

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:23 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust manifold horror story

okay well maybe this isn't a horror story, but here goes; my old manifolds were rusty, cracked, leaky messes. i went to an exhaust shop to have new ones installed. i bought new OEM manifolds, a Mr. gasket exhaust/intake gasket, and a fel-pro plenum gasket. i did not cheap out on any of the parts. i had this job done and got the truck back today. the guy told me that the truck badly needs a tune up when i walked in to pick it up. i immediately knew something was wrong. i get in the truck and start driving home. this thing is running like crap. it has no power, and it is shaking violently. i don't know how this guy gave the truck back to me without questioning how bad it was operating. i turned around and talked to the guy. i could of just left the truck there, but i figured i should go home and come back monday morning rather than leave my truck in front of his place all weekend. (the shop isn't far) so, what could be wrong here? the truck has a shaky idle, shakes when i hit the gas, and has no power. i think the manifolds are still leaking, too. the shaking seems to be much less severe during deceleration. this thing was running MINT when i dropped it off. any suggestions for what could have went wrong when my mechanic was doing this job? all help is appreciated. truck is in sig.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:30 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They my have cracked a spark plug or the plug wires may have come apart when they removed them

Old 04-08-2011, 04:36 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
i was actually thinking the same thing. i took a look and didnt see any disconnected wires, but i dont think they would have had to touch the plugs to remove the manifolds on my motor. the manis are on the opposite side of the engine.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:40 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by octaneforce
i was actually thinking the same thing. i took a look and didnt see any disconnected wires, but i dont think they would have had to touch the plugs to remove the manifolds on my motor. the manis are on the opposite side of the engine.
Very true....Very true....Sounds like some shady characters took a lil joy ride

-Wes

Old 04-08-2011, 04:41 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
I was thinking v8, maybe a vacuum leak then.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 391 Likes on 296 Posts
I def would've said something. Especially since it rode mint when you took it in.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
jade79
Laughing Gas
Take a close look at the engine and notice anything they would have to remove to get the manifolds off. Make sure they didn't leave anything unplugged like an electrical connector or vacuum hose. Also look for anything that may have broken if a wrench were to slip and hit against it, particularly plastic items. Some people don't concentrate on what they're doing (or get distracted) so thay could have left the gasket out all together.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jade79
Take a close look at the engine and notice anything they would have to remove to get the manifolds off. Make sure they didn't leave anything unplugged like an electrical connector or vacuum hose. Also look for anything that may have broken if a wrench were to slip and hit against it, particularly plastic items. Some people don't concentrate on what they're doing (or get distracted) so thay could have left the gasket out all together.
i can see the gaskets in there. i took a look around the manifold area and really couldnt find anything.

also- edgethis, im bringing it back monday. i just didnt wanna leave it in front of his shop all weekend.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 391 Likes on 296 Posts
But now they can say you did that over the weekend yourself if they wanna be real shady.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
i turned around as soon as i left the shop to talk to the guy. i made sure he wrote it down that i was coming back monday morning and why. ive had my truck there a few times before and ive never had a problem. but i understand what you mean.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 PM
jade79
Laughing Gas
Let us know how it works out. It will be interesting to hear what they say / find.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:04 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
UPDATE: i just took the truck out to the store to get something. it runs like crud but i figured i could use it since i don't have another vehicle. on my way home the truck started to sound like a Harley out of nowhere. (it got REALLY loud) its dark out so i cant see much but i think a manifold separated from the head. my mechanic botched up this manifold job.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 AM
SAF
Senior User
Originally Posted by octaneforce
UPDATE: i just took the truck out to the store to get something. it runs like crud but i figured i could use it since i don't have another vehicle. on my way home the truck started to sound like a Harley out of nowhere. (it got REALLY loud) its dark out so i cant see much but i think a manifold separated from the head. my mechanic botched up this manifold job.
Check to see that they have put the SP wires back in the correct firing order, also check all the boots at the plug, maybe they cracked/fell apart when the mechanic was working with them...make sure they are all seated at the distributor...

Old 04-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Xclimation
Senior User
+2 on checking the spark plugs.
A small barely visible crack in the ceramic part of the plugs will cause the truck to run like crap.
Happened to me.
Good luck!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:30 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Hopefully they will make it right, you should not drive it, if something gets damaged who is responsible?? Keep in mind that they may not warranty it since it was your parts they installed. (If you took a steak to a restaurant and had them cook it for you, you cant really complain if it turns out bad)

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold horror story