1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

99-04 super duty leaf spring lift in 71 f250

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea the ole Fords coming together today I hacked into the crossmember some more and got the cummins sitting almost where it needs to be gotta throw a radiator in there to see if its tucked back enough hoping to get some plate steel and start welding the mounts this weekend then take out the 12v and replate the crossmember I think I decided to leave the stock one there for now until I tear it all down next year probably and do the body work and paint the frame I just want this drivable for winter so I'm trying to move quickly but correctly hard to do both so Yall are close to each other wish I was out west more seems old fords are more available out that way in good shape to compared to my heep

Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read all of this thread... but the question wasn't answered. Does the 1999-2004 Super Duty leaf springs work with very little modifications ?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 PM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya. Yours is turning out though. Keep pounding away and u will make no problem. And ya guess so. Small world. And as for your question I just did the fronts and I had to build it all from scratch. But really simple and easy. I ran dodge springs in the rear cause they bolted right up. But crazed did way more work then I did and will be able to answer your question a little better.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:37 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Oops my bad I started this thread to show how the SD leafs go in our trucks and to help any questions one might have on this swap but I ran off course and started fabbing to answer the question Yes they do the front leaf springs will fit in the stock front crossmember (AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HAVE THE MILITARY WRAP AROUND LEAF) but you need to shave the bushings down about a 1/16"-1/8" to fit inside the crossmember mount the front axle ends up almost same location as it does stock you will need to make your own shackles to fit your amount of lift/setup the rear springs are not a bolt in deal you need 4 3" spring hangers doesn't matter what make ford Chevy dodge your preference Chevy hangers ar long and will give you a good amount of lift so you don't need a lift spring if you ain't going big like me I'm just guessing but if you get a 4 or 6" SD front spring you might be able to use stock rear SD springs from the junk yard with long Chevy hangers to keep the cost down should level out nice but I didn't do this route so I can't say for sure I chose the SD rear leaf setup over the dodge because they are longer and will give you a better ride feeling

Old 06-02-2012, 01:04 AM
ryanhablitzel
Senior User
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco
Oops my bad I started this thread to show how the SD leafs go in our trucks and to help any questions one might have on this swap but I ran off course and started fabbing to answer the question Yes they do the front leaf springs will fit in the stock front crossmember (AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HAVE THE MILITARY WRAP AROUND LEAF) but you need to shave the bushings down about a 1/16"-1/8" to fit inside the crossmember mount the front axle ends up almost same location as it does stock you will need to make your own shackles to fit your amount of lift/setup the rear springs are not a bolt in deal you need 4 3" spring hangers doesn't matter what make ford Chevy dodge your preference Chevy hangers ar long and will give you a good amount of lift so you don't need a lift spring if you ain't going big like me I'm just guessing but if you get a 4 or 6" SD front spring you might be able to use stock rear SD springs from the junk yard with long Chevy hangers to keep the cost down should level out nice but I didn't do this route so I can't say for sure I chose the SD rear leaf setup over the dodge because they are longer and will give you a better ride feeling
Yep. What he said.

You could do a 1999-2004 super duty spring swap pretty easy for really cheap. Here is the basics for the ultimate budget saver super duty lift.

Front:

Get a super duty spring of your choice from a 1999-2004 gas truck. you can get a pair pro-comp springs in 4.5" or 6.5" lift for about $275 delivered to your door.

Grind down the bushings as mentioned above.

Make a longer set of shackles for the rear of the spring. The exact length will depend on what spring you go with. I have heard 5 3/4" is about the sweet spot.

Remember that you will also have to have your driveshaft lengthened.

Rear:

Do a shackle flip with a set of stock SD springs from the Junk yard. Or better yet grab a pair of 64" chevy springs for a better ride. You will have to relocate the hangers a bid and get rid of the stock rear hanger and replace it with another ford one or a chevy one.

You will likely have to lengthen your drive shaft also.

So you could do a 6.5" lift for pretty cheap.

If you went with stock hight SD springs, you could have a set of Junk yard ones in for about $300 with no problem.

There is lots of info all over this forum about SD spring swaps. Check the 73-79 section. The swap is essentially the same.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:04 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco
Originally Posted by ryanhablitzel
Yep. What he said.

You could do a 1999-2004 super duty spring swap pretty easy for really cheap. Here is the basics for the ultimate budget saver super duty lift.

Front:

Get a super duty spring of your choice from a 1999-2004 gas truck. you can get a pair pro-comp springs in 4.5" or 6.5" lift for about $275 delivered to your door.

Grind down the bushings as mentioned above.

Make a longer set of shackles for the rear of the spring. The exact length will depend on what spring you go with. I have heard 5 3/4" is about the sweet spot.

Remember that you will also have to have your driveshaft lengthened.

Rear:

Do a shackle flip with a set of stock SD springs from the Junk yard. Or better yet grab a pair of 64" chevy springs for a better ride. You will have to relocate the hangers a bid and get rid of the stock rear hanger and replace it with another ford one or a chevy one.

You will likely have to lengthen your drive shaft also.

So you could do a 6.5" lift for pretty cheap.

If you went with stock hight SD springs, you could have a set of Junk yard ones in for about $300 with no problem.

There is lots of info all over this forum about SD spring swaps. Check the 73-79 section. The swap is essentially the same.

Ok. That answers my question.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:25 PM
jodyreed71
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great information

I enjoyed all of the information you guys shared.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM
highntight
Elder User
How's that monster truck commin along...

Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM
jodyreed71
New User
anybody have any ideas on moving front leaf spring rear shacles outboard of frame. i am trying to install dana 60 out of 96 f 350. the spring perch width would put spring mounts outboard of frame.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 PM
highntight
Elder User
I just finished welding out my front end where I moved mine on the outer side. I don't have a dought in my mind they will be strong enough. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them up. I went with the hp kp 60 out of an 80 ford not sure if there is any changes between mine and urs. But I don't think there is....

Old 10-09-2012, 07:06 PM
jodyreed71
New User
that sounds great. are your perches on the very outter edge of frame?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 PM
highntight
Elder User
I would say center of the leaf spring is on the out side of the frame maybe avtiny bit further. I will stop and take some pics in the morning and get them posted for ya.....

Old 10-10-2012, 05:50 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
hey been some time since i shared some progress didn't get to much done had to get my other truck torn down and then i knew i wouldn't be done this for winter so i had to get a reliable truck. since i left off in this thread i have since got the cummins motor mounts done and have the trans mount done but am thinking about making up a new one while i build a new engine crossmember i wont get to that until next year as winters coming and i dont have a garage. i also got my power steering and hydroboost mounted. i'm now finishing up the intercooler install just need to make the mounts for it and also make some for my universal radiator ill be running. have the front clip on for mock up and ic fitment need to do some more trimming of the front grille and it should be done. plan is after that tear it back down oull motor and trans reseal them fix 5th gear nut on the nv4500 and finish body work and powdercoat frame. whewww lots to do yet

Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
here's the building of the motor mounts

Name:  IMG_0772.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  302.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0776.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0782.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  205.9 KB

Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
i think they turned out decent if i decide to do this swap in my other truck i may try using the original mounts from the dodge and build off the frame. i was going to keep the original crossmember and replate it but i think i'll be getting more picky with things and try for next winter to be done i want to rebuild the rear 14 bolt with a locker and i picked up a kingpin dana 60 front so i will be rebuilding that save over winter and should have them ready in the the spring i need to pull the front 79 dana 44 this week my buddy wants it money towards the dana 60 build and ill put the stock 44 under for now.

Name:  IMG_0783.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  330.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0789.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  241.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0790.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  224.4 KB

Quick Reply: 99-04 super duty leaf spring lift in 71 f250