1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

linkage cable - GM column to AOD ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:05 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question linkage cable - GM column to AOD ?

Guys,

Did a search and can't find anything useful.

I'm trying to link a GM 2 inch 4 spd auto column to an Ford AOD. The tranny and the column are too far apart for the Lokar hard linkage kit meant for this application to work. The angle from one to the other is too much for the heim joints to handle. I tried putting an arc in the stainless steel rod between them and won't allow me to select every gear.

Help.

I'd like to use a cable between them. Lokar only makes them for GM column to GM trannys. Idit doesn't have one....

Does anyone know of one that will work. Somebody here must have the same combination as me and solved it with a cable.

Thanks,

RMF

Old 02-27-2011, 01:21 PM
snook715
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a little searching around it looks like you are going to end up using something custom. Do you have any pictures of your transmission / column? That might assist everyone in figuring out a solution.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,195 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Have you tried contacting Lokar to see if they could do something for you, it might cost a few extra bucks but would be well worth it in the end if they could, after all they do have both ends of the kit. May give them a reason to start a new one.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:56 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
LOKAR

I have a flaming river column and AOD with a lokar linkage. Had to bend it some but it works.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I have a generic(Chinese) GM style column, 302 SBF and AOD. I have the Lokar linkage and it shifts fine, but the column is meant for a three speed, so I'm guessing that I won't have first gear(no biggie).

Old 02-28-2011, 09:22 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I put a 302 and AOD in my 49 F-1 last year and made my own shift linkage out of an old GM linkage. The column is from a 75 Chevy Malibu. I haven't driven the truck yet but it was shifting through all the gears fine with this. Maybe this will give you some ideas...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It really shouldnt be to hard to accomplish, like others have said you may need to make the rod longer or you could just fab it up using a cable system, I have made cable systems the past out of an old shift cables from outboard boat motors. You need to figure the geometry out so that the movement you have at the coulmn works out with the movement you have at the transmission, sometimes shortening or lengthing one or both arms. I just reworked my GM column in my truck. With some heating and bending of the rod and some minor welding I had it working better than ever in a couple hours time. Very rarely will I find a true bolt on fix when crossing product manufactures.

Rick

Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

So based upon responses from several of you ( especially Arrowheadfred {man that conjures up some weird images} ) sounds like I should be able to make the ACA-1804 kit work with some friggin around. I noticed that B&M makes a bracket to use their cable operated shifters work with an AOD - specifically part # 130-40496 or 495. So I'm going to give it a shot.

Interestly, I had sent Lokar Tech Support a wee note and while he categorically stated they do not make any cable kit at all for the AOD, he did make a point of saying he was attaching the instructions for installing the GM kit. I take that as a non-verbal suggestion that it could be made to work.

O.K., so I'm a lot happier now. Thanks.

Still winter here (if you can call it that) but at least I'll have the parts here for when the work season starts.

Again - Thanks guys.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Ferguson777
How have you made out with the linkage situation. I have the same setup and am having the same problems finding a cable connection or linkage setup I can adapt or use.
GreatNorthWoods If you have anymore pics of your set up I would be very interested in seeing them if possible.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:27 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Holehawgg
Ferguson777
How have you made out with the linkage situation.
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a reply. fergie hasn't visited the forum for well over a year. His stats are listed in his user profile.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:20 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ferguson777
How have you made out with the linkage situation. I have the same setup and am having the same problems finding a cable connection or linkage setup I can adapt or use.
GreatNorthWoods If you have anymore pics of your set up I would be very interested in seeing them if possible.
I decided against the AOD and went with an FMX. I am using the same basic linkage I was going to use on the AOD but it's a totally different transmission so I don't know how much it would help you. I recently acquired a kickdown linkage for an AOD that I will try to use on the FMX but I haven't gotten to that yet...

Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 PM
jonf
Senior User
Kickdown linkage

AOD does not have kickdown linkage. It does have TV linkage or cable and I doubt that would work on any other transmission.

Shifting the AOD from a column shift is easy. Two heim joints, one rod threaded on both ends for heims, bend the rod as necessary.

Mine works just fine and that is what I have.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Thanks for the updates. That's the fun part of reviving an old thread.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
jonf I sent you an email requesting a little more info on your setup. I don't like fooling with linkage, it's a bit greek to me but I guess if you just look at it a bit and figure out what its doing it wont be so bad. Anyways if you can send a drawing it would help. I also looked a bit closer at GreatNorthWoods creation and I think I have it figured out now. Just got to get to the wreckers and grab the linkage adapter. This will give me another option. Besides I like playing with this stuff and whichever works better for me is what I can use.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
jonf I sent you an email requesting a little more info on your setup. I don't like fooling with linkage, it's a bit greek to me but I guess if you just look at it a bit and figure out what its doing it wont be so bad. Anyways if you can send a drawing it would help. I also looked a bit closer at GreatNorthWoods creation and I think I have it figured out now. Just got to get to the wreckers and grab the linkage adapter. This will give me another option. Besides I like playing with this stuff and whichever works better for me is what I can use.
If you're doing an AOD, be sure to grab the throttle valve cable and all of the fittings from both ends of it. Also grab the shift arm.

Quick Reply: linkage cable - GM column to AOD ?