1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

radiator fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 08:23 AM
fordlvr25
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radiator fan

Does anyone know of a bypass system, and/or an electric fan you can hook up so its not running all the time. with the gas prices the way they are having that suck power from the engine doesnt help the gas mileage. let me know from anyone about this.

Old 03-13-2003, 08:29 AM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
radiator fan

You already have a bypass system on your fan. The fan clutch if working correctly will allow free spinning of the fan if it is working correctly. If it ain't then you need to replace the clutch

Old 03-15-2003, 01:08 AM
brianjwilson
Senior User
radiator fan

I'm going to have to disagree with that...
I've never seen a factory radiator fan (that's engine driven) that will 'spin freely.' If that was the case, when you started up the truck and it was cold, the fan wouldn't spin, and it wouldn't spin faster when you rev the engine. I guess I could be wrong but this is something I've never seen from the factory. I've heard of some kind of a different type of clutch that will completely disengage the fan. One of the past expedition vehicles on Earthroamer.com used to have this setup, but they don't show it anymore (was a dodge ram). He had a switch in the cab for it, I think it switch to off or on as needed, or something like that. He also had a button that he could push, and would turn the fan on all the time until the engine was shutoff, then it reset to normal when the truck was restarted. He claimed that he noticed immediate power increases and better mileage. Would be something cool to have. You can also get electric fans if you wanted to go that way. Although the price either way probably wouldn't be worth the mpg increase. Just my thoughts....

Brian J Wilson

Old 03-15-2003, 06:40 PM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
radiator fan

When the engine is cold you can grab the fan and spin it. It should rotate with very little resistance. When the engine is hot you can not spin the fan. If you can not easily rotate the fan when the engine is cold then you have a radiator fan that is not working correctly and needs the clutch replaced.

Because of this free spinning, the fan spins at different speeds depending on the temp of the engine.

Originally posted by brianjwilson
I'm going to have to disagree with that...
I've never seen a factory radiator fan (that's engine driven) that will 'spin freely.' If that was the case, when you started up the truck and it was cold, the fan wouldn't spin, and it wouldn't spin faster when you rev the engine. I guess I could be wrong but this is something I've never seen from the factory.

Brian J Wilson

Old 03-15-2003, 08:03 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
radiator fan

After setting overnight, the fan clutch will engage for a few minutes when the engine is first started. This is due to the oil
in the clutch settling to one side of the clutch. After that, the
clutch will only engage fully when hot.

(IMO) Add-on electric fans are a waste, and cause more problems
than they are worth!!!

Old 03-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Rancha9
Elder User
radiator fan

I put electric fans on mine with absolutely no problems... Bob, I don't know what kind of systems you have seen run, but mine works every time with no problems ever. I also post gas milage #'s that are almost 10% higher with the electric fans on than the mechanical stocker. I have a parts list and instructions and all written up... E-mail me if you want them! Hope this helps.

BTW... The reason I installed the fans in the first place was that the "new" fan clutch I got to replace my frozen factory one was just about as wothless as the broken one... If I had only known how much power that thing robs, I would've junked it the day I bought it!

Old 03-27-2003, 11:57 AM
fordlvr25
Junior User
radiator fan

Can i get the list of things you did to fix the radiator fan?
rprice@f-t.com thanks.