6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Fuel filter change no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Fuel filter change no start

I changed the fuel filters and cycled the key 6 times but the truck will not start. I tried that about 4 times. It started a couple times and died. Now I"m getting the wrench light (stays on) and the batteries are getting weak. Also getting the oil psi icon. Took off cap on motor mounted filter and it was dry so I filled it with fuel. Still no start. Now the Batteries are dead I will need to charge them. Any suggestions. It almost seems like the frame module is clogged because there was no fuel in the engine filter.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:29 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to cycle it about 20 times. If that dosent work there is a shreader valve on the fuel cooler pump housing. Top of engine drivers side almost to the rear, left of the little sight glass for the fuel system coolant level. You can depress the valve while cycleing the key and help remove the air from the system. You might need a small cup to catch the fuel so you dont make a mess. Hope this helps.

If it started and died then the light came on you might have thrown a code for low fuel pressure, but it should still start when you get the air out of the system, once the air gets in there it can be a little bit of a hasle to get out. You must be very clean with the engine mounted fuel filter that filter filters 4 micron and i would'nt advise adding any further unfiltered fuel there.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
check the drain in the bottom filter. see if it filled up with fuel.

Recharge batteries.

when cycling the key let in stay in the run position at least 30 seconds X 6.

Open passenger side front door. See access panel on side of the dash. That is for your fuel cutoff switch.

Depress and crank at the same time. Bet it will fire then.

Wrench light is probably due to the no fuel.

Do the cycling of the key first to see if it will start, if not then try the fuel cutoff switch.

Verify fuel in the fuel/water separator by turning the lever and seeing if it will drain any off before anthing else.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
I cycle my switch 5 times and have never had a problem. I always leave it turned on until I hear the pump quit before doing the next cycle.

I had filters changed at a Ford shop on the road once. I saw them pour raw diesel in the final filter housing. I'll never let that shop touch my truck again!!!!! I asked the service writer why the tech did that. He asked the tech who said they were hard starters otherwise. I told him mine never had been and I didn't approve of that practice.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Hopefully the filtered fuel goes down the center tube because after I removed the filter I had to clean a bunch of of crap out of the bowl. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas. I did try the fuel cut off switch with no help. Then I tried it again and it won't even crank when you hold it.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM
senix
Super Moderator
see if this video will help:
YouTube - srmastertech's Channel

Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
I tried bleeding the fuel cooler with key on. I'm not getting any fuel there at all. Looks like it's going to the dealer. Any other ideas?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:45 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Rudiak
I tried bleeding the fuel cooler with key on. I'm not getting any fuel there at all. Looks like it's going to the dealer. Any other ideas?
You will have to have someone cycle the key while you are doing it for this method.

Dont take this the wrong way but i like to rule out the obvious stuff there is over a 1/4 of fuel in your tank, i have seen problems with people doing this on a steep driveway with a low tank of fuel and it would'nt pickup the fuel.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
I cycled the key about a dozen times. Fuel level is almost 1/2 tank and truck is level.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 PM
senix
Super Moderator
so is there clean fuel in the bowl if you take the filter off?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Yes. It's on the hook on the way to the dealer now. I will let you know what they find if anything. It was running fine before I changed the filters.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Rudiak
Tuned
Dealer had it for 2 days. It's running now. I talked to the tech and he said they could not get fuel past the frame filter module. He changed the frame filter again and that fixed it. He said I used the right filter (motorcraft) and it was installed correctly and not damaged. He said he can't explain what was wrong he does not know. He said maybe 1 in a 100 will do this he has seen it before. Thanks for everyones help.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Wierd but a validation that you did it right.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rudiak
Dealer had it for 2 days. It's running now. I talked to the tech and he said they could not get fuel past the frame filter module. He changed the frame filter again and that fixed it. He said I used the right filter (motorcraft) and it was installed correctly and not damaged. He said he can't explain what was wrong he does not know. He said maybe 1 in a 100 will do this he has seen it before. Thanks for everyones help.
interesting that we haven't had more reports of this problem after 3 model yrs.

I have 4 of the older 4609 sets to use.. so I'll have to be careful..

sam

Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 PM
ItsABeautClark
New User
I just finished my first fuel filter change on my 08 F250. I must say, you really do not realize how dirty your fuel is until you change your own filters. Mine were filthy. A little upset because I negotiated with the dealer to change them when I bought the truck 5 months ago. As dirty as the frame rail filter is, I am certain they did not!
Besides the poor design limiting access to the frame rail filter, all went well. Put the filters in, cycled 6x30 seconds and off we go!

Quick Reply: Fuel filter change no start