6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Removing Step Assist Pole

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:36 PM
wponder11
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Step Assist Pole

I decided I would remove the step assist pole since I do not really like it. When I set out to do so, I wanted to achieve a few things.

- Have a clean finish once removed, with the bed sprayed
- Have the ability to put it back later if I decided too

If you like the pole and want to spray the bed I would still recommend removing it, spraying the tailgate and then put the plastic liner back. If you decide to ever remove it you will have everything you need done.The approach I took will allow me to add it back easily and cheaply if needed.

Here are the steps I took.

1. Removed the pole and liner to see what there would be to deal with.
a. You will need a torque to remove the plastic liner screws
b. Once removed you will need a larger torque to remove the brace that bolts the pole to the tail gate frame
( Sorry for the pic quality. I had crappy lighting)

2. Once removed I got all my parts for covering that access hole
a. Ford Part - 8C3Z-9943121-A - $91.00 This is the cover. This one has a cut in it that provides access to a large whole in the tail gate. I am not sure what it is for. Looking at more trucks it seems there is another part that has a strait edge. I am not sure if it will work but would provide a more clean install than the route I took

b. Ford Part - W710734-S439 (4/pack; need two packs for 8 total). These are the screws for the access panel. I did not order them. I might get them later. Instead, I went to a local shop and got 8 black button head screws - type M6-19mm. They were free. I would recommend adding washers. I got black fiber washers 50 cents per two pack

c. To fill the large whole and cut in the access panel I tried to use the rubber stopper from the plastic cover. It will fit the hole after the gate is sprayed but leaves a gap between the panel and tailgate. Looked at fordparts.com. Saw there is a plug that goes there labeled HS3. Got that from Ford for $150. It is a plastic button plug. It works well. It fills the whole and helps secure the access panel, if you put it in at an angle.

d. You will have three holes at the bottom of the tail gate from the plastic plugs used to secure the plastic liner from the pole assist. Some people metal tape them and spray the tailgate. I wanted to be able to put the pole back in the future. So, I asked the guy not to fill them. They will be smaller once sprayed. You can drill them or use smaller auto panel plugs. I picked up six smaller plugs from the hardware store. 58 cents each. I used three and held on to the others in case I ever break them or pop them out to put the pole back

3. I had the bed sprayed. I had them leave the large hole at the top of the gate and the three holes at the bottom. They also sprayed the access panel. Picture is the gate without the panel cover added. You can see the three hole at the bottom and large hole at the top ( Offset from the center to the right ) that will need to be filled.

4. Once sprayed I added the panel back, hammered in the large plug and three smaller plugs. Before screwing down I would recommend running the screws through the former screw holes one time. Some liner spray will get in there and running the screws in will make it easier to fasten down the access panel.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:48 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to admit it makes a nice clean entrance to the bed but I use the pole to get up there. Getting old I guess...

Old 12-28-2010, 05:35 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Nice... I'm not an advocate of the "man step".

Old 12-28-2010, 05:45 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is on my list of things to do. I will probably get the bed sprayed in the Spring so it will be done before then. I may be wrong, but I think I stumbled upon another option. Looking at the parts diagram there appears to be a plastic liner available for non step tailgates. This would be a direct replacement utilizing existing fasteners once the step is removed and would also offer some impact protection to the tailgate.

Next time I'm at the parts warehouse, I'm going to check it out and see if it is an acceptable replacement. I don't like the flagpole, but I do like the nifty built in flat spots for my beer to sit in.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:59 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Looking at the parts diagram there appears to be a plastic liner available for non step tailgates.
That's the route I went. I didn't need the pole anymore with the cap installed and still wanted the full protective covering under the BedRug. You retain full use of the step too. No additional hardware is needed either.

The only drawback was the price of almost $200. It's only molded plastic but it's expensive. I'm sure it's cheaper out there somewhere but the dealer had it in stock and I was a bit too anxious.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rickatic
I have to admit it makes a nice clean entrance to the bed but I use the pole to get up there. Getting old I guess...
Yeah Ric me too. The arthritis is winning. In fact the wife wouldn't let me buy a truck without the tailgate step. She does more bed climbing then I do these days.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:25 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Maybe we ought to take a poll on the ages of the guys who are getting rid of the pole. I'd bet that the older you are, the more you appreciate/need that little helper...

I use mine every time I get in the back but I appreciate it the most when I'm stepping down and out of the bed. There's been a couple of times where my foot slipped a little bit stepping down and I grabbed the pole to compensate. You know that tingly feeling in the fingers you get just before you die? Yeah, that.

I love my pole.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
The pole doesn't bother me. When I had my dealer spray the bed, I requested they remove the tail gate cover and spray the tailgate. They agreed. If I ever decide to move the pole and plastic cover, at least the tailgate is already sprayed. I would need that plug cover though.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Maybe we ought to take a poll on the ages of the guys who are getting rid of the pole. I'd bet that the older you are, the more you appreciate/need that little helper...

I use mine every time I get in the back but I appreciate it the most when I'm stepping down and out of the bed. There's been a couple of times where my foot slipped a little bit stepping down and I grabbed the pole to compensate. You know that tingly feeling in the fingers you get just before you die? Yeah, that.

I love my pole.
I agree with you, I wouldn't want my truck without the pole.

But I'm not sure it has much to do with age. I'm only 25! But with a messed up back and knees that are starting to give me trouble I can use all the help I can get.

I'm unlike most my age, I don't really care for what it looks like or what I look like using it. It helps me get into and out of my truck safely and comfortably, which I think makes it worth keeping. If I don't want to use it, I just leave it folded down!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
amen brother..see you on Saturday

Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 PM
cjay84
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i fell out of my F-350 last year trying to get out of the back of the bed. just got my 2011 F-450 with tailgate step and handle. shore will be a lot easier on a 62 yo.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 PM
jstange2
Junior User
Looks like I don't need to look up parts myself now. I never could stand any plastic liners. Just something else cheap to rip off. Now to just find someone in the area to get a close match for the factory spray in.
Looks great pwonder.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 PM
kmrgeorge
Junior User
Boy that sure gets to be a very expensive step by the time you buy the parts to remove the pole. I think I'll keep my pole if I ever get my truck. It has been sitting 150 miles away at the convoy company for the last two weeks.

Ken

Old 12-29-2010, 05:19 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
I love my pole.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 PM
FourOneTons
Senior User
Maybe we ought to take a poll on the ages of the guys who are getting rid of the pole. I'd bet that the older you are, the more you appreciate/need that little helper....
A pole poll?

I saw 60 in the rearview mirror this year. I've got two bad knees, a bad back, hypertension, CRS, and my arms aren't long enough anymore.

The day I got the truck, I said the pole has to go. Whoever the Ford designer was who decided a bumpy tailgate would be OK, didn't ask me about the amount of heavy stuff I slide in/out of my F350 (and why I still need an F350 instead of an Escape).

Five months later, my pole is still there. I'm still thinkin' it has to go. I use my step a lot, but rarely touch my pole, although I'll admit it has been handy more than once. I throw a couple of large floor mats over the bumpy tailgate when necessary.

I love my pole.
I'm undecided about my pole.

Joe

Quick Reply: Removing Step Assist Pole