Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 f350 crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i talked to my dad about it... so im gunna let this one go

maybe ill find some old man selling one cheaper or with less miles

Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you make this guy an offer?

Old 01-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
yea i offered 8he said that wasnt enough so then i said the absolute most ill give is 9500... not a penny more

im still gunna test drive it and see what he came up with... it better be cleaned and 2 new batteries on it...

but i think ill have to let it pass idk lol ive been wanting one of these for a really long time except in a short bed but i have been looking at the biodiesel forum and i can see an advantage to the extra bed for a tank and tool box

Old 01-07-2011, 03:26 PM
96f350az
Senior User
honestly i wouldnt go for it man. its pretty buut. not worth that at all. down in az that truck would go for 5500 to 7000 at most.
get what you want and sit and wait. a deal will come. and it will be better.
ide be sketched that he wouldnt start it the first time. id have him take a damn battery out of whatever he drove or offer mine just to start it

idk man i think if you walk away and keep up the search you will be better off in the end

Old 01-07-2011, 03:29 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Hitokori
yea i offered 8he said that wasnt enough so then i said the absolute most ill give is 9500... not a penny more

im still gunna test drive it and see what he came up with... it better be cleaned and 2 new batteries on it...

but i think ill have to let it pass idk lol ive been wanting one of these for a really long time except in a short bed but i have been looking at the biodiesel forum and i can see an advantage to the extra bed for a tank and tool box
If I were him, I would have taken your 9.5k. You're the worst negotiator ever I know what you meant though.

Anyways, yeah, drive it and see how it does. Did you crawl around under the front end and wiggle stuff around? Check tie rod ends, links, jack it up, check ball joints, etc etc. If all that stuff has been changed already, as well as a transmission rebuild, it could save you some big $$$ down the road...
The rhino liner in the bed would be a big selling point for me. The truck looks like it's been taken good care of.
For what it's worth, I can give you a run down on the tank I built for my father. It's a gravity feed system so you don't have to worry about pumps or anything, it just takes a bit longer to fill up. It took about about 12 inches or so of bed space and held about 40-50 gallons. You could also build a similar setup that would sit underneath a normal sized toolbox that could hold a little less, but not take up any more space than the box.
Good luck with your continued search.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
lol i tried to start it

i was getting kinda pissed because

1. it wasnt cold enough to have to let the glow plugs cycle 3 times

2. it wasnt cold enough for it not to start the first time they cycled

3. its a gd car dealership so i know they are gunna try and screw me lol

so ill go drive it but more than likely keep looking... diesels are so hard to come by here... people dont wanna sell them but u can bet theyll bitch about the fuel prices lol

Old 01-07-2011, 03:39 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
lol i tried to start it

i was getting kinda pissed because

1. it wasnt cold enough to have to let the glow plugs cycle 3 times

2. it wasnt cold enough for it not to start the first time they cycled

3. its a gd car dealership so i know they are gunna try and screw me lol

so ill go drive it but more than likely keep looking... diesels are so hard to come by here... people dont wanna sell them but u can bet theyll bitch about the fuel prices lol
Sounds like you should skip it after this bit of info. If it's a dealer, they should have had batteries to drop in and let you start it. They're hiding something.
As for the other issues, sounds like the glow plugs are going or the relay is bad. I've started one at about -12F after one cycle of the glow plugs when it was all fresh and new. With the mileage that is on it, I wouldn't be suprised if the plugs are shot.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
:P yea it just had one battery on it and there wasnt any mechanics there.... so i question it....

i tried to hook the battery that was throwed in there up but it was a ****ed up one... it was a top post but they were recessed if that makes sense.... so the cables wouldnt fit down around it

Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Tell you what, you buy my truck, and I'll go look at that one for myself

Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
lol ill go back drive it and tell him what kinda pos it is and tell him he'd be lucky to get 7k

Old 01-07-2011, 04:20 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
lol ill go back drive it and tell him what kinda pos it is and tell him he'd be lucky to get 7k
6.5, kthx

Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
lol yup coz i know those sorry **** bags didnt give but 3 trade in on it

Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
...but I couldn't touch anything similar to it here in WA for less than $7500-8000...
That's funny because I bought my '97 F250 XLT 4x4 PSD, 5spd, CC, SB, 162k with 6" lift, 4" intake and 4" exhaust for $6000 in Yakima back in Oct 09!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM
lio45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiosity, those trucks are already ultra-long, does 1.5 ft of bed really make a difference?

I don't really understand people wanting a short bed on such a long truck... it's not like it's going to make a big difference in maneuverability, while usually the extra cargo area is REALLY welcome!

As for looks, with such a long cab, I think the sb isn't well proportioned... if you want to see even worse though, look at a modern Mega Cab Ram with the short bed and dually! Such an all-cab, no-bed truck looks odd IMO.

FWIW I currently own a short bed 4x4 diesel Chevy and a long bed 2wd diesel Ford and I'll get rid of one in the spring... and seriously, the only reason to keep the Chevy is that I think a short bed truck looks better -- but the Ford with its 8 ft bed is incredibly more work-friendly! Right now the Ford's definitely ahead...

Old 01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
lio45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, and looking at what everyone else is posting, I wouldn't pay $9k for that one... even the $8k they refused was already probably a bit on the high side (except for some areas of Washington state apparently )

Quick Reply: 97 f350 crew cab