Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

I love my new radiator an electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Undermydent
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AKforceten:Can you comment on the quality of the Alumarad radiator application you posted? I am running a desert cooler right now (with A/C) in Phoenix. I'm shopping for a replacement radiator and you can't beat that 209 dollar price tag! If its a good radiator, I would like to give it a go. Thanks, Roy

Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 AM
fordfanatik
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for this post will be doing this asap on my 77 250

Old 08-10-2011, 10:42 PM
akforceten
Elder User
First let me say sorry for not responding quickly , had some puter problems. as far as the alumarad I did not buy that one but it is the same unit I did buy from 1-800 radiators there all made in china the alumarad is cheaper than 1-800 radiators . I can tell you Roy that the one I got is doing find. I'm also putting one in the bronco also from 1-800 radiators . I bought both radiators before I found that link ! I paid $260 a piece for mine at the shop rate, so the alumarad sounds like a better deal!

Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 PM
akforceten
Elder User
Your welcome fordfanatik, glad I could help.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 PM
DrainBramage
Senior User
Got busy at the junkyard today...

Name:  dkCsd.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  193.1 KB
The 3g alt and one fan are from a 96 3.8 T-Bird, the other fan is from a 94 v8 'bird. Looks like I have some wiring to research. Thanks for all the folks who have been participating in this thread, and of course akforceten for starting it! Makes it easy for someone like me to make the leap!

While hunting for the winged beasts, I also found this:

Name:  3ZQsr.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  217.7 KB
But they wanted $200 for the head alone, and I have no real use for it. Though it WOULD look disturbing strapped to the side of the 2.5L I6 in my 74 Triumph!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 AM
akforceten
Elder User
The 3g alt and one fan are from a 96 3.8 T-Bird, the other fan is from a 94 v8 'bird. Looks like I have some wiring to research. Thanks for all the folks who have been participating in this thread, and of course akforceten for starting it! Makes it easy for someone like me to make the leap!

Your welcome DrainBramage . Glad this could help you . The only problem I have had with the 3G alt conversion was a couple of bad connections that caused the alt to not charge . The other thing I wanted to add was if your looking for a 3G alt for FE motors I found the 3G off of the 95 mustang 3.8l cars you don't have to clock to fit.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:15 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
DrainB: I don't know if you are using a V belt for your 3G, but if you you might want to install a dual belt pulley. I tried mine with one v belt and when the fan is going it squeals horribly. With a second belt on it it doesn't make a peep.

Also, you might want to take a look at the Summit Racing radiators. I use one and am happy with it.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM
DrainBramage
Senior User
Originally Posted by akforceten
The other thing I wanted to add was if your looking for a 3G alt for FE motors I found the 3G off of the 95 mustang 3.8l cars you don't have to clock to fit.
The 3.8 Thunderbird 3g looks like its clocked correctly, I'll have to check again when I get home. Reclocking is not a big enough deal that I'd pass on it though.

Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
DrainB: I don't know if you are using a V belt for your 3G, but if you you might want to install a dual belt pulley. I tried mine with one v belt and when the fan is going it squeals horribly. With a second belt on it it doesn't make a peep.

Also, you might want to take a look at the Summit Racing radiators. I use one and am happy with it.
Good call! I was thinking about running a dual groove pulley on the alternator, but I don't have a source for the pulley. Where did you get yours? I still have the giant Camper Special radiator in the truck, and its in good shape. No reason to replace it quite yet.

When you guys did your fan installs and alternator upgrades, did you scab everything to the battery side post on the starter relay, or is anyone using a buss bar? I already have a headlight upgrade harness with relays, and now I'm getting ready to add the fan, and things are starting to get crowded.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You can always run a small section of 4 gauge wire down from the battery side of the solenoid to a combination distribution/fuse block like used in Car Audio set ups. That way you don't have all the smaller wires trying to be connected to the same spot and you need a fuse on everything anyway.

Just a suggestion.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:39 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
A double pulley from any ford alt with work. I used one from a 75 alt and put it on my 92 Taurus alt. You may need to put the washer between body and pulley to avoid rubbing. Or get one from j/y.
Cut the belt, shove a long screw driver through the alt, and torque off the nut.

I would take the alt to A.Zone and have it tested prior to install. I pulled two from j/y, tested both, and have a spare for when the one gives up the ghost.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:13 PM
DrainBramage
Senior User
Originally Posted by jsutton
You can always run a small section of 4 gauge wire down from the battery side of the solenoid to a combination distribution/fuse block like used in Car Audio set ups. That way you don't have all the smaller wires trying to be connected to the same spot and you need a fuse on everything anyway.

Just a suggestion.
Now that you mention it, I might be better off trying to find a clean "add on" fuse block for all this extra stuff. I should look into grabbing one of those underhood fuse boxes from the T-Bird next time I'm in the junkyard. Plenty of fused points and distribution block. Humm...

I'll probably do a dummy write-up on this with lots of pics and diagrams when I'm done, though the rabbit hole is getting pretty deep...

Old 08-18-2011, 12:10 AM
BrianG2
Junior User
Great info on the electric fan. I want to do that!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Goliath1975
Senior User
Jsutton, great diagram! Would a starter solenoid work? I know they're cheap and readily available Also, if you don't have a/c, there's really no need for the high speed, right?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 PM
rmodel65
Cross-Country
the Mark 8 fan has a slightly different fan pitch than the taurus/tbird fan

Old 08-18-2011, 11:05 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Goliath1975
Jsutton, great diagram! Would a starter solenoid work? I know they're cheap and readily available Also, if you don't have a/c, there's really no need for the high speed, right?
Thanks I got that from another site and modified it to the way I have mine wired up, and

No you have to use a solenoid that is made for continuous duty. The one I use I bought from ebay for $12. I guess they are $16 now.
Continuous Duty Solenoid 80AMP 12V | eBay

As far as the high speed goes I think that depends on where you live. If I didn't have it wired to kick on with the A/C I'd wire it up with just a manual switch just to cut it on if I needed it. Never hurts to have a higher speed available.

Quick Reply: I love my new radiator an electric fan