Sponsored by:

BrakeMotive PowerStop Rotors for the Ex

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:02 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by 01EX
I received the Hawk pads within 4 days of my order.
Everthing Automotive indicated I would see the rotors within a week.
1 week went by,another e-mail stated 1 more week.
I cancelled my order on the rotors.

I will be looking for another supplier for the rotors.
Any suggestions.
I recommend lifetime replacement warranty rotors from O'Riellys.

I've used 'ceramic' pads on my PSD and think the stopping power is WEAK. I don't care about dust - I want to STOP. That said, I have EBC 7000 series Greenstuff on front of X and EBC 'Yellowstuff' (aggressive) all the way around the F350. With the free-replacement rotors, the stopping power is amazing and last set of rotors went 80k before a little abuse resulted in a light shimmy (warped rotor).

That is cheap enough price y'all are getting those drilled/slotted rotors for - but there is no measurable improvement in braking power or rotor/pad life with them - likely the opposite is the case . Rotors WILL wear-out and can warp under hard use - I dunno why O'Riellys will warranty them like they do, but its a sweeeeet deal for people like me who keep their junk forever (and roll on a bunch of miles!). Your best assurance against warped rotors is GOOD PADS and good driving habits.

Here's a thread where rotors were discussed in detail...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10068760

Old 04-15-2011, 05:41 PM
tims01
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is what i got

Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads Front & Rear | eBay

as far as the milage i get out of them .. well i dont tow mass amounts and when i do tow its usualy my dirt bikes or street bikes to places . my curant rotors are warped to high hevan so for %330 vs 600 is ok for me even if they only last a year for right now as im unimployed

Old 04-16-2011, 06:18 AM
01EX
Senior User
Originally Posted by tims01
this is what i got

Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads Front & Rear | eBay

as far as the milage i get out of them .. well i dont tow mass amounts and when i do tow its usualy my dirt bikes or street bikes to places . my curant rotors are warped to high hevan so for %330 vs 600 is ok for me even if they only last a year for right now as im unimployed

Thanks for the reply

You can't beat the price.
Hopefully you get alot of miles out of them.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 AM
01EX
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I recommend lifetime replacement warranty rotors from O'Riellys.

I've used 'ceramic' pads on my PSD and think the stopping power is WEAK. I don't care about dust - I want to STOP. That said, I have EBC 7000 series Greenstuff on front of X and EBC 'Yellowstuff' (aggressive) all the way around the F350. With the free-replacement rotors, the stopping power is amazing and last set of rotors went 80k before a little abuse resulted in a light shimmy (warped rotor).

That is cheap enough price y'all are getting those drilled/slotted rotors for - but there is no measurable improvement in braking power or rotor/pad life with them - likely the opposite is the case . Rotors WILL wear-out and can warp under hard use - I dunno why O'Riellys will warranty them like they do, but its a sweeeeet deal for people like me who keep their junk forever (and roll on a bunch of miles!). Your best assurance against warped rotors is GOOD PADS and good driving habits.

Here's a thread where rotors were discussed in detail...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10068760
Thanks for the reply.
You have alot of good advice. Thanks for the help.
I checked out the above thread.
I agree with what they are saying.
I like the idea of lifetime warranty.(O'riellys)

Old 04-23-2011, 02:28 AM
tims01
Elder User
just got my rotors and pads today .. build quality looks nice put the truck up on blocks and installed them .. went on damn easy with no fuss at all except for having to use the universal helper on the rear rotors ( using a hammer to take them off bue to emergency brake) .. bedded the brakes in soon after and omg so far i loveeee them .. night and day difference also my shake and shimmy that my truck has had for the past 100,000 miles went away to BOUNUSSSS

Old 04-23-2011, 04:29 PM
BoulderLionX
Junior User
Since I started this thread, I should update as I am 9 months into the rotors (with Hawk ceramic pads). Overall I am content with the rotors, but I have to admit that every time I come down from the mountains, they start to pulsate...and it's not like I ride them all the way down. I take it out of overdrive and the engine compression keeps the speed in check with only an occasional brake application. Although the pulsating isn't nearly as bad as what I used to experience with the stock rotors, it is still disappointing.

However, the next day when I back on the 'flat lands', the brakes are back to normal. That doesn't make much sense to me, but that is what I am experiencing. Given the price, and that my trips to the mountains are only occasional, I can live with it...especially since my Ex isn't a daily driver.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My brakes were shaking so bad that anything would have been better than what I had, but, I replaced mine a couple thousand miles ago with Hawk LTS Pads and the Brakemotive Powerslot Slotted, just slotted, not drilled, on the front. I went through the brake-in procedure as well as I could and the truck stops a lot better now. There is a little vibration right before coming to a stop. I dont know if that is because they are new, or not properly broken in, or if it is the actual "slots" or what, but, regardless, the brakes are so much better. I actually feel safe now!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 AM
01EX
Senior User
I checked into lifetime rotors from O'reilley's.
They are made by WAGNER.
Wagner has a lifetime warranty against defect.
Warped rotors fall into DEFECT regardless of miles.
So it appears any of the parts store who sell WAGNER rotors will have the defect warranty?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to check in with my 5,000 mile report with my Brakemotive Powerslot Rotors and pads. I bought the kit with 4 drilled and slotted rotors and brake pads all around for $225.95 on ebay. For break-in I did 6 brake slams from 55 to 5mph then let the brakes cool via driving home using no brakes except to stop completely in the driveway. After 5,000 miles I have no pulsation yet. I haven't done a thorough check but while having all four wheels off 3 or 4 times I have noticed no cracks. I have towed 10,000 lbs once and 4,000-6,000 lbs four times with the brake setup. I am VERY happy with my setup, especially given the low cost, but keep in mind I drive my Excursion like the 8,500 lb underbraked vehicles it is and do lots of coasting to save fuel.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 PM
04fivefour
Senior User
I just got mine in yesterday. I was really happy with shipping on them. I ordered at about 9am Tuesday and they were on my doorstep 10am Wednesday. I have had bad luck with ebay pads so I got Duralast Severe duty from autozone i get 20percent discount (employee) so that made them under 60 buck for front and rear. i will be installing on saturday, along with a new fuel pump, carpeting, speakers, amp, sub, radio... so i'll have a brand new truck on sunday lol

Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 AM
epfire#233
Junior User
Great conversation and opinions as always. I thought I was the only one with shimmy upon breaking but obviously not. I'll be purchasing new rotors and pads in preparation for hunting trips to the UP and WI next month and a two week trip to FL with the family. Thanks for all the good info. I'll report back after I pull the trigger.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:28 AM
tims01
Elder User
check in time for me to ..
well right now my 2wd 7.3 diesel is being used to haul a 20 foot enclosed trailer non stop.

i dont need the truck and my buddie who owns a enclosed trailer motorcycle towing company well he needs it as his truck is in the shop

. well he has had it for 2 months now (his truck needs a new hpop computer and injectors and head) the brakes have held up ... i told him to be very detailed and to keep attention to the brakes for me so i can do this wright up
well the truck stops shorter than his (whoot whoot) and he uses a trailer brake controller on his rig and not mine. no pulsation what so ever and never any hint of fade. god these brakes are awesome

Old 10-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7,000 miles on my Brakemotive Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors and pads now. No pulsation, smooth stopping, no visible pad wear. I also forgot to mention in my last post that the brake dust given off these pads is a very light gray and hardly noticeable after about 1,000 miles without cleaning. Not something I would base the purchase on, but definitely a killer bonus!