6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

turn off seatbelt Chime help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is some statistical informations that actually has a valid signature to its content.

News & Events - NTSB - National Transportation Safety Board
https://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/safetyalerts/SA_005.pdf

Old 02-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I thank God every time I think about buying another street bike and look at my helmet,that there was a helmet law in my state. I might have been a vegetable or worse. I still to this day I have no disire not to use seat belt or other safety equipment.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:28 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by FX-4 Man
Why
I'm an excellent driver, been driving professionally since '95 and have a Class A CDL, I can make my own decisions about what's safe for me, I don't need big brother telling me how to keep safe.
Having a Class A CDL doesn't make a person a better driver. I have seen a lot of pretty stupid Class A CDL drivers.

http://movieclips.com/EYUh-rain-man-...er/22.39/28.32

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I have all that CDL and some,I click it every time. It's not me I worry about,it's the other guy

Old 02-09-2014, 12:43 PM
maxum96
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
Having a Class A CDL doesn't make a person a better driver. I have seen a lot of pretty stupid Class A CDL drivers.

Ditto.

Got to clean up the aftermath last summer after a tractor/trailer semi failed to stop for a redlight. 14 vehicles destroyed including the semi. 3 people went to the hospital. And a major highway closed.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:45 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Per4mance
I have all that CDL and some,I click it every time. It's not me I worry about,it's the other guy
I wouldn't even want to think about "killing" someone because they weren't smart enough (or were too damn lazy) to click their seat belt, not to mention what it might do to their family. It's not about what "Big Brother" wants it's about having a little common sense and keeping yourself safe (unless you just don't give a damn).

Old 02-09-2014, 12:50 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
A Friend of mine who drove for years for Sysco had a guy commit suicide under the front of his truck. After impact, Pete went off the road through trees. Pete was wearing his seat belt and is thankful he was, the violent movement of his truck would have caused more damage to him than what He did end up with.

Of course, the guy in the pickup wasn't wearing his. Yes, they found his "good bye" note at his house.

It's others on the road that will get you.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:46 PM
FX-4 Man
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim, finally, a thoughtful, reasoned answer to my dilemma.
Now I know as a Class A driver, DOT has a responsibility to make sure I'm belted when I go past the scales, that's fine, it's my livelihood.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
There are studies out (don't have the links, so I can't post them), that state people are MORE likely to be injured or die in a crash because of seatbelt use, just like people wearing a motorcycle helmet are more likely to be killed than someone riding bareheaded.

I'm only going to comment on the motorcycle portion of this quote. You will find ZERO reputable studies that show what you are claiming. It may be one of the dumbest things I have heard or read.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:11 PM
FX-4 Man
Freshman User
Originally Posted by maxum96
Hmmm, you sound just the like the guy I scraped off the side of the highway last year after being ejected when he got distracted, drove off the side of the road and rolled about 4 times. The kind tax payers got stuck with the bill for all the emergency service people that responded, the in-depth investigation into the accident, the corner's investigation and the repairs to the road and traffic infrastructure that was damaged in the accident. And not to mention all the motorist inconvenienced by the road shutdown due to the investigation.

Oh, almost forgot, he was driving a 2004 F350 Crew cab.

Who was the author on that report that you linked? I couldn't find it. I can tell you that report is wrong. Multiple studies by traffic safety institutions show just the opposite. I've been to hundreds of accidents in my profession. And I can tell you, people belted are far more likely to survive than not. The argument that you're safer not to wear your seat belt is an old argument and not true. Do people die wearing seat belts? Unfortunately yes. And in the vast majority of those cases, they would have died even if they weren't belted. Some crashes are just too severe to survive no matter what.

I went to an accident a year ago where a car hit a tree head on. Two guys in the car. Both the same age and size. One belted, one not. Guess who lived and who didn't? The belted guy that lived had more damage on his side of the car, yet he lived. Went to another accident last year where the guy ran off the road. No belt and he got partially ejected. The SUV he was driving rolled over on him. The SUV probably could have been driven away as the damage wasn't that bad. He was dead by the time the first emergency responders got there within a few minutes.

Have there been times that people not wearing belts have survived? Yes. I witnessed one incident occur back in 1995 where three kids were speeding (witnesses estimated their speed at 90mph-100mph) when they lost control and the car rolled multiple times. Two were ejected. The one in the car was injured and in shock when I got to the car. One of the kids ejected had just scrapes and was walking around. So it is possible to survive not being belted.

Almost forgot, the driver was tossed over 100'. Nothing like doing CPR on someone and watching them die at your feet.

Watch this video and tell me you'd still feel it's safer not to be belted. 5 passengers. No one belted and they all died

Horrible drifting accident-Saudi Arabia- 25 5 2012 - YouTube
These IDIOTS were just asking to be removed from the gene pool. They all got what they deserved, driving like that!!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:19 PM
maxum96
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These IDIOTS were just asking to be removed from the gene pool. They all got what they deserved, driving like that!!

I jokenly refer to it as retroactive birth control

Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 PM
FX-4 Man
Freshman User
Originally Posted by maxum96

I jokenly refer to it as retroactive birth control

Old 02-20-2014, 05:05 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Never thought to check the manual for this but he it is annoying when we stop at the store and I run in for a min the wife and kids say it drives them crazy.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
I hear that too. It would be annoying to listen to the chime going off over and over, and being a diesel I do like to let it idle. Once you get the habit of wearing seat belts you really don't need the chime anyway. I reach for mine every time anyway.

As a bullet proof teen, I once had a car pull out in front of me on a wet 2lane highway. My 67 Chevelle with L60's ( remember those?) hydroplaned as soon as I stomped the brakes. Being an EXCELLENT driver I pumped them quickly several times and somehow managed to pass the car on the right with me mostly in the grass. My mighty Chevelle began to slow spin to the left as I crossed the centerline, sideways, completely out of control and still doing 50mph or so. After crossing the oncoming lane without getting hit I proceeded over an embankment that dropped 4-5 feet in about the same distance.with the car now going backwards the passengers side hit the ground first and me (with no seatbelt) slid across the seat and hit the passenger side door hard. The car stayed dirty side down but was spinning through the front yard of some peoples house. I was trying to get my foot on the brake when it came to a bump stop. Just hitting their front porch. After taking a short "shake break" in the passenger seat of my car, I got out to talk to the guy who had came out of the house and found my legs didn't work right. No injuries just adrenalin I guess. Only damage to the car was ding in the fender from the porch. Luckily I worked at a gas station at the time so I broke down the tires/rims on the passenger side to get the grass and dirt out of the beads.
I had ridden dirt bikes and built ramps for anything with wheels since I was a kid, but I couldn't forget the helpless feeling of this accident. What if the oncoming car had tagged me or someone had been standing in that yard, my car running over someone with me helpless piled up in the passenger seat?
While a seatbelt is mostly though of as a safety device for the occupants of a vehicle, it also keeps the driver at the controls which can have a impact on how an accident unfolds.
I scraped up a couple more cars after this (doing stupid stuff) but I always had my seatbelt on and stayed behind the wheel.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Double post

Quick Reply: turn off seatbelt Chime help please!!