1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Can E85 damage engine if never used in past?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:36 AM
bluegroove
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can E85 damage engine if never used in past?

Hi all,
I have a '99 flex fuel Ranger 3 liter V6. I don't think it has EVER had E85 in it. If I start using it could it cause trouble?

I know the EFI system has to do some kind of adjusting to work with E85 and since it has never had to adjust to that in all these years I wonder if there could be a problem.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 AM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I am completely talking out my butt here, but I dont see how it would be any different than a truck that had its computer reset.

Also, I may totally be wrong, but think I remember there being a sensor that is used to tell whats going through the truck. Sort of like a knock sensor or MAF that if not working properly can cause some problems.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will come by soon.

Welcome aboard!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 AM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluegroove
Hi all,
I have a '99 flex fuel Ranger 3 liter V6. I don't think it has EVER had E85 in it. If I start using it could it cause trouble?

I know the EFI system has to do some kind of adjusting to work with E85 and since it has never had to adjust to that in all these years I wonder if there could be a problem.

Thanks!
you should be fine. There is a sensor that works on capacitance and will know what fuel you're using and make the computer adjust. Fill up with E85 and enjoy the crappy gas mileage

Old 03-02-2011, 06:42 AM
wp120470
Posting Guru

Only thing I have heard around here is one of the techs said he went to a one heat range hotter sparkplug. But he did it out of personal preference. He said it was time for a tune-up anyway.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 AM
bluegroove
New User
Thanks. Yeah I'd like to try a few tanks and measure the mileage. I just thought if it messes up the EFI or something it would not be worth it at all. I don't want to risk that.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 AM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The flex fuel trucks have the injectors and such for the E85, so assuming everything is working right you should be fine. Its like firing up the AC for the first time in the summer, you hope nothing has broken since the last time you used it!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Hi all,

Thanks!
it will clean the bejesus out of your fuel system!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Seeing as how you have a flex fuel engine, it's ok to use E85, as it's gaskets, seals & fuel system materials are designed to be compatable with it. BUT make sure you use a quality product & go to a station that sells a lot of it, so your more likely to get a clean, quality made & fresh product.

Ethanol has an affinity for moisture, so the high ethanol content of E85 will have been looking for & absorbing any moisture along the transport & storage route, before you pump it, so you'll want to be plenty persnickety about whose brand you choose & where you buy it.

As has been said, it'll also clean up your fuel system too, so make sure your fuel filter scheduled maintenance change out is up to date.

There is a big difference in energy density between 87 octane, E10 & E85, with the higher content ethanol fuel being less energy dense, so we'll need to burn more of it to go the same distance. As has been said, your flex fuel vehicle has a fuel sensor, to alert the computer whats being used & the computer then makes fuel trim & timing adjustments to make the best use of what it has to work with.

Money wise, unless the E85 is a lot less expensive to buy where you live, you'll be lucky to break even on cost per mile.

More thoughts for pondering, good luck on your test, let us know how it goes.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 AM
bulldogchief
Senior User
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Seeing as how you have a flex fuel engine, it's ok to use E85, as it's gaskets, seals & fuel system materials are designed to be compatable with it. BUT make sure you use a quality product & go to a station that sells a lot of it, so your more likely to get a clean, quality made & fresh product.

Ethanol has an affinity for moisture, so the high ethanol content of E85 will have been looking for & absorbing any moisture along the transport & storage route, before you pump it, so you'll want to be plenty persnickety about whose brand you choose & where you buy it.

As has been said, it'll also clean up your fuel system too, so make sure your fuel filter scheduled maintenance change out is up to date.

There is a big difference in energy density between 87 octane, E10 & E85, with the higher content ethanol fuel being less energy dense, so we'll need to burn more of it to go the same distance. As has been said, your flex fuel vehicle has a fuel sensor, to alert the computer whats being used & the computer then makes fuel trim & timing adjustments to make the best use of what it has to work with.

Money wise, unless the E85 is a lot less expensive to buy where you live, you'll be lucky to break even on cost per mile.

More thoughts for pondering, good luck on your test, let us know how it goes.
Pawpaw's right about the cost; E85 is not worth the cost of running it. Even if it's cheaper per gallon, your mileage will suffer and you will end up spending the same amount of money.

About your fuel filter, on flexfuel Rangers, there are two types of fuel filters; one is for regular and E85 and one is for regular only. Ask me how I know this.

Either way, if you have never run E85 and have never changed or had a shop change the fuel filter you should be fine....otherwise, I'd check it out to be sure first.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 PM
bluegroove
New User
I did change the filter a couple years ago and I remember the guy at NAPA needed to know it was flex fuel in order to give me the right one.

Right now it's about .85/gallon less here in Sacramento. That was my main motivation, but if the mileage sucks that up I guess there's no point. Maybe I'll just put in a couple gallons now and then to keep the system clean... hope it won't break loose some crud and plug an injector!!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
bluegroove
New User
Originally Posted by mfp4073
The flex fuel trucks have the injectors and such for the E85, so assuming everything is working right you should be fine. Its like firing up the AC for the first time in the summer, you hope nothing has broken since the last time you used it!
That's exactly my concern... the truck runs fine now, so why risk it???

Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 AM
bulldogchief
Senior User
That's exactly my concern... the truck runs fine now, so why risk it???
For what it's worth, I bought my '02 in 2006 from CarMax when it had 27k on it; since then I have changed the fuel filter only once, in 2007, and have run E85 three times in 2008; now it has 96k on it and runs fine. The only issue I experienced was that I averaged about 14mpg with the E85...it didn't knock anything loose or anything like that but the mileage definitely sucked. (One thing I do is run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner about every 5 or 6 tanks of gas)

Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 AM
greenpus
Posting Guru
I did change the filter a couple years ago and I remember the guy at NAPA needed to know it was flex fuel in order to give me the right one.

Right now it's about .85/gallon less here in Sacramento. That was my main motivation, but if the mileage sucks that up I guess there's no point. Maybe I'll just put in a couple gallons now and then to keep the system clean... hope it won't break loose some crud and plug an injector!!
I would run a few tanks (E85) through your truck, maybe 4 or 5 and then change the filter again. At this point you will know the mileage per gallon and be able to compare it to the mileage per gallon of gas. Then you can decide if it actually saves you money. From what I've read E85 isn't cheaper when you consider all factors.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:06 AM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bulldogchief
(One thing I do is run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner about every 5 or 6 tanks of gas)
why would you do that. E85 is a strong injector cleaner. seriously, don't waste your money on fuel injector cleaners because most are alcohol anyway.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 AM
bulldogchief
Senior User
Originally Posted by greenpus
why would you do that. E85 is a strong injector cleaner. seriously, don't waste your money on fuel injector cleaners because most are alcohol anyway.
I don't use E85. I only used it for a brief period in 2008 and that was it, because after calculating average mileage, I saw there was no financial benefit...especially when E85 started costing the same per gallon as gas at the pump.

So, I only use gas now and because of that I run fuel injector cleaner every 5 or 6 tanks.

Quick Reply: Can E85 damage engine if never used in past?