64.86%
replaced once
27.03%
replaced twice
5.41%
replaced three times or more
2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

How many have blown the high pressure power steering line?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:57 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Anybody think that this might be something we should loosen the connection and inspect, with an eye on replacing with something better, like a stainless C-clip?

Pop

Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 PM
SterlingStroker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding late model vehicles (although many would question whether 1996 models would qualify!), I can really only speak to the 1996 factory unit that I encountered on my truck. Although I would believe that others are similar.

There is no way I can envision taking the tubing out of the nut absent a failure of the snap ring. The clearance between the tubing and the nut (less than a couple of thousandth of an inch) makes it impossible to get to the snap ring, and the snap ring is toward the center of the nut. I was able to remove the snap ring on a 1980 fitting with a pick (In hopes that it would transfer into mine), but that snap ring was accessible and near the end of the nut. The 1980 snap ring was somewhat larger than the 1996 one, and it showed significant signs of wear on both sides, failure was not far away (I need to conquer posting pictures, they would speak volumes). My belief is that Ford places the snap ring in the nut, slides the tubing into the nut which momentarily flares the snap ring, then as soon as the tubing goes in far enough for the snap ring to seat in the grove in the tubing, it snaps into place, never to part again…until failure.

Up until the moment my hydraulic tube separated from the fitting on the pump, I had no signs that anything was amiss. No leaks, no warning that anything could be wrong until the hydraulic hose struck the fender well. What remained of the snap ring was adequate at holding the fitting together…until it wasn’t. I am glad it happened in my driveway instead of while my wife was negotiating an S curve at 65 mph. The loss of power steering, and for the newer Fords power brakes, could produce very negative consequences.

I would guess that it has not happened on a high percentage of vehicles, otherwise Ford would have been forced to undertake a safety recall. Perhaps it is more likely to fail when you are turning the wheels at slow speeds, I am not sure how the power steering pressures vary. My truck is presently still bone stock, inclusive of the original CPS, that flattened out down pipe, and 235 R 16 tires.

The 1996 Ford shop manual has a good diagram of the fitting/snap ring arrangement. My Ford dealer tells me that they have never heard of one failing (although they keep 200 of the hoses in stock for some odd reason… ). I was told that mine probably failed because I did not change the power steering fluid out annually…guilty as charged! But not a valid cause in my belief.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:04 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingStroker
I was told that mine probably failed because I did not change the power steering fluid out annually…
Gives you a real warm, fuzzy feeling about your dealer's techs, doesn't it, when the feed you BS like that!

I guess they believe we're all just stupid, and will believe anything they tell us.

After all, they're Ford Factory Trained Technicians!

Can you use the word "loathe" in a sentence, little Johnny?

Pop

Old 07-18-2011, 04:56 PM
ashleymc
Junior User
05 STX with 40k!! leaking pressure hose!!

I believe its that c clip too..causing rubbing..its only a drop now so how long do i have??

Old 07-18-2011, 06:03 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
Without seeing one....could you tap the PS housing with a NPT tap, then use a NPT to JIC flare fitting like they use on hydraulic hoses?

Here's an example:

Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I put two in my 1994 f150 in 14 years.. That count? My current PSD, has original.

Also the poll should list Salt area or not. My 01 is rust free clean as a button and stored in the winter free from salt. My Buddy has a 01.. I should get a comparison picture because he is about to put it to pasture.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM
TinkerTroy
7th Gear
Power Steering High Pressure Hose Fitting Failure

Originally Posted by PaulDH
My neighbor researched this subject on the Forums after replacing his PS hose. He did find it to be a recurring problem. The C-clip connection on the Ford hose is way flimsy. To the extent that I consider it a design defect. This will leave you stranded when it blows free of the pump - hopefully somewhere rather convenient - until a new high pressure hose can be installed and the system re-charged with tranny fluid.
Same exact thing here and I'm convinced it's a design flaw. Everything about my hose is in great condition but that little c-clip sheared (removed what remained upon close inspection) and let the pipe end fly out of the fitting and spew fluid all over. Was turning on grass maybe a little too quick but slow speed then felt it go and Bam! Trying to find the simple c-clip to no avail and very disappointed to have to replace the entire line over it but fortunately not too expensive at about $30 from Napa. I'm going to keep this old line in hopes that someone might point out where the clip can be obtained.

'96 F-350 Powerstroke running 33's

Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TinkerTroy
Same exact thing here and I'm convinced it's a design flaw.
Yup. Must be a design flaw. Mine's only lasted 410,000 miles, so it must be Ford's fault.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:21 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts
Thus far... no HP PS hose replacements.

Vehicle 1: Salt free '02 F250 7.3, 220K plus on the original HP PS hose.
Vehicle 2: Salt free '03 Excursion 7.3, 185K plus on the original hose.
Vehicle 3: Salt Free '02 F250 7.3, 285K plus on original hose.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:57 PM
MorrisCtyFord
Freshman User
mine blew over the weekend ('02 f350 w/ 157k and slightly larger 285/75 tires). Pressure line from hydroboost to pump separated from the nut in the pump - Absolutely no warning, steering and brakes were gone in a second along with a few quarts of mercon on the ground. Good thing I was doing 5mph in a parking lot and not 70 down the highway.
I would consider this a maintenance item to be replaced on an age/milage basis instead of waiting for it to fail - cheap insurance in my book.
Extra pressure hoses have been added to the "just-in case needed" parts bin in the truck.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
blew my 1st one at about 150K. yep the C clip popped. replaced the 2nd one about 175K. cause when i installed the 1st one it was dark and cold and I didn't see it rubbing on the I/C tube when I tightened it up.

Barney

Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 AM
repoer
New User
My first one lasted 410000 now i have had 4 blow apart at possibly a swivel above pump fitting in the last 1000 miles 1 auto zone 2 napa and one ford what could now be causing this ???

Old 05-08-2013, 02:22 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you possibly overtightening it upon install? I'm guessing there becasue I have no other ideas.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 PM
repoer
New User
No i dont think so it workes for a day or so than blowes a leak at the swivel by the pump neaver before but now 5 times in two weeks ,,felt it blow twice as i was backing up and applied brakes any got any ideas???????????????????

Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by repoer
No i dont think so it workes for a day or so than blowes a leak at the swivel by the pump neaver before but now 5 times in two weeks ,,felt it blow twice as i was backing up and applied brakes any got any ideas???????????????????
Are you installing the teflon seal yourself or buying the hose already set up?

Quick Reply: How many have blown the high pressure power steering line?