1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

a real econoline steering fix!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by tiopet
Perfect, that's the one. Thank you

Send the man some Reps---he deserves 'em!

Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 PM
moto377
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Steering Complaint

I have a 2011 E350 passenger van with the 5.4L, 24k miles. I have a big family and use it for long trips and vacations. Overall, I really like the van but my biggest complaint is definitely the steering. It tends to wander a bit, especially at highway speeds. Requires allot of user input, and can get tiring during an all day trip having to concentrate so much. The front end it tight and aligned. When I saw this thread I was like, "whew, I'm not crazy!"

Assuming the front end it tight, aligned and the OEM shocks are in good order, will the stabilizer make that big of a difference on a newer van? If so, what is the best stabilizer kit to go with?

If I can solve this problem, I will look forward to taking this truck on long trips.

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 AM
rebar13
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA

The drag link>Pitman arm ball joint can be twisted axially and it not be a problem---its meant to do that. Any side-to-side slop would be a huge concern though. Replacing the drag link is pretty easy since it only requires a few hand tools, NAPA and a few other outfits have them new for about $80, the lower grade but still good enough for the most part.

With your anticipated loads and speeds its best to work all this out before hitting the road.
After replacing the center drag link.. ($40 from rockauto) Mine steers much tighter.. Instead of the 3-4" of steering wheel dead band slack, it now has half that amount or less.

I ran it with and without the damper on the interstate and honestly cant tell any difference. Im also running 265's

Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by rebar13
After replacing the center drag link.. ($40 from rockauto)
Just out of curiosity how much was shipping?

I've not yet bought from Rock Auto---Amazon has been my source forMoog etc.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:00 PM
moto377
New User
Since mine is a 2011 E350 w/24k miles and everything is tight on the front end, I am trying to figure out what is the next step to take. I think the stabilizer is the way to go, but I am new to Ford trucks and looking for advice.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Vanaddiction
Senior User
I would certainly give it a try moto. It has helped on my '08 with 30k for the same conditions you stated. My stabilizer kit was OEM, but came free of charge, off an older E-350 cube-van with duals. You'll want to use a new "shock" from KYB or Monroe, about $35 at most parts suppliers.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Moto I'm wondering if what you're experiencing is the front end wandering or perhaps the rear end inducing what you're feeling through the steering wheel?

What size and load range tires are you running, is a rear anti-sway bar installed?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:29 AM
moto377
New User
Tires are 225/75-16 Load range E. Ford reccomends 80psi read, 60 psi front. Not sure about the rear anti-sway bar. It would need to have come OEM.

My assessment is that the steering feels like it takes alot of steering wheel movement in order to steer the vehicle a little either to the left or right. Everything in my front end is tight, but is feels light a steering gearbox gearing ratio issue. In other words, alot of steering wheel movement to move the tires a little left or right as compared to a mini-van or standard car. The E350s ratio makes turning the wheel easy on such a big truck at slow speeds (or stopped), especially if it was carrying a heavy load, but the trade-off is the sense of wandering at higher speeds in a straight line.

I can see the stabilizer helping, but maybe not the main fix. Just my perception. I plan on giving it a try for sure.

I also thought going to bigger tires, like 245/75 -16s might help with straight line tracking as well. This size comes on E350s as well.

I appreciate all the help and comments. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Moto it would seem what you're experiencing is a quirk of that gearbox, completely standard and nothing at all wrong with your van per se. The steering stabilizer might be a solution if nothing more than to "hold" your last steering wheel input, making you feel as though constant correction was no longer necessary. Ford has always had that sort of steering feel although in the later years its less pronounced. I also found it annoying and simply avoided Ford vans for a long long time.

The 245's will tend to wander on the road surface, essentially finding any slight depression or rut, pulling your van in that direction---an even larger tire would only exaggerate that effect. You seem to be aware of this already though.

Personally I'd highly recommend the rear sway bar if its not already equipped. If you'd like to explore the options there look for Hellwig or Roadmaster Suspension parts, Hellwig being the (slightly) less alternative. (Roadmaster has something called "active suspension" as well as traditional sway bars, both front and rear.)

Speaking of sway bars keep an eye on the front and replace any rubber or urethane bushings if they become worn and don't keep it tight to the suspension. Check the link bolts too if so equipped.

Your call on going the expense for the stabilizer!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM
alafiariver55
New User
I bought a stabilizer with brackets and bolts at a junk yard today for $50.00. It was on a 2004 E350 ambulance. I'm going to put a new Monroe SC-2955 on when I install it on my 1995 Airstream B-190 (E-350). Thanks for all the posts and info.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:17 AM
tiopet
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boulderguy
Look like this? RockAuto.com -

I got that part from rockauto.com and then got under the van to install it.
Hey ho, it's not the right one
That part is the upper steering shaft. I need the lower steering shaft with the U-joint and rubber joint.
Anybody have a part number for the lower one?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:14 AM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, what a difference in my 1990 E350!

Added the Monroe kit and it handles much much better with less wandering! Ended up welding the frame bracket on, since it's pretty tight to use the bolts that come with the kit.

Now for the 4 Bilstein shocks....autocross, here I come!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:45 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
will a Gabriel stabilizer work as good as Monroe?

When I started searching online for the stabilizer brackets, I found this
Gabriel steering stabilizer kit Gabriel steering stabilizer kit
and am wondering if it will work as good as the Monroe. For what it's worth, the kits is about $30 including brackets. I thought for this price, I could throw out the stabilizer bar and buy the Monroe and still be ahead of the game.

Any thoughts or comments?

I called Les Scwhab tires and they wanted about $130 including the install labor. Talk about inflated prices for a $30 part. Their labor charge is only $18.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:07 PM
ziobro
Freshman User
The somewhat critical bracket that mounts to the frame is different than the one I ordered through ford. The four bolt backing plate looks like it is designed to overlay the frame on the outside, associated bracket on inside. I figure you would then drill through the frame. For $100 more it would be worth it to me to get the correct ford bracket that lined up with pre-existing holes in my chassis. I know it is in the right horizontal plane as the L shape cradles the frame and the holes lined up. Amazing difference in the elimination of drift at speed. Fairly easy do it yourself task with correct parts.
Good luck

Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Gabriel brackets

Originally Posted by ziobro
The somewhat critical bracket that mounts to the frame is different than the one I ordered through ford. The four bolt backing plate looks like it is designed to overlay the frame on the outside, associated bracket on inside. I figure you would then drill through the frame. For $100 more it would be worth it to me to get the correct ford bracket that lined up with pre-existing holes in my chassis. I know it is in the right horizontal plane as the L shape cradles the frame and the holes lined up. Amazing difference in the elimination of drift at speed. Fairly easy do it yourself task with correct parts.
Good luck
I called Gabriel and they said it's supposed to be made specifically for Ford. The holes should line up. I should go to O'Reilly or Autozone and order the kit. If it does not work, I could return it. I will still go with the Monroe stabilizer as that is the one that people have tried.

Quick Reply: a real econoline steering fix!