Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Senior User

IslandBlueV10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Trailer lights not working, Ground issue's?

Hello all, I am having a problam with my trailer lights not working right. But when I hook them up to my dad's truck they worked fine. So I rehooked them up to my truck and again they are not working properly. I then thought to run a jumper ground wire from my truck to the trailer, and now they are working fine. Ran the jumper from my hitch pin and the trailer latch.

So do I have a bad ground on my truck and if so where do I look? shouldn't the truck and trailer be grounded together through the hitch? Last time I towed I didn't have any issues.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM
WV Chapter LDR

Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.
Archion.Uberpimp PartsGuyMatt mvose OVC Archion
you want it grounded through the plug. grounding through the coupler can cause issues like blinking lights, blown bulbs, braking issues to name a few. Check the ground through the plug, more thatn likely there is just some corrosion.
JOIN THE WEST VIRGINIA CHAPTER CLICK HERE
Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Posting Guru

HrdDrv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HrdDrv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do not rely on the hitch to provide proper ground. Check all connections of your wiring, and the ground wire. Take your time, and never assume that when a trailer is hitched, it's ready to go. Let us know how we can help.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels

Tags
2003, 2007, 2008, expedition, f150, f250, ford, ground, grounding, lights, problem, trailer, trailers, truck, working