Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

the good and the bad of all makes

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 02:43 AM
ghak
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wanna know the good and bad you have found for all the makes.

Old 03-02-2003, 05:41 AM
franktheman
Senior User

Thats a way open question, to open.

I would'int expect too many replies on this one-it can go all over the place and turn into something completely different then what you were looking for.
This is the type of thread that gets lots of arguements going that end up way off topic, or dos'ent get very many answers at all, I'd bet it's the latter....lol.

Best thing you could do is at least offer some models for comparision, or components ie; who has the best diesel?, rear axles? warranty? air conditioners?, etc,etc.

Personally I like them all, but there are things about each I'm not to fond of;
LIKES - Chevy

Transmission: I'm not an auto tranny fan but if I had to have one it would be the Allison behind the Dmax- that 8.1L is a pig.

Springs: I love lookin those rear leaves in the Chevy, and seeing 6 plus 1 in the 3/4 HD and 6+1 + 2 aux in the 1ton.

Engine: 6.0L v8, its the one outstanding engine for it's class in Chevy lineup, Ford has nothing like it, really WIDE powerband in that one. Dodge has the Hemi but something still dos'ent seem right about it yet.

Transmission: NV4500 5spd, cast iron + gear oil -nuff said.

DISLIKES - Chevy
Quadrasteer: Hope not to offend some, but this is a really chinzy thing IMO -more to go wrong, don't see the need for it.

Fit and finish: Definately less than Fords, not just the new ones, seems that way even with older models we've owned.

LIKES Ford

Engine: 6.8Lv10 Best big block goin from what I've seen, its got close power to the 8.1L and 8.0L Dodge, but it's not the pig that those 2 are. Best gas engine goin from any truck make IMO.(wish I'd have spent the extra 600 and waited the 7 wks to get it )

Springs: Just as good as Chevy's-not as many but their thicker and more robust- mine take good loads in my 5.4L SD.

7.3L PSD: I've driven lots of diesels, and I've driven this one more than any other-thats cause more trucks had them, including International 4700's-never once failed me personally, more engine than most people will ever really need but thats not a bad thing,I guess....lol.

Fit and finish: Of all the trucks I've ever owned and driven Fords always seemed to suffer less from the little things-***** falling off, broken door locks, seats that won't adjust anymore, sagging doors,etc,etc.

DISLIKES Ford

Engine: 4.2L v6- worst engine I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with personally in my 98' F150.

Transmission: M5OD- see above.

Dimensions: Fords sit higher than they really need to IMO-that kills handling and if I were ever to buy a new 4x4( at 7' tall) I'd think twice, but this is my opinion-of course if I bought it with the intention of constantly going off road with it, all of this would be a benefit.

LIKES Dodge

Engine: Cummins diesel, hearing the "brrrrrrrrrrrr" is sexy...lol.
Also without a doubt the best diesel going IMO.

Transmission: NV5600, strongest manual tranny offered by anyone, 360lbs of cast iron + 7 quarts of gear oil-gotta love that!

Styling: IMO it's the prettiest truck to look at.

Wheels: 17" rims really fill those wheel wells nicely. May even have a strength advantage to 16" rims for tire loads (19.5" rims do this and the tire O.D. is about the same as 16" tires)

DISLIKES Dodge

Engine: Not to sure bout those Hemi's but this is pure speculation on my part, I've no experience with them.

Transmission(Auto): Again from what I've heard Dodge has the worst but I've never owned one, though I don't believe so many could be wrong.

Springs. Not enough of them, the ones on it stock are too long for most heavy applications. Not as many as Chevy, and not as robust as Ford's.

Well there you have it, so -what do you like/dislike about all 3?

Regards.

Old 03-02-2003, 06:24 PM
ghak
New User

what i'm looking for is people experience whith any idiosyncracies with these pickups. Specifically i'm talking about late 60's to late 70's pickups. Things like how hard or easy are they to work on how much difference is there in part prices, any known mechanical weaknes or design flaws. And some emperical opinions on handling, comfort, load handling ability and things that could be better.

Old 03-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, The fastest at your leisure way to inform yourself is to go to the corresponding truck forums and READ them.

As you read them jot down the things that are commonly asked.

You can also do a search using specific words.

You wouldn't have to ask anyone there are Tons of threads to get info from.

Then when you are done with Fords you can search out a Chevy Truck forum and do the same thing there.

All it takes is reading, there Guy!

Old 03-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Joe fix it
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I guess poor Frank didn't have to type up all that then,

about your question
1. They are all really easy to work on compared to new computer controlled vehicles, but I believe Chevy has the easier one to work one (never owned one, just what I hear from others)

2. Again I believe Chevy gots us beat (agian never owned one)

3. Chevy- the frame by the power steering pump cracks,
- paint flackes off
- rust worse (because there is no paint left)

Dodge- Gas guzzler
-weak auto trannies
-Ugly until 94
- wind noise

Ford- I wish I had better milage
- thats about it, I love Ford

4. Handling- Ford
load hauling- Chevy/Ford

-

Old 03-09-2003, 11:31 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master

i really dont like the new dodge vans or cars, have yet to drive there trucks. the vans are doggie and slow. not very comfie

there cars just plain suck

chevy cavs and pontiac sunfires arnt much better. grand am/prix/gts are the best

trucks and suvs i dont liek the jimmy, the avalnche is cool, handles like a tahoe, its a tahoe with a 6 t bed or so
explorer/expy i like more

love the new ford diesles and the f150s

Old 03-21-2003, 10:43 PM
slipknot
New User
Thumbs down the good and the bad of all makes

Fords' 4.2 L engine is a complete joke.
Worst product they I ever had the pleasure of costing me money.
They had no business replacing the 300 straight 6.
The gaskets from the factory are no good, even the ones they did not say needed a recall on.

I'll buy a Toyota before I buy a Ford again.
I can't believe I just said that.

I'll be lucky if my 97' van will still be worth the $4100 I paid for a replacement engine once the truck payments are all done being made next month. Pathetic

Old 03-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Trucks have always had a higher resale value than any car. You will have to excuse this but all vehicles are garbage. Seriously though after you buy it something goes downhill quickly. It happens on every vehicle and if it doesn't break then you get a recall notice in the mail a couple weeks later. You have to expect something to break its totally normal. The older vehicles are easier to fix because there are millions of them in junkyards. I have worked on just about every vehicle or at least helped pull parts, but I am not a certified mechanic, whatever that means. I love to pick around junkyards and normally spend 3-4 days a week in there. I love to find things. Even bad things sometimes. I think that most older trucks made by chevy and ford are pretty easy to work on, mopars are more difficult because people drive them until they have a massive break down and regardless of what anyone says it is rarely just one part that needs to be replaced in that situation. I would say that as far as recalls go that Dodge is usually the best at admitting fault and getting it fixed quickly. I have had fords and chevits where the dealers will try to pawn off something like that like you did it. I have even had them refuse to fix a recall saying that the VIN shows that it was fixed, just take a look I say, that particular dealer was contacted about that several times by FoMoCo and is no longer in business. For the few toyotas that I have owned the dealer did the work because I refuse to speak metric. Why don't you try and **** me off more I say as I push the little truck onto the trailer. I would not say that anyone manufacturer has a superior vehicle except BMW, they have been the best and strongest cars I have ever owned, I am totally impressed by the amount of engineering that goesnto a car of this caliber. Thye are simply amazing. I have heard many stories about dodge automatic trannies, mostly by people that have never owned one, I have owned them and I have no real complaints, you are supposed to change the fluid once in a while. If you don't take care of your car how do you expect it to take care of you. Follow the maintenence schedule and you should not have a problem. There is a reason that they put that in the car to begin with. Thats all I can think of right now.

Last edited by Carlene; 03-23-2003 at 02:21 PM.