1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Vs Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:46 PM
RedDragon777
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Vs Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller

It has been a while since i have been here, since then i bought a 2011 F450 Super Duty. My question is would it be better for me to buy and install an after market trailer brake controller or stick with the Ford unit. The reason i ask is because unlike the older model Super Duty the new one has the info center. From what i have been told, in order to keep from having an error i would need to disable ALL of the tow command and substitute it for the new system. Currently i am in the process of buying a car hauler and my dealer said that i needed to really consider electric-over-hydraulic brakes over electric since it is a 48' 2 car hauler. But since the Ford trailer command works with a very limited number of EoH systems i would not be able to get the trailer with EoH without changing my system which i would really hate to do and get rid of a great feature from Ford.

So should i stick with what Ford gave me or swap to an after market system?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:07 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd stick with the system that was designed to work with my ECM, transmission, ABS, and brake pressure sensors to essentially make the trailer braking system part of the pickup's...

There is a chance that the dealer is trying to needlessly upsell you on the EoH system... do you know the price difference? Electric brakes have historically done a pretty good job on some pretty heavy trailers.

Is there any way you can try the EoH system with your controller...maybe on a different trailer to see if it works?

Some will argue that it isn't worth paying the 1hr minimum labor charge to turn the TowCommand system "on" if it wasn't factory equipped, but I think most will argue that it isn't worth turning it OFF for about $100.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:10 PM
c.f.moore
Senior User
I read that Ford worked on their Tow-Command to communicate better with EOH Actuators.

This was about 18mos. ago. The Tow-Command worked great with a couple of EOH actuators, but only so so, with a couple of others. The rework made the Tow-Command compatible with most EoH actuators.

I would do more research, before believing a salesman.

I'm a believer in the Tow-Command system with electric brakes.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:26 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
I'd stick with the factory controller. You'll never get the same integration with an aftermarket unit IMO.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:17 AM
marspec
Senior User
Since the 2011 Ford IBC has a setting for EOH brakes I'd stick with the factory IBC. I converted my fiver to disc brakes and would never have another heavy rig with electric brakes. Not only is stopping performance better but it sure is a heck of a lot easier to inspect the brakes.

I have a 08 F450 and an adapter was installed so that the IBC recognizes the hydraulic system.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 PM
RedDragon777
Senior User
I am talking to another dealer right now and i am also trying to find if the IBC system on the 2011+ been updated with more of a variety when it comes to EoH system companies. The previous dealer told he would not feel safe selling me the trailer without the EoH system and they wanted $4,000 for the upgrade. which i felt was way too much for a trailer i am ordering not trying to buy off the lot and having it converted.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
TrailerSaver
Former Vendor
Electric over hydraulic brakes can be a huge braking improvement over electric drum, particularly with a heavier load. The downside to electric drum is that they can only receive a certain amount of amperage (roughly 4.5 max per magnet) each so in some cases it is not difficult to reach the maximum braking capability and in some cases that might not be enough. Brake fade which occurs as the magnets heat up also kicks in pretty quicky, especially when you go down a hill and you have to press the brake pedal more. When you use the Tow Command system on electric over hydraulic brake systems as has been noted already it will work better with a few systems than others but in general will create a very significant delay before the calipers pressurize and begin stopping the trailer. If you are even a moderate do-it-yourselfer it is not very difficult to by pass the tow command and install an after market controller. If you want to make it one touch better you can wire in an A B switch and have the capability of using both systems if you prefer.

We manufacture the best aftermarket controller in the industry for both electric and EOH brake systems. If you stick with electric drum brakes you are probably better off with the tow command, but if you do decide to go with EOH brakes you should definately check out the tru control.

Brake Controller - TruControl by Hensley Mfg.

We are towing experts so you can feel free to call us with questions any time

Aaron Grayhek
(800) 410-6580 Ext. 104

Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
marspec
Senior User
Originally Posted by RedDragon777
I am talking to another dealer right now and i am also trying to find if the IBC system on the 2011+ been updated with more of a variety when it comes to EoH system companies. The previous dealer told he would not feel safe selling me the trailer without the EoH system and they wanted $4,000 for the upgrade. which i felt was way too much for a trailer i am ordering not trying to buy off the lot and having it converted.
The option price for disc brakes on a Carriage Cameo fiver is $3,500.

The price to have my rig converted was $3,200 and that was for the brakes and new NeverLube bearings. The rig originally had NeverLubes. While I notice some delay in the application of the disc brakes I don't consider it excessive. Although I haven't used a stopwatch the delay is probably in the 1/2 second range.