Sponsored by:

Adding brake light flasher

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 02:51 PM
Motor City Beer Truck
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Adding brake light flasher

I'm replacing my tail light housings with some new ones that have two sockets in each one for tail / brake lights. I'm considering having one set use the new LED bulbs that flash the brake light a couple times before going on solid. I'm guessing flashing brake lights will not be great at night when viewing my backup camera which is mounted above the license plate.

My original thought is to wire in a normally closed relay to that brake light and my backup lights so that when the truck is in reverse the flashing stop lights are disabled and only the standard bulbed ones work.

My other thought is just to buy a flasher module like a lot of the motorcycle guys use and wire that into my high mount third stoplight which I've already replaced the three bulbs with LEDs. I'm thinking this would be simpler to do but I'm not sure if that would still create too much distraction in the backup camera.

If anyone has tried either of these methods of implementing flashing stoplights I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:54 PM
GregA
Tuned
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Motor City Beer Truck
I'm considering having one set use the new LED bulbs that flash the brake light a couple times before going on solid..
Why? You driving a Honda? Those things are fargin annoying and distracting.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-27-2023, 09:57 AM
Motor City Beer Truck
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GregA
Why? You driving a Honda? Those things are fargin annoying and distracting.
Distracting is the point. When I'm breaking I want to make sure I get the attention of the girl behind me watching TikTok videos on her iPhone or the guy in the Honda watching Netflix on his new 12-in tablet he mounted in his dash. My truck has never been involved in any accidents and I'd like to keep it that way.

I have little control over what annoys people. The fact that I'm driving a great big 4x4 V10 Excursion probably pisses off 3/4 of the State of California.

The federal government did a study looking into this and they did prove to be effective, here is the report. Evaluation of Enhanced Brake Lights Using Surrogate Safety Metrics https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...les/811127.pdf
Don't worry no plans for any underbody light strips or a wing on the back ​​​​

Old 07-27-2023, 10:10 AM
oharal
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Old 07-27-2023, 10:15 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Another thought might be to just wire up the center high mounted brake light on the rear hatch. Still attention grabbing without being as obnoxious as the big, at eye level main brake lights. I think the quick flashers are effective and very annoying especially at night when in slow stop and go traffic.

Old 07-27-2023, 12:31 PM
Motor City Beer Truck
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Another thought might be to just wire up the center high mounted brake light on the rear hatch. Still attention grabbing without being as obnoxious as the big, at eye level main brake lights. I think the quick flashers are effective and very annoying especially at night when in slow stop and go traffic.
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards.

Just wondering if I will still be annoyed when looking in my backup camera and hitting the brakes. Unless somebody has experience with that, I might just hook it up and if it bothers me, add the relay wired into the backup lights to cancel the blinker when backing up.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:17 AM
Theboneskes
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts
Im using those 3 flash LEDs in my factory housings with LED backup lights, what a world of difference! I got a flasher off Amazon for around $12, wasn't the easiest to replace the flasher cause of its location... also installed LED lisence plate bulbs to complete the look in back.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:33 PM
Motor City Beer Truck
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Theboneskes
Im using those 3 flash LEDs in my factory housings with LED backup lights, what a world of difference! I got a flasher off Amazon for around $12, wasn't the easiest to replace the flasher cause of its location... also installed LED lisence plate bulbs to complete the look in back.
Do you have a backup camera? If you do, how is applying the brakes while backing up and watching the camera?