Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What gauges to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:44 PM
omc124
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What gauges to get?

I'm looking to get 2 more gauges for my truck. I already have boost, trans temp, and pyro gauges. I was thinking pretty hard about getting a fuel pressure gauge but don't know which other gauge to get. Also, im thinking of mounting them in the f650 dash with the two gauges and a dp tuner slot and was wondering what those of you that have that setup are running to the switches? I'm planning on running my fog lights off them and eventually plan on getting an exhaust break for the second but not sure what I can do with the third. Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Fuel gauge would be a good choice. I kinda like the idea of having water temp as well. The dash mounted gauge is worthless IMO. If you are going with an exhaust brake then you'll need some way to lock your torque converter (if you have an auto)

Here is my set up. The ugly gauge under the switches is the air bag pressure that came with the kit. Someday I'll swap it out with an ISSPRO so it will match the others.

Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Waltdog
of American machinists

I recently added fuel pressure and oil temp, over head pod up by the mirror.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:12 AM
omc124
Junior User
Which exhaust brake did you go with? And why do you have to put a torque converter lock with it (I have an auto as well)? Didn't know you had to do that or how to do that

Old 12-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I did the EBPV mod where you wire your own switch to actuate the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve that already exists on these trucks from the factory. Sort of like a poor man's exhaust brake but it's effective enough. When I'm towing my gross weight is over 24k and the mod works fine.

The TC must be locked or you will be wasting your time with an exhaust brake because the trans won't be 'connected' to your engine so no braking effect will be felt. Most aftermarket exhaust brake systems come with some sort of TC lockup module and of course are quite pricey. This mod costs less than $50 and some time as long as you are ok with wiring and soldering stuff.

Here is a wiring diagram that PaysonPSD posted a few days ago in another thread. If you have a DP tuner, you can purchase the 'decel' tune and all this will be taken care of in the programming which is a pretty attractive feature.

In my particular case I found that having the DPDT switch was not really necessary because the 'automatic' feature wasn't really that practical. This feature was a way to arm the system and then the EBPV would close and TC would lock whenever the brake was depressed. Release the brake and the TC would release and the exhaust brake would open. Well, sounds good in theory but doesn't really work well in practice. So, when I added the F650 dash I just went with a manual control for both. The Exhaust brake needs power to close but the TC needs a ground to lock. So, you will have to use a relay for the TC because the switch that comes with the F650 dash applies 12v to the load and that is not what you want for the TC lock. So, what I did was use the dash mounted switch to activate a relay and the other side of that relay provided the ground that the TC needed to lock up.

Hope this info helps.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Shake-N-Bake; 12-23-2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2010, 10:22 AM
omc124
Junior User
Do you have to lock/unlock your TC whenever the exhaust break is not in use? And I think mine actually locks automatically (not sure why unless previous owner did some tranny work) because if I take my foot off the gas at 70 mph it'll unlock the TC like normal but then it will lock back in until about 35-40 mph then unlock again at that point (roughly 1300-1500 rpm)