1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 3 valve V10

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:54 PM
adgranley
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, peak n/a was 370 rwtq so we gained approx 130 rwtq at 5psi.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:17 PM
adgranley
Freshman User
Ok, so I picked up my truck Thursday and so far havent driven it too far but the little I have its very docile and power is right when you want it. The truck is dirty as hell right now but I will post some pictures very soon!

How the heck do I attach pictures????!!!

Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
ganzey
Senior User
so the way i see it, you are putting out more hp and about thr same torque as a 7.3. go gassers.

any noticable change in mpg's?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:20 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by adgranley
Ok, so I picked up my truck Thursday and so far havent driven it too far but the little I have its very docile and power is right when you want it. The truck is dirty as hell right now but I will post some pictures very soon!

How the heck do I attach pictures????!!!
I opened a photobucket account and copy and paste the image code from photobucket in the post. You can also load images into an alblum here on FTE I just prefer the photobucket account because it is easier for me to manage all online photos at one place. Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 PM
straightaxle
Senior User
Let's get some driving impressions, part throttle power, does it feel stronger? Does it accelerate with less throttle than before? How does it do coming up to hills unloaded? I image that it would build a little boost as the engine load increases, and hold speed and rpm right on up the hill.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 PM
brownie83
Posting Guru
i dont want to be ignorant to your project. creativity leads to great innovations. but is there any reason why you just didnt go with a 7.3 for your towing needs? i have had a 2 valve 5.4, 3 valve 5.4 and a 2 valve 6.8, none of these trucks could hold anything to my 7.3, especially since all of my mods now. again not trying to down you, just wondering, thats all...thanks

Old 03-27-2011, 08:27 PM
dkf
Hotshot
You could not get an 06' SD with the 7.3l. I'd bet money on his 06' with the turbo out towing and outperforming your modded 7.3l.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 AM
brownie83
Posting Guru
oh...didnt know he has an '06...didnt see that in the post. i wish him luck. but, i do know a few 7.3's that might give him a run, if mine cant

Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Spike Engineering
Senior User
Originally Posted by brownie83
oh...didnt know he has an '06...didnt see that in the post.
Didn't read the first sentence in the first post of this thread?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by brownie83
oh...didnt know he has an '06...didnt see that in the post. i wish him luck. but, i do know a few 7.3's that might give him a run, if mine cant
No matter how fast one makes his truck there will always be at least one faster out there.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 AM
straightaxle
Senior User
So here's a question, a gas truck and a diesel truck, both have same peak hp, the diesel will obviously have alot more torque, but which truck would be quicker/faster? Both unloaded and loads? If memory serves, it seems that the tow tests by the Mag's, the diesels are quicker up the hill, but the gassers are going faster at the same point on the hill.
I guess, the question would be, this truck makes a little over 450hp, and about 600 ft/lbs. Would it be quicker and/or faster than a diesel with 450hp and 900ish ft/lbs?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM
adgranley
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ganzey
so the way i see it, you are putting out more hp and about thr same torque as a 7.3. go gassers.

any noticable change in mpg's?

I havent driven it enough to check mpg. Just normal driving it should not be affected, but its hard to keep your foot out of it...

Pictures!

Pictures by adgranley - Photobucket

I still need to do some final touches. Like, a protective cover for the turbo assy. Right now its in front of the passenger rear tire, that and make a rain cover for my air cleaner. We cut a hole in the box in the front right corner for the air cleaner.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM
adgranley
Freshman User
Originally Posted by straightaxle
Let's get some driving impressions, part throttle power, does it feel stronger? Does it accelerate with less throttle than before? How does it do coming up to hills unloaded? I image that it would build a little boost as the engine load increases, and hold speed and rpm right on up the hill.
As far as that goes its too hard to tell with the drive by wire. Part throttle on the gas pedal doesnt correlate to part throttle of the throttle blades or, 30% pedal position doesnt mean 30% throttle blade opening. It goes by torque tables which are a real pain in the ****. However, Pulling a hill that before it would have to downshift out of overdrive I can now do in overdrive at 3psi of boost. The real test will come when I hook the trailer to it. It did fine before but now I will be able to stay in overdrive better over the rolling hills. That and its sooo much fun to step into it and feel that extra power.

As far as why I did this instead of a diesel? Well, my truck is paid for and has 49k miles on it. I bought it new and know its history. For a brief moment I thought about trading it for a duramax with 100k on it, similar truck, crew cab 3/4 ton but after driving it a day I couldnt do it. It was a very nice truck but they are not the truck the super duties are. There is allot more "wiggle" feeling in the frames when going over bumps, they dont drive for crap, less room in the cab, seats dont go back far enough for me... bla bla bla I like my Ford. As far as going back to the ol 7.3... I have nothing against them but I like it when I twist the key at 10 below zero after the truck sitting for a month and having it fire off whenever I need it. Considering I dont rack up the miles on this truck the diesel just didnt pay out for me when you consider maintenance costs and such. I know I only have 49k miles on it but the only time I open my hood is to check my oil, and change my oil. Which is only 8 quarts and a filter. And now that diesel is .50 a gallon more than gas, its really a toss up when it comes to mileage.

On the drag strip comparo... Lots of variables there to consider, gassers tend to be faster but sometimes not quicker meaning they generally have more horsepower and less torque, that and a much broader rpm band. Idle to 5k rpm vrs idle to 3500 rpm. That and I really dont care what my 7500 lb truck does in a quarter mile. Thats what my mustangs are for. However, I'm more into autocross.

I'm not going to start a gas vrs diesel fight, its just the gas works better for my needs and wants.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 PM
straightaxle
Senior User
That's awesome to hear! Do you know what the specs are on the 6.7 cumins turbo? They are vet are they not? It would be interesting to know the compressor and turbine specs to see what else might match it.

What rpm where you at on the hill in overdrive? Being that turbos are load sensitive, I would imagine that it could build boost even lower in the rpm band in the higher gears than it would on a dyno.

Keep the updates coming as you drive it more!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:37 PM
straightaxle
Senior User
Above supposed to read VGT, and cummins. Damn auto correct.........

Quick Reply: Turbo 3 valve V10