Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

7.3L w/ aftermarket turbo????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
7.3L w/ aftermarket turbo????

So I was just browsing around craigslist the last few weeks b/c my 300-I6 isn't cutting it for heavy loads... I wanted to get a PSD but I want a CC SRW... I found a couple 89-91 7.3L diesels CC SRW's close to me. I already have several trucks from the same vintage so I know the chasis mechanics inside and out, but haven't owned a diesel before. I know stock power is about 180 HP and 345 lb/tq on a 7.3 IDI.

I was wondering what that 7.3L IDI would get for HP and TQ with the addition of an aftermarket turbo? Maybe like this one...???
Turbonetics 15180 Turbonetics Torque-Master Diesel Turbo Upgrade Kits

Just wondering if the 7.3 IDI could get close to the PSD's 235HP & 425lbs/tq with a little aftermarket help????? Maybe there are other mods you guys know of that give the 7.3 a decent bump in power????

Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nstueve
So I was just browsing around craigslist the last few weeks b/c my 300-I6 isn't cutting it for heavy loads... I wanted to get a PSD but I want a CC SRW... I found a couple 89-91 7.3L diesels CC SRW's close to me. I already have several trucks from the same vintage so I know the chasis mechanics inside and out, but haven't owned a diesel before. I know stock power is about 180 HP and 345 lb/tq on a 7.3 IDI.

I was wondering what that 7.3L IDI would get for HP and TQ with the addition of an aftermarket turbo? Maybe like this one...???
Turbonetics 15180 Turbonetics Torque-Master Diesel Turbo Upgrade Kits

Just wondering if the 7.3 IDI could get close to the PSD's 235HP & 425lbs/tq with a little aftermarket help????? Maybe there are other mods you guys know of that give the 7.3 a decent bump in power????
Fabbing up a setup to make a 6.0 turbo work on a IDI is a lot of work. Plus, the 6.0 L's are made for lots of boost, even after the intercooler - much more than a IDI can handle. IDI's should boost around 12-13 as being a safe max and 15 being the max (with stock head bolts). I just recently put a banks sidewinder on mine and I can can cook my PSD buddy easy now (and he has 3.55 gears). Also, are you talking rear-wheel HP or Flywheel HP on that stroker? If those are flywheel numbers, I'm sure I'm seeing more than that with my turbo. So yes, a IDI can be built up to be more powerful than a first gen. PSD, is it alot of work? yes.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Well the 6.0 turbo was more a visual than anything. A Banks turbo made for the 7.3L is fine with me. I know the mechanicle in and out on the 87-91 trucks, and I found a white 90 F350 4x4 cc srw, rust free with a flat bed on it... I have a rust free white bed that would match it perfect from down south... The price seems a bit high but it only has 102K on it, with new tires, glow plugs and starter for $4500... It also has the 5spd ZF tranny that I like quite well.

the other truck I found was a 94 PSD SRW 4x4 reg cab zf5 spd with 280K for $2800 but it said it needs motor work and it's not a crew cab...

Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
First truck seems nice, although new GP's make me nervous. I would ask him what brand GP he put in, if its anything but Motorcraft/Beru - it means trouble. Also price is a little high and a turbo for it once purchased isn't cheap. pics?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
here are the two CL postings with pics... Like I said I will be new to diesel mechanics but willing to learn... I was almost leaning toward a 6.9 or 7.3 because you can find them cheaper and might be a little cheaper/easier to work on without a turbo attached... Then add a turbo later for the extra HP... Although I have to wonder what's wrong with the 94 below...

1994 F350 4x4 Diesel SRW
1990 F350 Diesel Flatbed Crew Cab

I'm not in a big rush to buy right now, but if I find the right price on a good rig... Well let's just say I'll end up with 6 before i rid myself of a few this summer. I am more or less figuring out the market and what to expect to spend when I do find the right truck. I still have all 5 of the below trucks which will be down to 2 this summer. Trying to fix and get rid of all the extras so I can have 1 nice tow rig and 1 beater for hunting. I suppose I only need one truck for those 2 purposes but have put to much cash in Thumper to let her go at this point...

Old 02-07-2011, 01:05 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Whats wrong with the first one is that it is a power-stroke, not a IDI. And yes, a IDI is a lot cheaper to fix/maintain.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:09 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Do the PSD's have alot more regular maintence that is required? We'd only be putting 5-8K on a year... Hauling a camper, firewood for winter, and hunting... that's all... My old man wants to get a big 5th wheel camper once he retires in the next few years so I told him I'd work on getting a truck that could pull it with ease. Then we will trade weekends using the truck/camper during the summer...

Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Not alot more maintenance, but the prices on the PSD parts will kill you. Example: injectors on a IDI are about $200 new, injectors on a Psd can run you over $1500. Plus a Psd with 280K is at the end of its life.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
ok... how long will a IDI run for? is it's life significantly shorter with a banks turbo kit installed? I heard cyl 7&8 tend to go out when you put a turbo on the older IDI's...??? What did you think of that 1990 F350 for $4500?

How often should you replace injectors???

Is the power you can expect out of a IDI limited by it's air intake system? I know the 351w in these vintage trucks has limited HP potential because they didn't have MAF...

Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
I depend on how its maintained. Some guys on here have close to 400K and are still going strong. Dunno about the cylinders going out, you mean the head gasket? The head gaskets will go if you over boost the engine but thats what monitoring your gauges is for. Truck looked good cab wasn't rusted out from what I could see and in decent shape. $4,500 seems high, ask him for a pic of the engine compartment and about SCA's (coolant additives to prevent cavitation)- a IDI engine with 102K on it should look pretty good.

Injectors and Injection pump should be replaced at the same time and timed every 100K.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
He's only an hour away... So i may go to look at it this week sometime. I do like the F350's with the D60 front... No ball joints and such to worry about, and a little more rugged for off road situations (which I am in often...). Seems like KBB doesn't ever have a good handle on the prices of older trucks like these and runs the price way below the actual market value. That's kinda why I depend on others and a little internet research to tell me what a trucks actual value is. KBB says "Good condition" this 90 is worth $2600 private party...

Oh and btw what do these 7.3 IDI's actually get for mpgs in mixed driving and open highway? I'm sure a turbo would change what you get but was curious what owners are actually seeing? I have a rebuilt 351w I could put in a vehicle for towing but would probably still fall short in power for towing a 5th wheel camper and mpgs would probably be a ton worse...

Old 02-07-2011, 02:23 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
I want a D60 also, hope to find one and swap over this summer. Most IDI owners see around 16 mpg. With a turbo, its 2-3 more, much better than a first gen. PSD. Guys who buy old IDI's need to understand that if they sell, they will never get back the money they put into it. If you buy one, expect to pay some $$$ on things that normally go after 100K and be prepared to keep it. With mine, I don't think I'll ever sell it - I'd never get the money back and I'd rather have a mechanical engine that isn't programable.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That Stroke could need glow plugs and a glow plug relay.

Glow plugs at Ford will run about 150 for all 8, NAPA has a glow plug relay for 33 dollars.

Then again if the oil has not been changed when it should be, could be several other things that run between cheap and expensive to fix.

PS the 94 Power Stroke had 215 HP, the 97 was the first year with 235 HP.

The way that Stroke add reads, I would almost go over and check that out with 2200 cash in my pocket.
That might be a deal.

I think I would go for that before I went 4500 on a 90 NA motor truck.

With all the mud on the 90, I wonder what the dirt is hiding?

Very few vehicles can be bought that you can get your money back on.
Some classics in very good shape would be the exception.

Bottom line, the Stroke will be more expensive to buy parts for.
It is also capable of more power than the IDI is capable of.
Both engines will last about the same mileage, if they are taken care of equally.
Both trucks proabably have several things that will need fixed.

The Stroke looks like that owner takes more pride in his truck, that could equate to better care, or then again that might just be he washed it more and never took care of the mechanicals.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd say keep lookin, you'll find a good deal somewhere. going idi would be what i recomend they are very easy to work on for a diesel.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
1994 F350 4x4 Diesel SRW
id be all over the '94 PSD rig if it was solid and is as good mechanically as it looks.sure is priced nice for a 4wd and all.
definitely worth going to look at that for sure.
iv noticed those crew cab SRW 4wd idi rigs,like that '90 are always upper priced in general.i guess it must be that monster turning radius and extra long time to heat the cab when out in 4wd on snowy roads that makes 'em worth so much more.

Quick Reply: 7.3L w/ aftermarket turbo????