Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Are the brakes on the Edge better than past Ford brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are the brakes on the Edge better than past Ford brakes

I have heard that the "soft" feel and the continued sinking of the pedal after a stop has been eliminated on the Edge. Can anyone confirm this "rumor". If the brakes do act differently - what changed?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:53 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never heard that rumor.
What I can say is that with 29k on my wifes 07 AWD Edge, the brakes are done. SUPER low pedal, and minor vibration from the rotors under heavy stopping. I'll be doing them all around after the winter.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to Edmunds, the Edge's braking performance was enhanced for the '10 model year when Ford switched brand of tires.

I wouldn't say that the brakes on our '10 Edge are either exceptionally good or bad. They are just 'average'.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The brake pedal on my '08 Edge feels soft, but they work fine.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by thomabb
The brake pedal on my '08 Edge feels soft, but they work fine.
On our 2010 Fusion the Brake Pedal will move down an additional inch or more if you continue to press down on the Brake Pedal after the car comes to a stop. I have seen the same thing reported in other Professional Road Tests.

This can happen after an extended Stop in a long line of cars in a left turn lane. The Brake pedal will go down lower than the Accelerator pedal which has allowed my foot to press down on the Accelerator and cause the car to jump Forward unexpectedly.

I have an Appointment with the Dealer tomorrow for the first oil change (7500 miles) and will ask the Technician to check it out.

I will report back what they find, say and do.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Richard2212
On our 2010 Fusion the Brake Pedal will move down an additional inch or more if you continue to press down on the Brake Pedal after the car comes to a stop. I have seen the same thing reported in other Professional Road Tests.

This can happen after an extended Stop in a long line of cars in a left turn lane. The Brake pedal will go down lower than the Accelerator pedal which has allowed my foot to press down on the Accelerator and cause the car to jump Forward unexpectedly.

I have an Appointment with the Dealer tomorrow for the first oil change (7500 miles) and will ask the Technician to check it out.

Like I said I went to the Dealer today to get that "Free" Oil/Filter Change. I talked to the Service Advisor and asked about the "sinking" of the Brake Pedal - He said - That is Normal - No Problem. I thanked him and waited for the work to be completed. I also have a Technician Report saying everything in/about the Braking System is OK.

I checked a new Fiesta and the "sinking" pedal was the same as my Fusion.

I am not satisfied that this feature of the Braking System is Engineered properly and I think it is unsafe.

If I could figure out how to fix it - I would. I have to work that out. Your comments are solicited!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
I checked a 2011 Edge today and found that at a stop - continued pressure on the Brake Pedal caused the Pedal to go alllll the wayyyy down to the floor or to some internal hard stop(but close to the floor).

I still find this function unacceptable.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Maniac01
New User
Aftermarket brakes for Edge

I had the same issues with my wife's Edge. Her pedal was soft and inconsistent. I had to replace her shoes and rotors after 17,500 miles. I went ahead and purchased some high end rotors on the front and pads on all 4.

What an amazing difference it made! I put brakes on many cars before, but never had such a difference from stock to aftermarket. Below is what I purchased.
EBC's - 3GD Drilled (Dimpled) and Slotted Sport Rotors
along with EBC's Greenstuff Brake pads.

These were very pricey, but so far they have been working great. I put them on her car last spring. (Approx. 20,000 miles ago) The rotors still look and the brakes feel brand new. These brakes aren't perfect though. You can "feel" the grooves in the rotors slightly when you are hard on the brakes. Occasionally you can hear a whirling sound with the window down at slow speeds, but it isn't noticable unless you are trying to hear it.

I am going to pull her wheels off soon and check out how the pads are wearing. I forgot to when I did my last tire rotation last week. I will let you know how the pads are holding up. EBC recommended getting the yellowstuff pads with these rotors, but the Greenstuff pads have been great so far!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM
LCPullman
Junior User
I checked a 2011 Edge today and found that at a stop - continued pressure on the Brake Pedal caused the Pedal to go alllll the wayyyy down to the floor or to some internal hard stop(but close to the floor).

I still find this function unacceptable.

Hmm, I personally don't find what you describe as all that strange because pretty much all the vehicles I've driven seem to do that, now most of them are trucks, quite a few of which have been hydro-boost.
Not saying you couldn't figure out how to change it, but its not unusual.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by LCPullman
Hmm, I personally don't find what you describe as all that strange because pretty much all the vehicles I've driven seem to do that, now most of them are trucks, quite a few of which have been hydro-boost.
Not saying you couldn't figure out how to change it, but its not unusual.
The Dealers Tech say that - "They all do that". A brake pedal that goes too or near the floor to a positive stop will lose braking force if any Fluid leaks back to the MC. When the Brake Pedal goes down below the Accerator Pedal it is inherently dangerous.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:31 PM
merlynr
Posting Guru
My wifes 07 Edge fwd has free play in the pedal,but it stops fine. Problem is my 99 Explorer's brakes are always at the top with little free play and when I drive the Edge it feels like in the old days when the brakes need adjusted. Bought it used and now has 65k and no other problems and I think they put new pads on it just before i bought it.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 PM
LCPullman
Junior User
The Dealers Tech say that - "They all do that". A brake pedal that goes too or near the floor to a positive stop will lose braking force if any Fluid leaks back to the MC. When the Brake Pedal goes down below the Accerator Pedal it is inherently dangerous.

One question is do you have to push it all the way to the "stop" to get maximum braking power, or does it just allow the pedal to travel beyond "maximum power" point to the physical stop? I see a difference there, as one can take up the slack in the system and one would not, unless it is somehow "self-compensating".

I understand why its is "inherently dangerous" if the brake pedal goes further than the accelerator petal but it seems to me that there are a awful lot of cars out there like this, so I doubt either Ford or the NHTSA care.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
One question is do you have to push it all the way to the "stop" to get maximum braking power, or does it just allow the pedal to travel beyond "maximum power" point to the physical stop? I see a difference there, as one can take up the slack in the system and one would not, unless it is somehow "self-compensating".

I understand why its is "inherently dangerous" if the brake pedal goes further than the accelerator petal but it seems to me that there are a awful lot of cars out there like this, so I doubt either Ford or the NHTSA care.
LCPullman,

Normal stops are fine. If you are stopped for a period of time - a few seconds - and you do not pump the Brake Pedal - the Brake Pedal will fairly easily go down. Braking Force? Well once you hit bottom/positive stop you cannot exert any more Braking Force - if a slight amount of Brake Fluid bypasses back to the MC you will lose braking force and if on an incline will move forward - just plane old hydraulic theory.

Thanks for you interest. Yes, Chevy does it too - only easier.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:09 PM
LCPullman
Junior User
LCPullman,

Normal stops are fine. If you are stopped for a period of time - a few seconds - and you do not pump the Brake Pedal - the Brake Pedal will fairly easily go down. Braking Force? Well once you hit bottom/positive stop you cannot exert any more Braking Force - if a slight amount of Brake Fluid bypasses back to the MC you will lose braking force and if on an incline will move forward - just plane old hydraulic theory.

Thanks for you interest. Yes, Chevy does it too - only easier.

Ah I see, so there is the risk of starting to move like when your waiting at a stop light or something.
Well good luck, and I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Ah I see, so there is the risk of starting to move like when your waiting at a stop light or something.
Well good luck, and I hope you find a solution to your problem.
I have been to the Ford Dealer, Contacted Ford Customer Service and have a Regional Tech Inspect the 2010 Fusion.
The two following reports/letters describe the Official Position of Ford Motor Company:

I am at a loss as to what to do next!

Quick Reply: Are the brakes on the Edge better than past Ford brakes