Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Elder User

cummins cowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
both times it happened to me it was natural to instantly lift my foot off the throttle, it was my natural reaction.

someone needs to get chris brewer back and ask him whats going on. its strange that its effecting both gas and diesel engines. so what I am wondering what is the dealer going to say if when you tell them all of us on here have seen the issue and all of us can't be lying.

I personally haven't been too worried about it because I have a 100k warranty and will probably trade off trucks then or soon after.

Most Wanted Disaster Services

Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM

2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy View Post
both times it happened to me it was natural to instantly lift my foot off the throttle, it was my natural reaction.

someone needs to get chris brewer back and ask him whats going on. its strange that its effecting both gas and diesel engines. so what I am wondering what is the dealer going to say if when you tell them all of us on here have seen the issue and all of us can't be lying.

I personally haven't been too worried about it because I have a 100k warranty and will probably trade off trucks then or soon after.
I don't think it's all that strange that it's effecting the gas and diesels, they're using the same trans from what I recall. I wonder if the programming is different to compensate for all the torque you guys have on the diesels though... It'd be kinda cool if someone could do a checksum (or whatever's the relative term for comparing the code in this instance) on the TCM programming for the gas and diesels to see if any differences exist.

Matt
2011 F350 - 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, Amp steps, Lockpick, AC LC6i, JL HD900/5, JL 13TW5, JL C5-570's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Rancho RS9000XL's, Leveled w/ 35" Toyo M/T's and 5 Star tuned
**Sold - 2000 F250 V10, 6.5" Pro Comp, 37" Toyo MT's
Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Senior User

TyWebb is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had this happen for the first time Monday. I drove roughly 70 miles then parked at my customers for almost 2 hours. When I hit the parking lot I remote started my truck so it ran for about 60 seconds before I hopped in. I was in a very large school parking lot so I rolled out very slowly (probably 400 yards).

When I pulled out from the parking lot to the very busy 2 lane hwy my truck stalled, rpm's shot up and I had to back off the gas to re-engage the transmission.

This issue has been added to the very long list of warranty work my truck goes in for on Friday.

2011 F350 4x4 Lariat w/ 6.7l
Crew Cab, long box, 20" wheels
Chrome package, Factory 5th
Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Junior User

mr.windows is starting off with a positive reputation.
TyWebb, Did you ever try calling that number to file a complaint I have been watching to see if you posted anything, keep us posted if your truck goes to Boyer on Friday, I would like to know what you find out from them as North Country still has not told me squat!!!
Factory 20", Chrome Pkg, Husky Floor Liners
BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover
Putco Boss Locker Bed Rails
Old 03-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Senior User

vrsc is starting off with a positive reputation.
mine did this exact same thing today for the first time today. I thought I lost my tranny
2011 F250 Golden Bronze/Arizona Beige Fully Loaded King Ranch FX4 with Navigation, 6.7 PSD, 4x4 E-locker, Color Matched Line-x Bed and toolbox, Icon Vehicle Dynamics/One Up Offroad Suspension Lift, BMF Novakaine 8 Chrome 20x10, Toyo M/T 37x13.50x20, Color matched Brake Calipers, Amp Research Steps, and 1000 watts of JL Audio and Focal

Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Elder User

cummins cowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
just counted there is 10 people who have seen it happen in this thread alone. take that back to the dealership,

Most Wanted Disaster Services

Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Posting Guru

Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.Painted Horse has a great reputation on FTE.
Doesn't that latest Flash address the tranmission shifting problems For all trucks built before Oct or Nov.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Junior User

Rich1961 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Cab & Chassis I drive at work has done this twice now. Thr first time I thought I was imagining things, but the second time confirmed I wasn't. Between the throttle lag and now this happening, it really makes you wonder when you have to go across traffic.
Rich
Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 PM

2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
Doesn't that latest Flash address the tranmission shifting problems For all trucks built before Oct or Nov.
It apparently helped some, but not everyone. My truck was built on 12/8 and I've had 2 run ins with this issue.

Matt
2011 F350 - 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, Amp steps, Lockpick, AC LC6i, JL HD900/5, JL 13TW5, JL C5-570's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Rancho RS9000XL's, Leveled w/ 35" Toyo M/T's and 5 Star tuned
**Sold - 2000 F250 V10, 6.5" Pro Comp, 37" Toyo MT's
Old 03-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Postmaster

kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
It does address shifting issues and it is an improvement but it doesn't resolve this issue.

I should not have opened my mouth about it not occuring more than once since the additional TCM/PCM flash.
It did it once today driving around town for lunch making this the second time since the December flash.

However, today's event was similar to Byram's except involving gears 2 shifting to 3. It recovered on it's own (doesn't normally self recover) after jumping to 3k RPMs while shifting from 2 to 3. The other times I had to slow down to force a downshift then continue (as if nothing happened).

T/H mode was off (normal driving).
I wasn't flooring it.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Posting Guru

djjoshuad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kper05 View Post
It does address shifting issues and it is an improvement but it doesn't resolve this issue.

I should not have opened my mouth about it not occuring more than once since the additional TCM/PCM flash.
It did it once today driving around town for lunch making this the second time since the December flash.

However, today's event was similar to Byram's except involving gears 2 shifting to 3. It recovered on it's own (doesn't normally self recover) after jumping to 3k RPMs while shifting from 2 to 3. The other times I had to slow down to force a downshift then continue (as if nothing happened).

T/H mode was off (normal driving).
I wasn't flooring it.
If I recall correctly, the wording in the TSB specifically said that it was intended to address this issue. That's where I got the term "long soak" from. There's no possible way that Ford can claim they don't know about it. If your dealer is saying that, they need a couple smacks with a cluebat.

BTW, I have figured out how to completely avoid this on my truck. I just wait until the trans temps reach about 120 before I give it anything more than very light throttle in 2nd gear. I can floor it in 1st or 3rd, but 2nd needs to be babied. The biggest trigger seems to be applying throttle while coasting. I don't do that anymore, either. At least not until the trans is warm.

Just like the throttle lag issue... I have adjusted my driving style to accommodate this one. I never have throttle lag, and now I never have the slippage issue. Hope that helps someone.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Junior User

derek witt is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same weird shift patterns that are not right - as well as the trans flare up that others are having too. It is wide spread. My best friend has 4 6.7's in his work fleet, every truck does it. Ford knows.

Question is, how the heck did Ford go from such a bullet proof 5 speed that was never in the wrong gear, rarely ever broke, took tons of hp and never complained, and was always composed?

The shift pattern/seqeunce seems designed by a grade schooler. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Ford diehard, but of all my Super Duties ,this has been the most troublesome for me. Cheers.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Senior User

chris60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjoshuad View Post
If I recall correctly, the wording in the TSB specifically said that it was intended to address this issue. That's where I got the term "long soak" from. There's no possible way that Ford can claim they don't know about it. If your dealer is saying that, they need a couple smacks with a cluebat.

BTW, I have figured out how to completely avoid this on my truck. I just wait until the trans temps reach about 120 before I give it anything more than very light throttle in 2nd gear. I can floor it in 1st or 3rd, but 2nd needs to be babied. The biggest trigger seems to be applying throttle while coasting. I don't do that anymore, either. At least not until the trans is warm.

Just like the throttle lag issue... I have adjusted my driving style to accommodate this one. I never have throttle lag, and now I never have the slippage issue. Hope that helps someone.
So this issue is only when it not up to temp? I pick my truck up next week, & this is 1st thread thats actually making me a bit worried.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Posting Guru

djjoshuad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris60 View Post
So this issue is only when it not up to temp? I pick my truck up next week, & this is 1st thread thats actually making me a bit worried.
The issue that I and many other people have and that is supposedly addressed by a TSB is, indeed, only when not up to temp. From some descriptions, there may be another issue that is similar but does not fit that description.

Honestly, I've experienced this many times but it has never been dangerous or made me worry. The transmission is under warranty for a very long time. This issue didn't show up for me until I had about 10k on the truck... I'm guessing that it will take a bit more time before Ford has a comprehensive fix for all build dates.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Postmaster

rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
My truck has not done any funny shifting since the 400/800 reflash. However, I had only scattered and minor long soak issues before the reflash. Maybe I am just lucky for a change...
Old 03-17-2011, 01:17 PM