1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What mods do you wish you hadn't done?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:13 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had side exit tail pipes before and I found that the exhaust was always in my ear when the windows are down. Not saying this is a bad thing but I plan to drive this and after a while on a trip it does get a bit old.....

jim

Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
I have had side exit tail pipes before and I found that the exhaust was always in my ear when the windows are down. Not saying this is a bad thing but I plan to drive this and after a while on a trip it does get a bit old.....

jim
I've had good luck exiting them just in front of the rear wheels and using a turned down tip....just enough noise to hear it well but no ringing in the ears!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
My worse mod has to be the polished stainless steel fender aprons. The first set arrived smashed, the second set almost a year later did not fit. They had to be modified, trimmed, forced in place etc. The next time I will buy reproduction stamped fender aprons. The stainless aprons mis-align the front end make hood margins unacceptable and generally p*** me off.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 AM
don7070
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ranger pat
My worse mod has to be the polished stainless steel fender aprons. The first set arrived smashed, the second set almost a year later did not fit. They had to be modified, trimmed, forced in place etc. The next time I will buy reproduction stamped fender aprons. The stainless aprons mis-align the front end make hood margins unacceptable and generally p*** me off.
That sucks. I was gonna do those. Were they from mid fifty?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 PM
orcas tow
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Bet it sounds sweet, Just need a set of ear plugs to go for a ride... LOL... By the way did you insulated the cab? Mine is dual 2-1/4" with flowmaster 40's... can I get a H311 yah!

Let's keep them coming! Good and bad mods!
I did insulate the cab with Dynomat, the problem is not the sound or loudness its the drone.
It has a mild 350 Chev, 1 5/8" headers, 3" exhaust all the way out the back with 40" long 3" core glasspacks with a crossover pipe.
The pipes are just too much volume for the motor, sounds killer but the drone in the cab at 1800rpm rattles your eardrums bad enough to take the fun factor out of the loud exhaust.
I should have known, I always tell my customers to error to the quiet side when planning exhaust mods as too loud gets old fast, too quiet you can live with.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
instead of trying to fix PO &*#% ups on the engine, I should have just put a long block in!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Big IV
Senior User
I'm still on the fence about putting metal in the bed instead of the traditional wood. When it's finished I think I'll like it more. Right now it is just a sheet of slick metal back there. I'm hoping in a few more steps it will look nice.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 PM
jon6foot4
Junior User
Glad for the comments on Exhaust... I was considering glass packs "Cherry Bombs" - now I'm thinking Magnaflow or Flowmaster 'turbo' mufflers... I'll be exiting in front of the rear wheels, under the running board...

Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jon6foot4
Glad for the comments on Exhaust... I was considering glass packs "Cherry Bombs" - now I'm thinking Magnaflow or Flowmaster 'turbo' mufflers... I'll be exiting in front of the rear wheels, under the running board...
Being very particular about exhaust tone and performance, I have had 5 different exhaust setups with side dump pipes on my truck over the past nine years including stock, glasspacks, Dynomax 17" and Flowmasters. All were too loud out the side and the Flowmasters had a resonant frequency at about 2700 rpm the was horrible. All would have probably been fine as full length systems, but the shortness of the side pipes adds a lot more loudness and higher frequency stuff.

The system I have now is perfect and it uses the Dynomax 20" mufflers (below). They perform really well and give a great low tone that barks nicely when I get on it, but doesn't wake the neighbors when I start it up in the morning.

The setup looks a little busy because I have electric cutouts to the straight pipes.

Rock on!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:35 PM
jon6foot4
Junior User
"The setup looks a little busy because I have electric cutouts to the straight pipes."

Beautiful... nice and tame, but you can be obnoxious when you want to....

Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
i have 2 33'' cherry bombs and 2 tips pointing down,about 5 inches before the axle.I am the only one the doesn't complain.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
The best sounding set of pipes I ever had were on my 69 mustang. [351W4spd] I had dual walker glass paks which was not unusual but the secret to their sounds was they were 48 inches long!! They went damn near the whole length of the car.

BUT, when you cranked on it did those pipes ever sing. If that wasn't enough when you let off the gas the pipes would talk and bark at you. Sweet!!! Probably most amazing was if you drove around like a normal person there was no issue on the loudness. The were actually pretty mellow.
jim

Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I wish I had been a little more patient and found a 5.0l out of a mustang, they put out as much power as my 5.8l and are not as wide. Steering linkage would be less trouble. a tad lighter, much more efi support out there in mustangland.
But its what I got and moving forward! All in all it will be fine, but you asked!
After all this exhaust talk, I'm probably gonna keep it quiet! I had cherry bombs as a teenager and yeah they are cool for like two weeks! Whenever my girlfriend at the time, would start talking about something that I didn't care about, LOL, I would just push with the right foot and LOL that would keep her quiet, and mad too...LOL! Still makes me smile after 28 years!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:32 PM
coopdagook
Senior User
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Being very particular about exhaust tone and performance, I have had 5 different exhaust setups with side dump pipes on my truck over the past nine years including stock, glasspacks, Dynomax 17" and Flowmasters. All were too loud out the side and the Flowmasters had a resonant frequency at about 2700 rpm the was horrible. All would have probably been fine as full length systems, but the shortness of the side pipes adds a lot more loudness and higher frequency stuff.

The system I have now is perfect and it uses the Dynomax 20" mufflers (below). They perform really well and give a great low tone that barks nicely when I get on it, but doesn't wake the neighbors when I start it up in the morning.

The setup looks a little busy because I have electric cutouts to the straight pipes.

Rock on!

whats up with those fans under there?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 PM
jon6foot4
Junior User
Some crazy attempt at jet propulsion?

Quick Reply: What mods do you wish you hadn't done?