Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Limited slip/ open... my experience/ my 2 cents

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Limited slip/ open... my experience/ my 2 cents

OK... let me preface this. yes.limited slip or a locker is better no doubt. I've had limited slip in all 3 of my previous 4x4's. I bought them new and wouldn't have it any other way. My current 4x4,a 1997 F250 PSD is a different story. I bought it used and had no choice in the matter. Its got open diffs and it was too nice to pass up. Well, long story short. I was concerned at first but there hasn't been a thing she couldn't do yet. Yeah, I can tell the difference from my other Lim Slip 4x4's. Especially in 2wd on slippery roads. And what does it do? It gets me to my Catskill Mountain property, hauls my 26' boat up the ramp and takes me and the family on our beach camp outs, loaded to the max with gear & firewood. I'm new to this forum and I'm in no way challenging anyone with the real knowledge. But it seems alot of guys worry too much about it. If I had the choice or the money to burn, I'd make the upgrade for sure. but they don't totally suck. Regards All.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:48 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 1990 F250 is also a limited slip 4x4. I now drive a 1989 2wd F150 with open 3.55

And so far this winter, hasn't been stuck in anything or anywhere. I've plowed through a couple of good snow banks, drove over curbs for shortcuts and whatnot, does the job fine!

It does take off abit slowlly off the line when the roads are snow covered but other than that. It gets me around!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
It took me some getting used to a limited slip in a full size truck. Our '00 PSD (specs in sig) has a limited slip rear end. On a slick highway, the limited slip engaged under slight acceleration and swung my *** end radically out to the side. I'm not a complete incompetent and easily gained control, but I must say the pucker effect was full blown. This happened a couple of times before I got used to the limited slip in the slick. My '86 (specs in sig) doesn't have limited slip and I've never had any issues in the slick or mud. I wouldn't mind having a LSD in my '86, but won't go out of my way to install one with a perfectly operating rear diff.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 AM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I prefer the limited slip both front and rear. I like to know that all four tirs are pulling. Some of the hills I have to run up and down here get steep and slick. Better to have all pulling especially when I have loaded trailer behind me. Hell my yard dropps almost 5' for every 10. It can get hairy just getting down and back from my shed lol!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I also preffer limited slip in both axles.

Once again, it all depends on what you do with your truck and where you live.

That takes more than two wheels pulling.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i plan to run a locker in the rear and elocker or arb up front

Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 PM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 2wd IDI and I absolutly hate the open rear! I get stuck evn on wet grass on a moderate hill. What is a good limited slip or locker to put in? Or even a newer axle to replace the stock 1991 axle without doing much work to make brake lines fit and the driveshaft mate up

Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have Spicer Trac Loks, limited slip with clutches in both my axles, because of the weight I haul on the bed.

Lockers and weight in the truck is not good.
The harder you torque on a locker, the harder it locks.]
When you go around a corner, the outside tire has to spin faster than the inside tire.

My first time out I went with a Lock Rite locker.
Twisted the rear hub to axle flange bolts off a couple times.
Went straight when I was trying to turn pulling a heavy load up a hill a couple times.

Then one day the locker went BOOM.

When the locker exploded, the metal fragments took out every bearing in the axle, the ring gear and pinion.

1300 dollars later, Trac Lok, all new bearings, new pinion, new ring gear and I was on the road again.

If I had it to do over, ARB air lockers in both axles.
That way I could have it any way I wanted.

Open for dry roads or hauling weight.
Locker rear open front for normal driving slick road.
Locked front open rear when you need to pull the front around a corner in bad conditions.
Locked all four wheels when things get real bad.
Locked four wheels and chains four wheels for when I want to go where no one else will or I get that call that someone out in the country needs their driveway plowed.

I have a couple snow customers way out in the sticks/mountains that pay very well because no one else will even try to go there.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by joe f350
i plan to run a locker in the rear and elocker or arb up front
That ought to handle well!

Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by IDI Diesel
I have a 2wd IDI and I absolutly hate the open rear! I get stuck evn on wet grass on a moderate hill. What is a good limited slip or locker to put in? Or even a newer axle to replace the stock 1991 axle without doing much work to make brake lines fit and the driveshaft mate up
I had that issue too, before I went 4wd. My truck came with the factory limited slip in the rear. By the time I got the truck, it was toast. If you looked at it funny, one wheel would spin, and I would go nowhere. Rebuilt the clutch pack and it helped.

Easiest and probably cheapest is to find an axle with a limited slip already in it (make sure the ratio is the same) and just swap them out. All you'd need would be some new spring bolts if everything else is still in good shape.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:02 AM
bubblegum
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it normal for a Ford limited-slip differential in a dually truck to spin all four rear tires equally when on wet/snow/ice, but spin one side more than the other (leaves blacker marks on one side) when the roads are dry?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 AM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
what year axles are the same width? or are they all the same. Id be looking for a 8 lug form a 250. Would there be any advantage to getting a 350 axle? Whats the average price of a good limited slip? I could do the instal with some buddies. thanks

Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bubblegum
Is it normal for a Ford limited-slip differential in a dually truck to spin all four rear tires equally when on wet/snow/ice, but spin one side more than the other (leaves blacker marks on one side) when the roads are dry?
Yes, more or less. The Ford LS have a very low bias ratio (around 1.8:1... bias ratio is the amount of torque a limited slip will transfer from the low traction tire to the high traction tire) plus when they wear, they get less effective. Limited slips are overcome by large difference in traction side to side. With equal traction on both sides, even an open diff will spin both tires simultaneously, but that something that almost never happens because of the variables involved. More weight on one side, weight transfer from acceleration or cornering, minor tire variances (pressure, wear,etc), the friction coefficient of the road, etc. The traction torque always takes the path of least resistance. Large differences in traction side to side or wear on the unit will combine to do just what you describe. The average Ford LS has lost most of it's effectiveness by the time it hits 80K miles.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
That ought to handle well!
That im im going with a elocker up front and a lock right in the back. I know the one dave had went boom. The heavyist thing i plan a tow is about 5 to 7 k. not very offten either my gf is out in the bonnies. During the winter it rains and get muddy. So for that i'm going lock right in the rear its cheap and uses the factory carrier so dont have to worry about back lash and a arb or air lock up front so i can drive it on the street rather well and turn.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:17 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe, the thing with them so-called "linhcbox" lockers (the type that fits inside your factory open carrier) is they can only take so much torque difference before something breaks - weight over the rear is a major concern with them, no doubt, but tire size can be an issue too - do your homework and check on the max size allowed by the people who make the locker, your 37s may very well be over the limit there.

Quick Reply: Limited slip/ open... my experience/ my 2 cents