1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My new Excursion and upgrades with help from CT Performance and Riff Raff Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:57 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Sorry, victim of my speed reading again. You already posted it was a 2" kit.

If I ever do a spring swap on my Ex again, I plan on putting W's up front and either modding the B's I have, or getting new B's and modding those. I'll also keep the 3.5" tapered blocks I have on the rig.

Stewart

Old 03-12-2011, 06:25 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Sorry, victim of my speed reading again. You already posted it was a 2" kit.

If I ever do a spring swap on my Ex again, I plan on putting W's up front and either modding the B's I have, or getting new B's and modding those. I'll also keep the 3.5" tapered blocks I have on the rig.

Stewart
Stewart,

I see the V & B codes you have in your sig. The B codes you have installed, are they modded? If not - What do you think the difference would be between the two?

Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Stewart,

I see the V & B codes you have in your sig. The B codes you have installed, are they modded? If not - What do you think the difference would be between the two?
No, they are not.

The main reason to go with modded B's is so you can still use your stock rear block and maintain the eye appealing front to back rake. Otherwise people who do the V code/B code mod will replace the stock blocks with the 3.5" tapered blocks to achieve the same stance.

If you ever have a day or three to waste, I put together a compilation thread regarding the Excursion Steering Wander problem that commonly plagues the 4x4 Excursions. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...s-for-you.html

It has a ton of spring information in it, mainly geared towards combating the steering wander, but there's also a lot of other peripheral suspension stuff that gets touched on, especially the RAS (Roadmaster Active Suspension).

Stewart

Old 03-12-2011, 02:20 PM
FROGMAN524
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of the finished product!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Thanks for the info Stewart - will do, I definitely have some steering wander.

Frogman - I'll get some more pics up in a day or 2. This weekend's schedule is tight and doesn't leave me any truck time. Plus I'm waiting on a couple of parts (hubs & rear swaybar)

Old 03-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Once you get all of your new suspension components bolted on, I bet you won't ever have to worry about the steering wander ever again.

Stewart

Old 03-13-2011, 06:19 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I hope so Stewart. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Here are some pics of the modded B codes springs (rear) mounted.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:54 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
pics of the front end and dual front shocks. Tranny should be back in tomorrow and hopefully on the road in a few days.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

That's a really nice, clean looking setup!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:03 PM
bazdog1
New User
I have bilstein dual shocks on my rig and I'm prob. gonna go back to single. It is noticeably "firm" since going to dual from single.

Are your shocks valved to be in a dual application? Mine aren't. If its a little firm I would suggest trying single shocks for a week or two.

I'm somewhat doing the same thing as you did, I'm ditching my 4" superlift front springs and going with v-codes up front with 4" pmf hangers and shackles.

I would love to hear if you go between dual and singles up front.

btw, good lookin rig!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
IIRC Cary said the front dual shocks were correctly valved for this setup. Still have not driven it yet. Have to wait on a few additional parts for the tranny to be delivered and get the tranny reinstalled. Looking at early to mid week next week - can't wait!

Clay (Riff Raff Diesel) shipped out the Warn Hubs the same day I ordered them and I had them in hand in 3 days. Thanks Clay! Those are installed along with a new Hub Assembly on the passenger side. I might need this considering we could have a good snow storm coming Tuesday-Wednesday....

Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Sorry to take so long to post an update. Finally got the tranny back in and got to drive it around with the new setup today. I drove it around town most of the day running errands and such, then tonight had to go out of town so I got to put on about 80 miles on the highway with a good 25-30 mph crosswind.

Here is the difference I have seen so far:

1. A huge improvement when hitting bumps, potholes and roadkill, it does not bottom out like it did before the upgrades. I kinda expected this since my original stock shocks were toasted.

2. A much better ride with less oscilations from the front end. It did not wallow or rock over RR tracks like before.

3. A definite improvement in the steering, especially with the steering wander problem I had before the install. Only been a day but seems to be gone.

4. On the highway in the wind is where I felt the biggest improvement. Prior to the upgrades I would easily get pushed around with a crosswind. The steering seems to be more solid and somehow made it easier to correct for the crosswind. I didn't get blown into the next lane like it had previously.

A short post for now, will post up some more info this week with some after pics, kinda late and I'm gonna hit the hay. I'll be sleeping with a grin on my face tonight. Can't wait to play again tomorrow!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:22 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bazdog1
Are your shocks valved to be in a dual application? Mine aren't. If its a little firm I would suggest trying single shocks for a week or two. ..................
The dual setup from Cary has the shocks correctly valved for this application so I have not had the same issue. It's only been a day but I like it so far!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Great job Rich. Looks clean and its nice to know it makes that kind of improvement.
Chet

Quick Reply: My new Excursion and upgrades with help from CT Performance and Riff Raff Diesel