Sponsored by: DP Tuner

wheel bearing? odd noise need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 AM
england20
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel bearing? odd noise need advice.

there is an odd noise from the drivers side front wheel. it almost is like the sound you hear when a wheel is out of balance, but there is no vibration in the steering wheel. it is a whoom whoom whoom sound that increases with speed of the truck. i know on cars that you can usually feel a bad wheel bearing by cutting hard to the r or l and the sound would increase, but these large trucks may be diffrent as i can tell no diffrence by cutting r or l. anyone had anything like this, or anything prone to go wrong in that area that may be making this noise. thanks in advance for any help.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Jack up the suspected wheel and try wobbling it while still lugged down to the axle.

I discovered my dead wheel bearing in the same manner. Jacked up one end of the axle and I was able to move the wheel around (not the same as spinning) all directions. I also had a weird sounds that came and went occasionally but always sped up and slowed down with the speed of the vehicle.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:56 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Whats the tire wear like on that wheel? Could be the noise or an indication of something else wrong there. If you cannot find any looseness, rotate the tire and see if it changes.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:36 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by england20
there is an odd noise from the drivers side front wheel. it almost is like the sound you hear when a wheel is out of balance, but there is no vibration in the steering wheel. it is a whoom whoom whoom sound that increases with speed of the truck. i know on cars that you can usually feel a bad wheel bearing by cutting hard to the r or l and the sound would increase, but these large trucks may be diffrent as i can tell no diffrence by cutting r or l. anyone had anything like this, or anything prone to go wrong in that area that may be making this noise. thanks in advance for any help.
It really sounds like a wheel bearing to me, too.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Bobbys Big Red Rig
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by england20
I have a similar thread
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-bearing.html