Sad V10 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rikosintie
DKF,
I read the long thread on the 5 star tune on a '99 v10 last night. I see reference to SPD a lot. Can you explain what that is? I do plan to order the tuner\Y pipe combo from Mike as soon as I get the truck back.
Thanks!
Michael
The SPD Y-pipe replaces the section of the stock y-pipe that is necked down. (See link below) The 00'-04' stock y-pipe is more restrictive than the earlier 99' (some early 00' models got it too) as you can see from the picture. A long tube header like the Doug Thorley or Banks headers replaces the entire stock y-pipe assembly so there is no need to worry about it. The stock y-pipe is retained with shorty headers like the Gibsons, JBA, Ebay and etc headers. Adding the SPD will remove just the restrictive portion of the stock Y-pipe.

Y Pipe Info : SPD Performance

Old 01-20-2011, 09:18 PM
rikosintie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DKF;
Thanks for the information. I see now, SPD is a brand name. I plan to purchase the tuner and Y pipe combo from 5 Star.

I had never planned to modify the engine since I wanted it to last but it looks like I have now stepped onto that very slippery slope!
Michael

Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 AM
VAXB
Senior User
Rikosintie
I see you mention Rotella a few times. What weight are you running?

Old 01-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VAXB
Rikosintie
I see you mention Rotella a few times. What weight are you running?
Synthetic Rotella is 5w40.
I run the same oil in both my 4.6L Tbird and the F250.
JL

Old 01-22-2011, 03:38 PM
ncon
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A stainless Magnaflow Y-pipe is under $30 shipped on ebay...and roughly the same price to have it welded in at an exhaust shop. It make a huge difference in flow, even from the early 99-00 "ramhead" stock y-pipe.

I suggest having an o2 bung installed at the same time (in the 3in pipe post y-pipe), a wideband afr gauge is good.
NCON

Old 01-22-2011, 07:20 PM
dkf
Hotshot
That Magnaflow Y-pipe may sound great in principle. I thought that it was great too so I bought one and installed it on my 04'. The flutter was horrible, 10 times worse than an SPD. I guess it all worked out because I had Thorleys on my truck in less than two weeks after installing that mistake.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:45 PM
ncon
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I have "flutter" with the Magnaflow Y-pipe, but there could be some impact with the different length tubes before the Y-pipe. The SPD setup does the exact same thing, their actual Y-pipe is no better or worse (and I believe they charge more for stainless steel). Did you try a SDP Y-pipe before you changed out to the Thorley's DKF?

The Thorley setup incoorperating the Y-pipe is nice, but it creates un-equal length header pipes also...the passenger side exhaust lenght is shorter that the other side.

Maybe it was 5star that had a pic of a v10 w/ Magnaflow y-pipe (with equal length header pipes), this is may be the best approach overall, but it's hard to keep it tight under there...and would likely require moving the cat also .
NC

Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 PM
rikosintie
Senior User
Originally Posted by ncon
A stainless Magnaflow Y-pipe is under $30 shipped on ebay...and roughly the same price to have it welded in at an exhaust shop. It make a huge difference in flow, even from the early 99-00 "ramhead" stock y-pipe.

I suggest having an o2 bung installed at the same time (in the 3in pipe post y-pipe), a wideband afr gauge is good.
NCON
NCON;
My mechanic friend made the same suggestion. At the time I planned to keep the engine\exhaust stock and didn't give it much thought but now that I installing headers and a Y pipe I may as well add the O2 sensor and gauge. I have been wanting to add a rear differential temp gauge and trans temp gauge anyway.

Do you have any pictures of your install? Where did you buy the bung? Thanks!
Michael

Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 PM
rikosintie
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
That Magnaflow Y-pipe may sound great in principle. I thought that it was great too so I bought one and installed it on my 04'. The flutter was horrible, 10 times worse than an SPD. I guess it all worked out because I had Thorleys on my truck in less than two weeks after installing that mistake.
DKF;
I hate being so ignorant but what is flutter and I going to have it with Gibson headers and the 5Star Y pipe?
Michael

Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM
bjmbjm1998
New User
Engine failure.

I was towing my 10,000lb toyhauler out to the Superstition Moutain OHV area from El Cajon, CA on new year's eve with my 2002 Excursion with 61,000 miles on it. The temperature was in the 30's on the mountain pass and I was running 4000-4500 RPM quite a bit.

I have read on the Excursion forum that it is no problem for the V10 and I have done it a lot on 90-110 degree days with no problem over the last 7 years. But I guess the much cooler temperatures caused a lean condition that melted the #4 spark plug. It dropped debris into they cylinder. Below is the dealers estimate for the repair.

The sad thing is I had a 5Star tuner on my todo list for the holidays but didn't get around to it. Now I need the tuner and the repairs!
Michael

25.0 HOURS OF LABOR $2,225.00
Parts $1,776.77
8.75 % Tax $155.47
ESTIMATE TOTAL $4,157.24
Call your dealer and get the name of the Ford Dealer Advocate. His job it to keep owners happy with the dealer. You have to be a Pain in the --- here.

Make your case to him. He has the power to get your repairs done at Ford's cost!!

No engine should be failing at that mileage!!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:56 PM
rikosintie
Senior User
Originally Posted by bjmbjm1998
Call your dealer and get the name of the Ford Dealer Advocate. His job it to keep owners happy with the dealer. You have to be a Pain in the --- here.

Make your case to him. He has the power to get your repairs done at Ford's cost!!

That's not a bad idea! I wasn't too big on a law suit but I am pretty good at being a pain in the A--! At least that's what my wife says.
Michael

Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bjmbjm1998

Problem with this....you didnt use OEM sparkplugs. Your gonna be SOL with Ford.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
I saw this thread awhile ago and never looked at it until today. Glad I did. I have a set of Bosch plugs that I was gonna put in this spring. Not happening now....gonna get a set of motorcraft ones then.
As for the gas with ethanol, I used to have a station that sold straight gas, but now they switched as well. One solution is there are products out there that "neutralize" the ethanol. Like mentioned before, the ethanol loves water. I'm wondering if dumping dry gas in once in a while would help with moisture problems. I work on small engines on the side and have seen adverse problems. The major one is ethanol hates rubber. So all gaskets, hoses and such disintegrate more rapidly.

I hope you have good luck with your repair.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 PM
dkf
Hotshot
DKF;
I hate being so ignorant but what is flutter and I going to have it with Gibson headers and the 5Star Y pipe?
Michael
Sorry I missed your question. Better late than never I guess.

Flutter is a sound produced in the 2k rpm range and is somewhat hard to described. It is sort of a pulsating hissing type sound that some may think is an exhaust leak. I'm somewhat convinced the poor design of stock exhaust manifolds has a lot to do with creating the flutter sound. Your Gibson headers should be ok and not produce flutter. Several here have reported no flutter with their shorty headers.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:49 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaosracing
One solution is there are products out there that "neutralize" the ethanol.
Snake oil. It doesn't neutralize it. If the fuel happens to absorb water, and it collects at the bottom of the tank, the "product" helps get rid of that water.

It's isopropyl alcohol, I bet. The marine industry is full of that stuff in the past few years. Almost all of it smells just like isopropyl alcohol.

The only way to get rid of the alcohol is to distill the gasoline.

Quick Reply: Sad V10 Owner