1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Switch to synthetic??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 AM
blueovalbigblock
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switch to synthetic??

Hey guys i have been thinking of switching to synthetic oil in my 95. i have always just used motorcraft 10w 40 conventional diesel oil with the powerstroke logo on it from walmart lol. What is the advantage/disadvantage of running synthetic? also i have heard that i should drain my heads and hpop res to get all the old stuff out how do i drain the heads? i have done the hpop res but never the heads

Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
It's really stupid draining the heads and draining the hpop is a waste of time. Just change it normal.

And you mean 15w40 right? That is the diesel oil. Motorcraft is a good brand but all of it is junk now compared to what was available when we bought these trucks. Now emissions is the primary goal of the oil industry. It used to be making it better for the engine. Synthetic would be good if you get some extreme temps but other than that what you are using is just fine.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 AM
blueovalbigblock
Junior User
yeah 15w 40 sorry but i will stick with the motorcraft since its alot cheaper too. with my injectors and stuff would synthetic help performance at all?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:04 PM
marks500
Senior User
Originally Posted by blueovalbigblock
Hey guys i have been thinking of switching to synthetic oil in my 95. i have always just used motorcraft 10w 40 conventional diesel oil with the powerstroke logo on it from walmart lol. What is the advantage/disadvantage of running synthetic? also i have heard that i should drain my heads and hpop res to get all the old stuff out how do i drain the heads? i have done the hpop res but never the heads
Are you talking about Changing the Top End oil? I use a Lower Unit Pump for Outboard Engines. Its a little Slow but it works.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If you get low temps in the winter or very hot temps in the summer, in my opinion synthetic is worth the money.

Engine builds oil pressure much faster when cold starting.
Oil pressure stays higher longer under extreme heat.

I don't get the change the top oil thing.

Change the top oil, then drive down the road 5 miles.
All the top oil you worked so hard to change is now in the oil pan, and the oil out of the oil pan is now in the HPOP tank.

Instead of wasting time and money changing top oil, just put your engine on a regular 3500 mile schedule for oil and filter changes.
Then your top oil gets changed every 3500 miles.