Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Starting a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 PM
F SUPER DUTY
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting a diesel

I am looking at a 90-91 non turbo F 450 diesel. Truck has been sitting for over two years. "Ran when parked" story. Limited knowledge on these trucks. I will be taking a couple of fresh batteries and some fresh fuel. Any suggestions what to look for or how you would attempt to start this engine would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Batteries you need 2X850 CCA minimum.....

If the PO will let you...... I would run fresh diesel right to the manual lift pump from a 2-5 gallon can..... so you would need tubing.

Adding a bottle of diesel power service to the fuel can first will help.

The filter you will just have to trust....drain it into a cup and check for water....or replace it... PREFILL new one WITH new diesel/additive before installation "always".

When attempting the start only crank the starter 30 seconds with a 1-2 minute cool down. Always recycle the GPs for each start attempt.... IE turn it off if no start and back on to do a start attempt..... attempt start when WTS light goes out. Light should be on for 10-15 seconds cold engine.........If is goes out in 2-5 seconds there could be a couple bad GPs.

How the system works......
93 year info.......other than some fuses mentioned the 7.3 system 87-94 is basically the same.

GLOW PLUG CONTROL
HOW THE CIRCUIT WORKS
The Glow Plug Control circuit applies power to the Glow Plugs, which heat the combustion chambers so that the diesel engine can be started.

Glow Plug Controller
The solid-state Glow Plug Controller, attached to the top of the engine block, controls the Glow Plug pre-glow and after-glow timer. It also controls the circuit’s operation by sensing engine temperature, Glow Plug voltage and after-glow voltage from the start/run circuit.

When the Ignition Switch is turned to START or RUN, voltage from Maxi-fuse K is applied through the Glow Plug Controller to the Wait-To-Start Indicator Lamp.
The Glow Plugs heat up in zero to fifteen seconds, depending on engine coolant temperature. After the Glow Plugs heat up, the controller cycling switch opens and turns the Wait-To-Start Indicator Lamp off. The Glow Plugs are now warm enough for the engine to be started.

At the same time the Ignition Switch is turned to RUN, voltage from Maxi-fuse K is applied to the after-glow timer (located inside the Glow Plug Controller). The after-glow timer cycles the Glow Plugs for up to two minutes, depending on engine temperature. The after-glow timer then opens. The Wait-To-Start Indicator Lamp will not light during the after-glow period.
If the Ignition Switch is turned OFF, it can be turned to ON immediately, and the Glow Plug heating cycle will start again.

Diesel Start/Run
The diesel engine uses two batteries to provide extra power for starting and Glow Plug heating. Power is applied from the batteries, through heavy gauge wires, to the Starter Solenoid (located in the Starter Motor assembly). When the Wait-To-Start Indicator goes out, the Ignition Switch can be turned to START.

With the Ignition Switch in START or RUN, voltage is supplied to the Fuel Heater, Fuel Shutoff Solenoid, and the Engine Temperature Switch through Maxi-fuses K and U.
The Fuel Heater is in the Fuel Filter/Separator. It heats the diesel fuel, melting any wax that might clog the filter. The heater has an internal thermostat to turn it on as needed at 32*F.

The Fuel Shutoff Solenoid controls the flow of fuel into the injection pump. With the Ignition Switch in START or RUN, the Solenoid is energized, and fuel is allowed to flow into the injection pump. When the Ignition Switch is turned off, the solenoid is deenergized, fuel flow stops, and the engine stops running.

The Engine Temperature Switch provides voltage to the Cold Timing Advance Solenoid and the Cold Idle Solenoid. When the engine temperature is below 112°F (44°C), the Engine Temperature Switch is closed. When the Ignition Switch is turned to START or RUN, the solenoids are energized, advancing injection pump timing and engine idle (you must step on the fuel pedal to set fast idle), allowing the engine to run more smoothly when cold. When the engine temperature reaches 112°F (44°C), the Engine Temperature Switch opens. This deenergizes the solenoids, returning the timing and idle to normal.

Diagnostic Aid for Glow Plugs

Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
That may take some doing to start on old crusty fuel. Definitely bring a few gallons of diesel, and bring a filter wrench to pull off the fuel filter. Hopefully you can pull off the fuel filter and at least dump it out, and fill it with fresh diesel to help get the truck going.

Also hopefully there won't be any air intrusion via the return lines...but it's hard to say, if they haven't been touched they should at least be OK to get the truck going.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:26 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
imo, take some diesel kleen, unthread the fuel filter, dump it and fill it with the kleen. take a bottle of starting fluid incase you need a little boost. batteries and a jumper wire (incase you need to jump the solenoid) make sure you check the oil before you try and fire it too.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 AM
boggerted
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oreocreaming
take a bottle of starting fluid incase you need a little boost
keyword here being LITTLE. Dont go overboard with the ether or you will be buying the owner a new engine.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by oreocreaming
imo, take some diesel kleen, unthread the fuel filter, dump it and fill it with the kleen.
Will the truck run on straight diesel kleen?

I ask because somebody once said it's not a bad idea to full the fuel filter with seafoam...so I did, and the truck would not run on it. I had to crank it until I got enough fuel through the filter to actually run the truck.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ghunt
Will the truck run on straight diesel kleen?

I ask because somebody once said it's not a bad idea to full the fuel filter with seafoam...so I did, and the truck would not run on it. I had to crank it until I got enough fuel through the filter to actually run the truck.
Yeah, it will run on it. When I change my fuel filters I always fill them with diesel kleen.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Sycostang67
Yeah, it will run on it. When I change my fuel filters I always fill them with diesel kleen.
X2 on the diesel kleen.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
What size fuel line should he bring with him?
What filters are the best? Part number?

Old 03-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Fordranchero
Tuned

Truck will definitely run on seafoam, if your other try didn't work it likely just did'nt get the fuel through first try.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I'll never figure out why folks think diesel fuel goes bad. I just picked up a 83 F250 6.9 4X4, dropped in 2 fresh batteries, checked fluids and fired it up, no problems. This truck had been parked since '94. As far as I can see, it needs a return line kit (ordered) and a fuel transfer pump (leaks oil, will go electric on that one)

Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
I'll never figure out why folks think diesel fuel goes bad. I just picked up a 83 F250 6.9 4X4, dropped in 2 fresh batteries, checked fluids and fired it up, no problems. This truck had been parked since '94. As far as I can see, it needs a return line kit (ordered) and a fuel transfer pump (leaks oil, will go electric on that one)
its not that it goes bad.it's just.........
How to Remove Algae in Diesel Fuel Tanks | eHow.com

Old 03-04-2011, 02:48 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
its not that it goes bad.it's just.........
How to Remove Algae in Diesel Fuel Tanks | eHow.com
Just because a vehicle has been sitting for a while it doesn't mean there is algea in the fuel. I've worked in heavy truck and equipment salvage for 28 years and have run fuel from machines sitting for 10+ years. I have also had algea problems with vehicles that had only been fueled from truck stops.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:57 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Fordranchero
Truck will definitely run on seafoam, if your other try didn't work it likely just did'nt get the fuel through first try.
No it won't. I filled my filter with seafoam and reinstalled it. The engine ran for a minute on the fuel that was still in the IP, sputtered, bucked really bad, and shut off. I cranked and cranked and ended up taking the filter off and dumping out the seafoam, and refilling it with fuel to get the damn thing to start.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:16 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Just because a vehicle has been sitting for a while it doesn't mean there is algea in the fuel. I've worked in heavy truck and equipment salvage for 28 years and have run fuel from machines sitting for 10+ years. I have also had algea problems with vehicles that had only been fueled from truck stops.
no.its just a possibility,and happen to some trucks that's been parked for long periods.this is probably happening somewhere in the world,to someone right now lol.
so when some people can't get a diesel truck to start after years of sitting,they may want to see if they have a plugged up filter for starters,if they run it off the tank of fuel.
when you can't see inside the fuel tank,and have no clue where the owner fueled up last then...well.

Quick Reply: Starting a diesel