Sponsored by: Moser

Delayed response when under heavy acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:30 PM
bcabaj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delayed response when under heavy acceleration

i was wondering if any of you with 2009 or 2010 f150s have experienced a long delay when you try to accelerate from a moving start. say like if you are in any gear other than first, it takes about 2-3 seconds to kick down and start pulling. my truck is a 2010 fx4 with the 5.4 3v and the 6r80 trans. perhaps a software update for the trans is available? any help or insight into this would be appreciated.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Hybris
Posting Guru
First welcome to FTE.

Now on to the question.

The new 6 speeds from what I have gathered reading here is that it "learns" from the driver so any sudden change from how you have been driving will cause a moment of confusion to the transmission until it finally shifts.

My only other guess is that it might be temperature related.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
This is likely a DBW (drive by wire) throttle delay that most vehicles without a true throttle cable experience.
Other users have reported similar delays in response, especially if you're mashing on the pedal.
One way to avoid this is gradual, yet still deep, throttle input. Instead of mashing on the pedal, just continue with med pressure and push. This usually helps in my truck.
The other way to change this is to purchase a programmer (SCT, Edge, etc). This might void your warranty depending on how your dealer looks at the addition, but it's likely to improve the DBW responsiveness and firm up your transmission's shifting.

If you want more info on programmers, check out 5 Star Tuning. Mike has helped A LOT of members here, and his custom tunes are apparently damn good. Oh yeah, he's a sponsor of the site.

Enjoy and welcome to FTE!!

Old 12-16-2010, 08:33 AM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the only issue I have with my truck as well. The throttle delay is minimal, but the shift delay is even longer. I had a programmer in my '05 and it got rid of virtually all of the lag, but I decided to not do it on my '10. Yes the truck always has to learn driving style, and I drove my truck very aggressively for a whole tank of fuel not too long ago, but it still has all the lag, so I don't know that these trucks will ever remove all that much of the lag that has been programmed into these trucks.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:27 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You might try reading this thread over on:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...-response.html

Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just tried what was mentioned on F150 online forum to help with the lag issue by, w/o starting the truck, turn key on, slowly press gas pedal to floor, quickly release and turn key off. Repeat 2 more times. I gotta say that it made a huge difference in response. It was also said to do this periodically to re set the computer. It made enough of a difference to surprise me. Thanks for the link msgtord.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it were mine, I'd check with the dealer to see if there is a reflash to address this issue. I'd probably complain until it was fixed to my satisfaction. That being said, I had the same problem on my 06 5.4l XLT. I purchased the the SCT x3 with custom tunes and problem gone. Fuel mileage seems the same, but driveability greatly improved.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 PM
bcabaj
New User
i stopped by town east ford today and spoke with an advisor. i didnt leave it because they wouldnt give me a car to drive. im also pretty sure that he was full of crap too, because he said that when they get a complaint that there isnt programming available to fix it, they can call for tech assistance and they can custom write a program to address the problem. i have never heard of anything like that, and am pretty sure he lied. im going to try another dealer next week sometime. the aftermarket tuners sound pretty good, but if i were to go that route, wont they void my warranty?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:09 PM
bcabaj
New User
efx4, i will try that tomorrow morning before work. ill let you guys know how it works out. and thanks for all the input!

Old 12-17-2010, 05:28 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bcabaj
i stopped by town east ford today and spoke with an advisor. i didnt leave it because they wouldnt give me a car to drive. im also pretty sure that he was full of crap too, because he said that when they get a complaint that there isnt programming available to fix it, they can call for tech assistance and they can custom write a program to address the problem. i have never heard of anything like that, and am pretty sure he lied. im going to try another dealer next week sometime. the aftermarket tuners sound pretty good, but if i were to go that route, wont they void my warranty?
Yes and no. According to Ford corporate they will (read the manual). Some dealers could care less though. and it's purely a judgment call on their part.
For instance, a problem with a hood latch probably wouldn't be deemed caused by a tuner, but engine/transmission woes could very well be. Just depends on the warranty item and the dealer.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:54 AM
95F250351
New User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Yes and no. According to Ford corporate they will (read the manual). Some dealers could care less though. and it's purely a judgment call on their part.
For instance, a problem with a hood latch probably wouldn't be deemed caused by a tuner, but engine/transmission woes could very well be. Just depends on the warranty item and the dealer.
this has probably been pointed out, but under the magnuson-moss warranty act of 1975, its is the burden of the [dealership] to prove that whatever you changed on the [truck] is responsible for the failure you complain of.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
bcabaj, I would not necessarily take a service advisor's word for it. They only know what they are told and that's not always correct. If you can talk to the tech about your problem. If there isn't a fix readily available, they do have access to a hotline to solve these problems for you. It just depends on how service oriented the dealership is. If you can't get satisfaction from that dealership, then complain to Ford Corporate and seek out a dealership that is willing to solve the warranty issue. Each dealership is an independent franchisee for Ford and they don't all operate the same. And when you do find that special dealership that does go the extra mile for you, reward them with repeat business and referrals. Your vehicle buying and ownership experience will be more satisfying in the end even if it does mean that the price is slightly higher on purchase. In my case, even though there are several Ford dealers within 25 miles of my home, the one that I go to is a small town dealer that has a few good techs and a small sales staff that I can trust. Their prices are better than the rest and the service is leagues above the big dealers in my area. To me that's priceless. Bottom line, don't get a programmer yet. Give Ford the chance to fix the problem first and you'll not have to worry about your warranty.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:46 PM
bcabaj
New User
thats pretty good advice. i tried the pedal reset procedure and i thought that it had fixed it this morning, but later on in the day after driving a lot, i made a u turn in front of traffic and and to punch it. there was the 3 second delay again as it decided whether or not to stay in 2nd gear, or go back to 1st. im going to try and do some research on some dealers in my area and find one that i can trust. i dont suppose anyone here has any favorite ford service departments here in the dallas fort worth area?

Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
The only folks I know in the Dallas area is my cousin and his family and he's a Dodge tech. So I can't help you there. But you should have a whole lot of dealers to choose from there compared to the South Bend, IN area I'm in. I would ask around to other Ford owners in your area about their experiences with their Ford dealer and go from there.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:45 PM
4orddaddy
New User
I can't believe my foot! The only dis-appointment I have had in 8000 miles in my 2010 5.4 fx2 supercrew has been the lack of throttle/transmission response. I just tried this and what a difference. It's not like a different truck, just an improved version. Now the only question is how long does it last if it only "relearned"? Thanks much to everyone who posts here.

Quick Reply: Delayed response when under heavy acceleration