6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2010 King Ranch 6,400 mi found on road dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both of you are right. I worked on one not too long ago that kept dying when the tank got low. Turned out the sending unit has a valve roughly 2" above the bottom of the sending unit. This valve popped out of the piping. When the fuel level got low enough, it was sucking air through the remaining hole (effectively, out of fuel). Even though there was 1/4 tank left. Bad sending unit. I have also replaced high pressure pumps for exactly what you experienced.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not running out of fuel gents.
Shavings in line is not from no fuel.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
One thing I forgot to mention, the dealer said the dash was alternating between the wrench and oil fault symbols. I guess I didn't leave the ignition on long enough after cranking to wait and see the oil can fault come on after the wrench.....

Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix
This sounds EGR related to me. Could be a EGT temp sensor but it sounds like it had enough time to cool off waiting on fuel and stuff.

EGR/EGR electronics.

There is a way to start it if you really had to.
I was thinking the same thing when I first started reading this thread. Sounds like a bit more is involved from further reading.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wp6529
If we assume that the MTE indication was even within 10 miles of correct, there was so little fuel in the tank that the pickup would be sucking air under hard braking or acceleration. Low enough to be sucking air meets my definition of running the truck out of fuel.

It's fortunate that Ford is fixing the HPFP and downstream damage, which may or may not be related to sucking air into the fuel system. Certainly sucking air into a hydraulic pump operating at a measly 2,500 PSI is well known to damage them, the HPFP in these trucks operates up to 26,000 PSI so I have not doubt that sucking air into the HPFP has a good chance of damaging it. Hopefully the OP will ensure he doesn't run his fuel tank low enough again to ever test the theory.
Dude he didn't run it out of fuel

Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by smotrs
I was thinking the same thing when I first started reading this thread. Sounds like a bit more is involved from further reading.
Yup. These things are hard to dianose from the keyboard.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 AM
cmalinowski
Junior User
Originally Posted by wp6529
If we assume that the MTE indication was even within 10 miles of correct, there was so little fuel in the tank that the pickup would be sucking air under hard braking or acceleration. Low enough to be sucking air meets my definition of running the truck out of fuel.

It's fortunate that Ford is fixing the HPFP and downstream damage, which may or may not be related to sucking air into the fuel system. Certainly sucking air into a hydraulic pump operating at a measly 2,500 PSI is well known to damage them, the HPFP in these trucks operates up to 26,000 PSI so I have not doubt that sucking air into the HPFP has a good chance of damaging it. Hopefully the OP will ensure he doesn't run his fuel tank low enough again to ever test the theory.
Why do you think it's fortunate? I read the manual and don't recall Ford stating that running your truck below 1/4 tank voids the warranty.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:25 AM
fg250
Elder User
I've also ran mine to zero miles to empty and it stayed there for about 2 miles until I reached the fuel pump it started to surge as previously mentioned. My truck had no adverse affects and that was 20,000 miles ago. Currently have 44,000 with no issues.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
RoadJunkie
Senior User
The problem with trouble shooting these types of problems is that the original posting caused a narrow view--an anchor of opinion--as to what caused the problem; That is, the low miles to empty as indicated on the gauge. In fact, the low mileage could be (and looks like) a mere coincidence to the real problem. To me, the disturbing element of this posting is the knee-jerk reaction, and that the OP felt it necessary to shout their disappointment on at least one other forum (now closed by moderator--thank you--:2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch with 6,400mi found on road dead....). Look, for anyone who is disappointed with their 6.4l truck, then for heaven's sake sell it. But please let me enjoy my truck, and the good technical advise of this forum, without the (opinion) unnecessary Ford bashing and how the problem effects your lot in life. Sorry, I just don't see the need to go down the bashing route. Gee, I feel like Simon Cowell.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM
straightaxle
Senior User
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 6.4 use the same CP3 hpfp as the other common rail diesels (cummins,duramax)?

At least the OP gets 13 mpg, my buddies '09 2500hd w/ duramax gets 12-14mpg, and it has all of the dpf/doc stuff removed and tuned out. He also get 8 mpg towing his 5er, and has had the hpfp go out, and had to tow back from Glamis in limp mode because the Allison freaked out. But the trucks does have some miles on it, around 40k, lol. All of the emissions diesel are super sensative to everything, fuel, trash, weather, gone are the days of fueling them with mexican diesel, and just draining the water seperator every fillup. Conversely, they have a ton more power and refinement now. Bottom line, they will all continue to have problems as long as the Govt. continues to demmand what we have to build/buy, as was mentioned, the same things happened to gas motors in the 70-80's, it will all work out.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:40 PM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RoadJunkie
The problem with trouble shooting these types of problems is that the original posting caused a narrow view--an anchor of opinion--as to what caused the problem; That is, the low miles to empty as indicated on the gauge. In fact, the low mileage could be (and looks like) a mere coincidence to the real problem. To me, the disturbing element of this posting is the knee-jerk reaction, and that the OP felt it necessary to shout their disappointment on at least one other forum (now closed by moderator--thank you--:2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch with 6,400mi found on road dead....). Look, for anyone who is disappointed with their 6.4l truck, then for heaven's sake sell it. But please let me enjoy my truck, and the good technical advise of this forum, without the (opinion) unnecessary Ford bashing and how the problem effects your lot in life. Sorry, I just don't see the need to go down the bashing route. Gee, I feel like Simon Cowell.
If stating facts of what happened in this situation doesn't allow you to enjoy your truck my apologies. I'm sure you must not enjoy your truck very much then, because this forum is filled with stories of problems and you are a member.

Hence why the forum is here to try to get info on the problems. If you really wanted to just "Enjoy" your truck for what it is, I would just stay away from forums completely. That way you could enjoy it and love it unconditionally, not caring about what faults it may have or how to correct or make the truck better. You would not actually see your truck for what it really is, but who cares, you would enjoy it.

Some of us want to actually get to know the truck a little better. If my HPFP goes out at 6,400mi I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else. Is it a common problem and so forth, hence a forum.....

I have already apologized for bashing the 6.4. I was FRUSTRATED. I would like to move on to the technical side of this situation now. And by the way, I love the Heartland site.

Grey

Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 PM
RoadJunkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by GreyRanch
If stating facts of what happened in this situation doesn't allow you to enjoy your truck my apologies.
Facts?

"They are going to take some fuel samples for Ford, which I am sure is to try to [Removed by Max] me out of a warranty by saying I put bad fuel in it."

Anyway, I appreciate your frustration and desire to vent. I sometimes vent and then don't push the "send" button. You're right, the overall outcome has been important as technical reference.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
I'm with crazy oo1. This thread has gotten way outta hand and maybe started out that way. I apologize for my part in that. There is some good info here, but there's a bunch of stuff that's not worth the keyboard it's written on. Let's just be happy that all seems to be turning out OK, bury it, and let it rest in peace.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
There is a power reduction mode if you get to low. There is also a code that is stored in the computer for low fuel/reduced power.
Hi Senix, what does that mean? Are you speaking of something like a limp mode? If so, when does it kick in? I don't know how the guys with stock tanks ever get anywhere given the mileage we get, I have a 60 gallon tank and can't get in a good day of towing without stopping for fuel. I have no idea how low my tank is when the 50 MTE lights up but I've been down to under 20 or so and it was very uncomfortable. I use the mileage and MPG meter (compensated for error of course) to figure mine and I'm usually pretty close. Still, it would be nice to know the fuel warnings were accurate.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Bounds-Electric
FORD USER

109,000 + GREAT MOTOR!

Quick Reply: 2010 King Ranch 6,400 mi found on road dead