Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Subscribing! Anxious to see how the flares work out back there.

Thats gonna be one fun X!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Senior User

bcrewcaptain is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bcrewcaptain is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
looks great...those strobe packs can be fun at parties...
"lick your fingers and hold these wires!"
Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Junior User

RSQ4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Keep those pictures coming!!! I have been thinking about going with Bushwackers for some time.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Senior User

Dubbs19s has a good reputation on FTE.Dubbs19s has a good reputation on FTE.
Got around to taking some pics since I ( by I, I mean the rain...crazy weather up here....+7 and rain today, -9 tomorrow) washed the truck

Click the image to open in full size.
don't worry, the plate isnt going to stay there long

Pic of the back with the sides of the body cut for the bumper. Haven't had time to work on the bumper mounts either

Pic of the cut flare for the rear door. I marked it with some fineline masking tape and cut down the center of it with a jigsaw( which cut it like butter). I should have used something a bit thicker because they still touch when the door is closed...i'll just have to do another skim pass on one side. Notice the piece of flare on the door only has 1 screw so far...the body line must be a bit different because the supplied screws would not reach the body. i have some longer screws that should work. I hope to work on it 1 day this weekend

Pic of the bracket that needs to be cut off

one last detail...the Excursion on the driver fender needed to be removed...because the ends of the badge are angled..the one on the passenger side did not need to be removed

I have a shop booked on tuesday to do the suspension swap...pics of that shortly
Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Elder User

TYZ78F150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Dubbs,
Do you plan to swap axles from the SD to the X to get the lower gears?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Some 320G on a bondo block will open up that gap in the rear flares easy and nicely.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Postmaster

1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold
Subscribing. Looks like a fun build!

Click - My Super Duty Tech Articles
1975 Baja Bronco Project
1984 Ranger 4x4 R.I.P Nov 2007
Old 02-19-2011, 08:31 AM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbs19s View Post

Pic of the bracket that needs to be cut off
Before you completely remove the tab for the bumperbar, consider adding a tow hook (this one is off the rear of a school bus). I only cut the piece that was parallel to the ground leaving the vertical piece to bolt the hook to.
Attached Images

Join the So Cal chapter here
Be Like Steve
Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYZ78F150 View Post
Dubbs,
Do you plan to swap axles from the SD to the X to get the lower gears?
yes, we're not even going to unbolt them from the leaf springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
Some 320G on a bondo block will open up that gap in the rear flares easy and nicely.
Thanks for the tip..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpnaes View Post
Before you completely remove the tab for the bumperbar, consider adding a tow hook (this one is off the rear of a school bus). I only cut the piece that was parallel to the ground leaving the vertical piece to bolt the hook to.
Interesting idea...I will keep that in mind
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Posting Guru

fordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud of
Looks like fun, I'll be watching!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Senior User

Had some time to work on the Excursion today.

Thanks to Shelby for lending us her nice spot in the garage

There is a body seam in the wheelwell that has to go

trimmed, folded over and painted

Spent some time working on the fitment of the flares around the door...they sprung a little bit when I cut them

To add a bit of rigidity to the flares, I decided to fill them with spray foam...this should also keep them from filling with mud

expanded and trimmed

masked for paint ( rocker guard)

Painted. This also keeps you from seeing white between the flare sections

soon.........

Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Senior User

bcrewcaptain is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bcrewcaptain is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
looks good...my .02
spray some bedliner/undercoating over those ends if you're not going to do a full cap on them. That foam can be worse than mud when it gets wet, it holds the water in the air pockets. I had to deal with some rocker panels/nerf bars somebody had filled with the stuff, it was BAD after a year.make sure it's 100% waterproof.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Senior User

Ok , got lots of pics but the mostly turned out blurry, I must have been shaking with excitement.

poor old duty getting ready for surgery.

Front axle out

Lifted front end installed in the EX

Rear axle out

Stock front end in duty..how do you like the nice chrome grille

Lifted rear in the EX

stock rear axle waiting to go up

Tires and wheels on

The rear of the excursion is alot heavier than the dutys. Most EX lifts have a bit more lift in the rear to compensate for the extra weight, so I put my stock F350 3 5/8ths block back in. in order to keep my shocks, the shock mounts were loosened and rotated up until they would bolt in

I stole the double cardon joint driveshafts off of the superduty to eliminate driveline vibration ( the ex has just single Ujoints at each end of the shafts. Also worth mentioning, I have a 6.0 powerstroke front driveshaft in, as it is 1 1/2" longer than the gas engine shafts....getting a used one in the scrap yard is alot cheaper then ordering a whole new shaft.

Crash bar brackets hit the tires when turning...so byebye

also not pictured, i had my custom exhaust put on the excursion, but the tailpipes needed to be cut off because they would not clear the gastank.

Ok took some quick pics outside

home beside the escape

Went to the car wash to clean it up a bit, then out onto the lake for some pics...also notice the plates in the right spot and winch cover installed

yes, it it taller than that apartment building

still lots of work to do, like wire up my winch, lights and front locker , then fit the rear bumper and get some new tailpipes made up...but i'm pretty happy with how it turned out so far.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Junior User

az2ny2008 is starting off with a positive reputation.
that looks sick man nice work
35 inch tires with 20 inch rims
soon to come lift and new wheels.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Posting Guru

fordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud of
Looks sweet! Nice job. A suggestion on the license plate....bolt a set of clips to the back of the plate (like ones used to hold a broom in the closet) then simply clip it to the rollers on the winch. It works slick, just pop it off when you need to winch...obviously someone else
Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
2000, 2001, bogger, bolt, build, builds, buildup, bumper, cut, excursion, fender, ford, package, pattern, pic, rear, tire, wheel