1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Performance Chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:59 AM
powerstoked!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Chips

Ok, so I'm in the market for a switch on the fly chip. I have seen wildman, dp, php, TS, edge... the list goes on. I want to hear from the tuners and the people who own the chips, why you chose what you chose, and what the difference is exactly.

I have tried to research this so I didn't have to post, but all of the info on chips is a little here and a little there. I want this thread to be something that everyone coming on this site new to powerstrokes can look at and make an informed decision.

I want to hear from the owners of these products
, hear what kind of mileage they get (along with their set up, tire size, axle ratio, mods), hear how the specific tunes perform for daily driving and how well they perform towing, and overall if they are content with their purchase or if they wish they had gone with a different chip or a different program and why.

I want to hear from the tuners!!! I have been on FTE for at least a year and have yet to hear anything directly from a tuner. I hear people refer to them by first name, but never seen a handle so that a member could contact one of them and ask what would work best for their setup. I want the tuners to talk about what the behavior of their tunes are. Like:
My economy tune provides a long midrange powerband with fuel mileage in mind so that you can use it as a slight performance mod while using it for daily driving while seeing increased fuel mileage over stock.

My 100hp tune provides increased throttle response with quicker low rpm range fueling to provide quicker turbo spool for steady overall power, intended for stage 1 injectors with big oil, will not see intended power gains with 49 state stock injectors and stock hpop.
Stuff like that. Get the info out there for a consumer on here to make an educated decision on what they order instead of taking a shot in the dark. Someone who's new to diesel tuning probably wont know that if they order 140hp tune with stock 49 state 90cc injectors, they aren't going to see the benefits, so it's pointless to order that...

I think that if this thread comes together how I hope it does, then maybe we can get the moderators to pin it at the top of the list for everyone to easily access and get some solid information about something that every stroker wants to know. Thanks in advance to everyone who contributes to this thread, and if you read this and know one of the tuners, please let them know that this thread is up so we can get this information out her and easily accessible. Thanks again

Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 PM
powerstoked!
Senior User
Come on guys! We can't help each other out on this?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 PM
chicagodragon
Postmaster

iam with ya! i have a PHP and like most of the tunes i have, a couple i do not. i want to hear from someone whom has tried more than one tuner.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 PM
powerstoked!
Senior User
unbelievable... This is the first time I have been utterly disappointed with FTE

Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 AM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey man i had an edge and would like 2 kick them in the *****!!! after it jacked up and left my truck on the road the 3 time i gave it a way!!! got a ts and am running beans tunes and in a few months live beans tunes, i like the 6 setting , stock, daily, ecomy,heavy tow, hot, hi idle, just did a zf5 speed swap, and have sd injecters in my old girl, free reburns ,any time i change or up grade truck mods!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:09 AM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by powerstoked!
unbelievable... This is the first time I have been utterly disappointed with FTE
also i have 4;10, 37, i get 15 to 18 mpg just depends on how much my foot is in it, i have got 19 and 20 but am around the 17.5 and 18 most the time, egt are around 600 driveing and 750 800 towing, if was me leave the programers where they are go with a chip will be a way better investment, can change the chip as your rig changes

Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 AM
powerstoked!
Senior User
Thanky you!!! hah finally. I was actually looking at a TS chip myself. Is there any actual difference between like a ts chip, or a php chip, or a DP tuner chip? They are all just switch chips right? So like if I bought a TS chip, I could get programs from anybody? or are they not interchangeable? I'm sick of this single stage chip, it's boring!!! and I don't blow smoke much anymore since I did the intake and exhaust...

Old 01-14-2011, 12:44 AM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Thanky you!!! hah finally. I was actually looking at a TS chip myself. Is there any actual difference between like a ts chip, or a php chip, or a DP tuner chip? They are all just switch chips right? So like if I bought a TS chip, I could get programs from anybody? or are they not interchangeable? I'm sick of this single stage chip, it's boring!!! and I don't blow smoke much anymore since I did the intake and exhaust...
as far as i no a ts can be bought and burned by any one that burns ts chips, make sure you buy a programabal chip and not the one ts has with 3 tunes, i think the ts chip is like 300 at beans and with burned tunes 599, has gone up, but what isnt

Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 AM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

ok you can get a ts and send it to beans and they will burn the chip for 275.00 or a burned chip and all the goodies are 599.oo, if you have stock auto becareful with settings you will toasted it, and gauges are a must!!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:52 AM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

like i said in responts, the stock trany will be wasted if not careful, and would look and adding a cooler i had stock one as well as add on with fan when my truck was an auto, would let add on cooler go if you need one

Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 AM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
The DP f5 and f6 are stand alone chips and can only be touched by DP tuner. I believe they now have a chip called the f8 and that one is like a ts style chip which can be burned from any of the custom tuners. I think i have this right. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. DP also uses a different switcher.

I have a Tony Wildman chip and am happy with it. The mods I have are in my sig and a run 4.10 gearing. I can get anywhere from 15-19mpgs depending what time of the year, how I'm driving, Which direction the wind is blowing and if the sun is behind me or in front of me.

People who buy TS performance chips with canned tunes on them (off the shelf tuning) will be happy until they get a custom tuned chip and then they will see the light. Its great for stock trucks but once you start modding, you need to get a custom tuned chip. If you buy a TS performance canned tunes off the shelf chip, You can send it to any of the tuners and they will put their tunes on it. Its usually cheaper just to buy their chips though.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:56 AM
powerstoked!
Senior User
yeah, i honestly don't care if I blow this trans. it's newish, i think it has like 20k on it or so... I want a woods tranny with his torque converter. This tranny was free because the original owner replaced the trans at 90k... factory warranty carried till like 120 or 130k or whatever... So i took it in and told them it was busted, so they completely rebuilt it under warranty. They were suppose to replace the TC, but i don't think they did. My TC is one loosey goosey. I get on the freeway, give it about 1/3 throttle on the onramp, motor spins up to 2600 and sits there until the TC catches up... hate it...

Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 AM
powerstoked!
Senior User
I was only looking at the TS chip because I can get the chip for like $200... And then send it to get tuned. Good info to know though about the DP tuner chips.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 AM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

yeah, i honestly don't care if I blow this trans. it's newish, i think it has like 20k on it or so... I want a woods tranny with his torque converter. This tranny was free because the original owner replaced the trans at 90k... factory warranty carried till like 120 or 130k or whatever... So i took it in and told them it was busted, so they completely rebuilt it under warranty. They were suppose to replace the TC, but i don't think they did. My TC is one loosey goosey. I get on the freeway, give it about 1/3 throttle on the onramp, motor spins up to 2600 and sits there until the TC catches up... hate it...
myn did the same thing, a call to valair and a few weeks of work did the auto to man swap and never looking back, time to throw the poneys to her!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:08 AM
powerstoked!
Senior User
naaaaaaaah... I'll keep the hand shakin to business meetings. I like to be able to sip my cold beverage in traffic... Or flip off a passing prius driver just on principal... Plus, I can be a girl scout when I'm towing, no need to pay attention to shift points Just slingshot the hill and let him pull up it, never loose boost for a downshift

Quick Reply: Performance Chips