Enclosed Race Car Trailer (plus)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 PM
DocB
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enclosed Race Car Trailer (plus)

Hello Fellas,

I am planning on getting an enclosed race car trailer to haul an 03 Mustang and other stuff sometimes. Tow vehicle is an 02 F350 PSD 4WD SC LB SRW. B&W Gooseneck turnover ball hitch is going on tomorrow.

I have searched, read, inquired, studied and generally kind of know what I need.

First, I would like to keep it as short as possible, but yet have the needed room inside. For length, I reckon as follows:

Car=16'
Space behind car=2'
Space needed in front of car (working space and cabinets) = 10'
Gooseneck=6'

34' Gooseneck, sound about right?

Secondly, average inside height of an enclosed trailer is 6'6". Now considering lighting and such, 7' might be better. I have been in 6'6" trailers, and they did seem 'low'.

How would you deem the trade off of an increased height to 7' for the increased wind resistance? (Same frontal design).

Your opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Got a lead on a good, used GN trailer?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:16 AM
bluefishgary
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok Lets see. I tow a 24 foot bumper pull enclosed car trailer with a
extended tongue, Ramp door back and a Jump door on driver side so I can get in and out.(Fat guy) Car is about 17 ft long and I have plenty of room inside. Inside height 6ft 6 for me its plenty high as I am only 5ft 7in. The higher the box the more fuel it will use. Most trailer builders can build any height most go in 6" increments.
A 34 ft g/n is a big trailer whats the empty weight/ whats the car weight??
Stuff weight???
Your Truck should be able to pull just about anything!!! My truck F-350
4X4 gas motor with 4.56 gears pulls fine at about 9,000lbs loaded trailer. My trailer came with 2 small light in center of trailer,I removed then and put LED lighting
on the sides at the top , the center light did not light up where I needed.
I also added two light in the floor one front one rear to be able to put car away in the dark,light up the bottom so I can put the tie down on easy.No more flashlight!!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:09 AM
DocB
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bluefish,

Good info and great idea on lighting in the floor!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:59 AM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for something similar for an upcoming move - comparing a GN to a bumper pull. I can get a bumper pull setup for quite a bit cheaper, but there's a lot to be said for peace of mind when going down the road. (Not to mention that the truck is already set up for a GN... and I'll be traveling with a wife and child in the truck.)

I'm 6'4", and would like to be able to stand up straight in whatever I end up with anyway, although I realize that the 'shorty' trailers like some folks use for motorcycles and snowmobiles probably drag a little less in the air.

Anyone know how much having a V nose or slant nose trailer makes a difference in mileage?

I will point out that with a short bed, having a narrow nose on the front of a GN trailer makes turning it around a less puckering experience.