1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

3 in the tree with Toyota PS question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
3 in the tree with Toyota PS question

Is anyone using the stock column shift with a Toyota PS set up? How did you couple the steering shaft to the toy box? Clearance problems with the shift linkage? Pictures would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think the Toyo PS swap is going to be compatible with any kind of stock column shift arrangement. The swap requires that the column be shortened and I think that the part that has to be cut off is going to push the column coupler up into where the lower shift shaft pivot and linkage arms are. The shift shaft might be able to be shortened and reinstalled farther up towards the firewall on the column, but then you will probably run into interference with the clutch and brake pedals. Their arc of travel carries then along side and close to the column in that upper area. It's so snug around the column up there that a special low profile coupler is recommended to connect the OE shaft to the Toyo box in lieu of a u-joint because the pedals sometimes interfere with a regular joint. The only way you'll know for sure is to measure. If it interferes and you really want to keep a 3-speed and do the Toyo swap, I think the simplest route would be to find a floor-shifted light duty 3-speed transmission and swap it in at the same time.

I feel your pain with this. I've ran into the exact same problem for almost the exact same reasons with my '65 Falcon. It's got a column-shifted automatic with a "spear of death" type manual steering gear design similar to these trucks. I want to keep the column shifter, but I also want to swap in a late model integral power steering gear. The column would have to be shortened and that would cause the same shifter linkage problem that you may have. Ultimately, I decided to surrender and go to a floor shifter. That's the problem with upgrades and mods. One change begets another which begets another, and on and on. Let us know if it will fit or not.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

That is not good news. My truck is a rolling, running chssis. No body. The toy PS has been installed. I replaced the original 4 speed trans with a 3 speed overdrive. Gotta make this work.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:25 PM
cwordsmith
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob,

What 3 speed overdrive did you use?

Chris

Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 PM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Chris
It is out of a 53 F100. I did a wanted adv on craig's list and found it with a fella in Connecticut. The overdrive is an R10 borg warner bolted on the rear of a ford 3 speed. I got the shift linkage, drive shaft, cable and electric controls with it. I have gone through it and replaced bearings and synchros. Gotta open it up again though. After I put oil in it it leaks pretty bad. Bummer.
PS: I will get the pre-lube tool boxed up this weekend and mailed out to you next week.
Bob

Old 03-15-2011, 10:18 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob- did you get this to work? I am in the planning stages as my steering box my have pooped on me and I thought I could go the way of the toyota box as a fix but never thought of the linkage problem. Any info would be great.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:21 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

cbass, I'm not there yet. I haven't put the cab on yet because I had to take the transmission out again and deal with a leak. A lot easier access without the cab on. I am determined to make it work and will report on progress.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, you can use the toyota kit with the column shifter. The place I used to work at, we did the exact same thing on a '55 F-100. I didn't get photos, and it's been a couple years, but yes, you can use a stock column, and the stock tree shifter. I do know, that we had to cut the column right at the stock box, but, we slid the tube up first, so we had the whole tube. If I recall correctly, we pulled the shaft out, and ground a side flat, for use with an aftermarket universal. We had to make a lower column plate, because the boss refused to buy the already available one, and could charge more for making his own. It absolutely CAN be done, and I've seen the little '55 driving around quite often since. It had the stock 239 Y, and we used a self contained box/resevoir on it, with custom built brackets. I think we used a box for a Jeep Cherokee, if I remember correctly.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:41 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

thanks wmjoe. cbass found a thread on another site where a guy did it and posted a picture. He is trying to find him for details.