Sponsored by:

3rd row captain chairs...???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 PM
gtmgooser
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd row captain chairs...???

Hey guys, I have been running for a while now with my 3rd row bench seat out of my X and I really like it. I was talking with the wife (I don't know why) but she asked about installing 2 more captain chairs in place of the 3rd row bench seat. I thought.... yea, I like that idea. Has anyone ever done such a thing? I'm also having trouble finding another pair of 2 tone leather chairs to match the 4 already in the vehicle. At any rate, if anyone has done this or knows where I can find more info on doing such a mod I would greatly appreciate it. Winters almost here and it sounds like a fun garage project.

Thanks,
George

Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you get response on this. I'd like to toy with that idea. But i would have to be able to remove them. You know why I am writing this. So I'll get an email when you get feedback.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:54 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great idea

I like that idea! If they could be removable it would give some options on extra carry space. I have not gone out to look at the space yet but in my minds-eye it seems like a custom mount bracket attached to a seat like the 2nd row seats might work....?

Maybe an Explorer or Expedition has seats like that? I've never looked at one.

I measured the width of the second row seat in my Excursion and they are about 24" wide. The rear area at the 3rd row seat is about 53" wide so 2 of the 2nd row captains chairs would fit side by side but be close together.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Anything can be done. But the 3rd row mounts on the floor are at the very ends of the bench seat now. So to have two captain chairs back there you would have to fab up a bracket to match the one on the bench seat and than mount the captain chairs to that bracket. Or if you wanted to cut stuff up you could cut the bracket off the bottom of the bench seat and mount the captain chairs to that.

If you wanted to get fancy you could make the lower bracket to snap into the floor mounts and fab up some round bars on the top side of the bracket for the captain chairs to latch onto like they do in the 2nd row factory position.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:44 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Originally Posted by TheBestKindOfEX
I like that idea! If they could be removable it would give some options on extra carry space. I have not gone out to look at the space yet but in my minds-eye it seems like a custom mount bracket attached to a seat like the 2nd row seats might work....?

Maybe an Explorer or Expedition has seats like that? I've never looked at one.

I measured the width of the second row seat in my Excursion and they are about 24" wide. The rear area at the 3rd row seat is about 53" wide so 2 of the 2nd row captains chairs would fit side by side but be close together.
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Anything can be done. But the 3rd row mounts on the floor are at the very ends of the bench seat now. So to have two captain chairs back there you would have to fab up a bracket to match the one on the bench seat and than mount the captain chairs to that bracket. Or if you wanted to cut stuff up you could cut the bracket off the bottom of the bench seat and mount the captain chairs to that.

If you wanted to get fancy you could make the lower bracket to snap into the floor mounts and fab up some round bars on the top side of the bracket for the captain chairs to latch onto like they do in the 2nd row factory position.
I think the 3rd row bench has the forward floor mounts near the ends but the rear floor mounts are more towards the center. The unlatch handle on the rear moves both latches at the same time.

That's what I meant in my earlier post, fab a bracket that is permanently mounted to the captain chair that locks into the floor mounts for the 3rd row, and unlatches for removal......let's see who builds one first!

Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
gtmgooser
New User
Keep the ideas coming....

I'm going to pull the X into the garage this weekend and start looking at this more seriously. I was thinking about taking the mounting brakets, wheels, etc.... off the bench seat and mounting that hardware to some kind of flat stock and then mounting the seats to the flat stock (nicely covered in matching floor carpeting). This would allow for the 3rd row seatst to be removed during hunting seasons.

Now to the real problem..... finding matching 2 tone leather captain chairs. I did a rather exausting search of the web last night and found nothing. Anyone have any leads on where to find these????

Old 11-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I was thinking about this today. What would be nice is finding another 1st row captain chairs all power with heat and bracket them to fit the second row. Than use the 2nd row captain chairs for the 3rd row.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the ultimate arrangement would be to have the third row captain's seats be able to be removed or folded down individually. Five or six seating with storage capacity.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:28 PM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I was thinking about this today. What would be nice is finding another 1st row captain chairs all power with heat and bracket them to fit the second row. Than use the 2nd row captain chairs for the 3rd row.
Originally Posted by Rickx
I think the ultimate arrangement would be to have the third row captain's seats be able to be removed or folded down individually. Five or six seating with storage capacity.
Ditto

Ditto

Someone will figure it out and tell the rest of us!

Now we need to get to measuring and fitting........

Old 11-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Someone donate their seats to me and I can fab up the 2nd row and 3rd row seat brackets to bolt right in. I could make extras for others at the same time.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:28 PM
gtmgooser
New User
just scored on a pair of matching captains seats to replace the 3rd row bench in my EB. Once I get back in town I'm going to start looking at mounting options and the like. I'll keep ya all posted.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:47 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Originally Posted by gtmgooser
just scored on a pair of matching captains seats to replace the 3rd row bench in my EB. Once I get back in town I'm going to start looking at mounting options and the like. I'll keep ya all posted.
Can't wait to see how it works out. Pics will be a plus for all of us thinking of doing the same. The front seats in my limited are probably too expensive for me to buy now, but, someday I'll get them!

Old 07-19-2021, 08:48 PM
excursion_sandiego
New User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBestKindOfEX
Can't wait to see how it works out. Pics will be a plus for all of us thinking of doing the same. The front seats in my limited are probably too expensive for me to buy now, but, someday I'll get them!

3rd row buckets Removable Fold down individually Kids love them

Old 07-19-2021, 08:51 PM
excursion_sandiego
New User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 07-19-2021, 10:56 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Give us some details man!

Quick Reply: 3rd row captain chairs...???