Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Festus needs help in Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This does suck! Man I hope it works out, good luck to him.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why won't it start? He's definetly not a newbie, he knows what he's doing...

What does he have in his load?
A crew cab dually truck.
See post #11 for a picture. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...named-her.html
Does he have a trailer behind him or anything?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:40 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no trailer, loaded is basically a front clip from a 85.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
How wide is a pickup dually rear end? Will it fit on a regular equipment trailer if the outer wheels are pulled off?
If there are guys along the way, we could each take turns pulling him for a while?
I could pick him up from Syracuse, NY and get him back up to Maine.
I'm doing a brake line and master cylinder tomorrow morning. I'll be back up 100% at the end of tomorrow...
But my hitch height may be extreme for a tandem axle trailer. It's 25" from the ground to to the top of the ball. Maybe an equipment trailer with an adjustable tongue would work...

Old 04-07-2011, 09:56 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Wish I wasn't on the other side of the country! Hope he gets it all figured out

Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
ya, shouldnt be a problem. who would supply the trailer though? hes too long for a uhaul

Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oreocreaming
ya, shouldnt be a problem. who would supply the trailer though? hes too long for a uhaul
If there was someone (or a couple) who could get him to Syracuse, I could rent a trailer and get him from there to Maine.
Or maybe the Mrs. would drive one his own trucks down? He'd probably prefer to be the driver. I know that's how I am usually when other people are driving...
Trailers, *****, Hitches Taylor Rental - Agawam, MA
I rented the Auto Carrier trailer when we towed my truck back home. But the tow vehicle on that run had a lower mounted hitch than what my truck has right now
I'll call them tomorrow and see if the tongue is adjustable...then we might be in good shape if they are.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:50 AM
ADTMan
Elder User
I have hauled 3 crew cab duallies on my equipment trailer. It is a 16' with a 2' dove total 18 ft. They haul just fine. Mine is rated for 10,400lbs. Bumper pull. It pulled just fine. I have hauled all sorts of stuff on my trailer. Other trucks and of course my skid steer and my track ho.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Did he try to call Kevin as I mentioned above?
The guy's a great mechanic minutes from there...

Or is he only looking for free help from someone on the forums?

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think he was looking more for some forum member help. Festus ain't a newbie as said before so I'm pretty sure wants to do the job.

I wonder If he is gonna stud it?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 AM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
It would be an excellent time to stud the engine, but I don't think he'll be able to get studs delivered to him in a timely matter

The coupler on the 18' and 16' trailers from the rental place are adjustable. The gentleman said there's about a 4" difference by adjusting from the lowest to highest positions. My truck is missing a brake line and the master cylinder is off as I'm in the middle of that job right now, so i can't go over and measure the tongue myself...
Is there an average height on equipment trailers from the ground to the coupler? It seems that most of the websites I've been cruising are saying about a 20" height from the ground to the coupler on the enclosed trailer WITHOUT an adjustable coupler.
If I add 4" to 20" then i get 24" and my hitch is 25" to the TOP of the ball. Subtract an inch once the coupler is around the ball and that's right on.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, I got some internet access for a short time ...

Don't believe it's the head gasket that has me parked, I was already running with the cap loose, It was running rough, losing power to a point I was going to get stuck in an extremely dangerous place, I pulled over and it died ... it hasn't run since, had it towed here to the Circle-K.

Yesterday I pulled all the GP's and #2 is the only one with water, unless it's a huge chunk missing that should not prevent me from sneaking it home.

The radiator is full of oil, I believe thats the cooler ... There is no water in the pan, oil looks good.

The CDR is bad, the hose to the intake plenum and the intake plenum is full of grease ... gel'ed oil.

What I do think has me stuck is the Injection Pump and Injectors ... The last couple times starting it, it started harder and harder, it has always fired instantly fom the very first time I heard it run (on a jug) and that was AFTER I purchased it!

Remember I got a good deal on this truck because the full system was plugged with something other than Diesel, looks like Varnish, It's rubbery like partially dried varnish, the truck also set for a year or better. Yesterday morning I dumped a jug of Diesel Kleen in the tank, I had previously been using Lucas, I think it may have dislodged some of the Varnish and plugged up the IP & Injectors, they are the only part of the system that has not been fully dissembled and cleaned or replaced, I have a rebuilt pump at the house waiting, no injectors yet, though I do have two other motors setting there I could rob the injectors out of.

My wife is insisting that she drive down here so I have wheels to run around in, I can have her (and our son) bring IP&Inj and anything else I could see the need for, they could be here Sat AM, We have nothing running that can haul this truck, nor do I have a trailer wide enough for the truck let alone the dually ...

The problem is weather, I am FREEZING!!! My hands are basically useless, I have no cold weather gear (I flew out to get this truck, was weight limited, had to have tools), It's currently pouring, It's supposed to be better tomorrow and even better on sunday, but currently I am wrapped up in my sleeping bag in the back seat just trying to stay warm ... No pitty, It's my choice, there is a Motel right across the street, I choose to stay with my stuff! Other then heat I'm fairly cozy. no complaints.

I am not looking for FREE!!! I have no problem paying for services, however I am not rich, I do not have money growing out my *** to throw around!

All I wanna do is get home safely!

Thanks Everyone

Old 04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
theres a guy who is in geneva lakes area not far from you at all. i put in a pm and e mail to him. ohio chapter said that he may not be around though, he may be in england or florida for the winter. i passed your number along to him if he can help. lets hope hes home.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:16 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
I've got a set of 8 used Injectors here!! All came from the same engine, BB codes.
They're in boxes and have been in a Ziplock bag for 2 years since I installed my new ones. They're probably in good shape because the truck didn't feel much more powerful when the brand new injectors and IP were installed.

I definetly have 1 CDR here also! I may have a 2nd if I do some digging.
I don't have a hose though, these CDR's are off N/A engines.

If your wife and son come down to meet you, they can stop in and grab them. I'm only 30 minutes South off I-90.

If you can't get it fixed up enough to get home, then is there anybody who can get ya moved from Geneva toward the Syracuse, NY area?
I could rent a trailer Monday and tow you from Syracuse to home. I don't feel comfrtable going too far out of a 4 hour window though, just in case my trucks dies also!
Syracuse is 4 hours West of me, and Maine is 4 hours Northeast of me.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:45 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a CDR tube(n/a) if worse comes to worse, I would have to mail it though.

Quick Reply: Festus needs help in Ohio