1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

a real econoline steering fix!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 PM
mykdee
Junior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 12-14-2011, 11:52 PM
E350John
Enlightened User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not listed for the E-Series.

I took a look at the installation instructions. They note mounting the frame bracket to the center crossmember. I will look tomorrow, to see if the vans have that mounting location available.

The ford setup mentioned throughout this thread, is van specific, and mounts to the frame on the passenger side.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Millerfish
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stabilizer Brackets and hardware used $20 on ebay...

E350 / E450 Ford Econoline Steering Stabilizer Brackets | eBay

Old 01-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Motomedic
Freshman User
I finally got around to installing my damper on my 05 E350, and as I live on a dirt road, evaluations were quick and positive. The damper made a huge difference in the overall stability of the van. I can't speak on the differences between the various aftermarket versions and the Ford setup, but this was the best $130 I've spent on the van so far. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. :thumb

Old 01-29-2012, 05:42 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
As this thread has matured over time I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any down sides to a stabilizer as it affects snow or ice-covered roads while counter steering during a skid or slide?

I'm highly tempted to throw down for the Ford kit but the snow/ice thing is of high interest.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 AM
PStruwing
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
As this thread has matured over time I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any down sides to a stabilizer as it affects snow or ice-covered roads while counter steering during a skid or slide?

I'm highly tempted to throw down for the Ford kit but the snow/ice thing is of high interest.
Coming from this Frost Bitten Canadian Boy that has drive a few cars with the dampener it will not affect you in any way on slippery roads. In fact it prevent kick back for those times you are slipping and then find traction.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 AM
tsbrewers
Senior User
Originally Posted by Millerfish
Stabilizer Brackets and hardware used $20 on ebay...

E350 / E450 Ford Econoline Steering Stabilizer Brackets | eBay
I saw you just got this from a junk yard, wondering why you decided to sell it?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Millerfish
New User
tsbrewers
Mine is on the van and I am very happy with the improvement it made. I just thought someone would be interested in the one on ebay. Hard to believe it sold for $100...

Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 AM
tsbrewers
Senior User
Ok, I thought it was yours. I can't believe it went for that either. I had a snipe set for $75 and I thought I would get it for half that. O-well, I guess I will have to buy a new set. Thanks,

Brew

Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought it ....some jerk off was bidding against me constantly.....I basically paid brand new OEM price for it including shipping.....Ford of Canada wants over 200 ! Now I have to buy the shock and wait for warmer weather to install it .........

Old 02-04-2012, 05:10 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by blageurt
I bought it ....some jerk off was bidding against me constantly.....I basically paid brand new OEM price for it including shipping.....Ford of Canada wants over 200 ! Now I have to buy the shock and wait for warmer weather to install it .........
An auction sniper is your best friend on FleaBay----it can help prevent over paying for something and also reduce that adrenalin rush from beating another bidder. Set your sniper at the max you'll pay including shipping and walk away. You win it or not without watching it count down to close.

Most anything on FleaBay can be found again depending how much patience you have.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 AM
tsbrewers
Senior User
Look at it this way, even though it was near new price you have everything you need. No need to go out and find the right bolts, or 3 trips to the hardware store, etc.

Brew

Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 AM
andrewzx92000
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi folks. this is Andrew the origional poster of this improvement. I recently noticed my steering getting a little looser than usual so i checked my stabilizer.
I noticed the end on the drag link,(the small end) was moving sideways about 1/4 of an inch. I figured it wouldn't make much difference, there was no length ways slop at all.
So I put a washer behind the Ford nut that has the washer permanently on it and it took up the slack and made it a bit tight. The steering is the best it has ever been. I think that if that was too tight it would tear up the rubber bushing in the end of the dampener, but if its too loose there it does make a difference because the initial movement of the steering is not dampened because all it is doing is moving the dampener sideways to take up the looseness.
Another thing I noticed is that I assembled the bracket with the u bolts around the back side of the drag link bar to where the nuts of the bracket were facing the radiator hose. I had checked for clearance when I put it on but a year later I noticed a small scrape mark in my bottom radiator hose. When the radiator hose expands one of the nuts on the stabilizer bracket was rubbing the hose. I think it would have caused me problems in the long run, I just check stuff a lot.
One problem with not checking this is I decided to put a new bottom radiator hose on it and went to Ford, they want $140 for the bottom radiator hose because they make you buy the whole assembly. Oil cooler hoses, tank hose, and all the other stuff. I understand if you are replacing the hoses you need this but they didn't allow for someone who just damages a hose and needs the one part. I went to all the other stores aftermarket and no one lists a bottom radiator hose for a V10 at all, you have to go to Ford.
I took my bracket off and turned the u bolts to where they are facing away from the radiator hose so it won't happen again. I went to the hardware store and bought a metal pipe joiner with threads, I guess its called a nipple ( about 4 inches long and threads on each end. I don't recall the diameter, but I had the hose with me and it fit tight on the hose. I cut the hose where it was damaged. It gave me over 2 inches that I could push the hose on each end and so I put double hose clamps on it and its working fine for two
bucks
Just thought I would mention this so you guys can keep a look at your bottom radiator hose. The drag link moves up and down as it goes back and forth, I knew this but mine was just touching the radiator hose under certain movement apparently.
I looked on my other vans and there was no clearance problem at all 2002, but the 2005 has a different routing for the radiator hose.
I would hate someone to loose a hose, so please check your clearance.
The other day I drove my 4th van that I don't use much and it doesn't have the stabilizer on it, and what a flash back that was, horrible stability, wandering and I remember how tired it would make me after a couple of hundred miles.
Andrew.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 AM
andrewzx92000
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
If you go to page 2 of this post and scroll down to my flicker photos of the dampener the second photo, (middle one) shows the brackets pointing up with the nuts facing the radiator hose. I just moved the bracket to the other side of the arm and put the u bolts the other way around and moved the whole thing before tightening to where it was as straight as possible without interfering with anything, and I checked it with my son turning the wheels lock to lock to make sure there was no interference.
Andrew.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:10 AM
tsbrewers
Senior User
Thanks for the update and the original post. I am heading out to the junk yard as we speak to see if I can find this setup, and a sway bar.

Brew

Quick Reply: a real econoline steering fix!