Duraspark II Conversion - How To

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:37 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Ah, you're the Direct Fit guy, I remember you.

But I don't remember all the issues and this thread is 5 pages long, I'm at work ATM and don't have time to go through it all.

On th outset, I have to say that I don't know what you're talking about, maybe I'm just trying to read too fast. The first picture looks like what connects to the module; the green wire is for the tachometer, the red & white wires are power (one in START, the other in RUN) and the others go to the distributor IIRC.

The second pic, um, I'm not sure what I'm looking at and what the problem is... IIRC my distributor has a round plug, can't say I remember a gray square plastic thing like that, though... is that what you're mainly asking about?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first pic, is of the engine wiring harness plugs (what in the truck). The second pic, is of the ignition wiring harness ends ends (module side). Question #1: How can I make this ignition harness work? Question #2: Where can I find the correct ignition wiring harness (what vehicles)?

Old 02-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Sean - I've been asked to jump in here to see if I can help. Here's a pic of Rusty's connections (see sig) and you can see by the blue grommet he's running DS-II. That's what your truck should have to be running DS-II, whether 6 or 8 cylinders.

The first thing I see in comparing to your truck's wiring is that you don't seem to have a 2-pin connector with red and white wires. And the picture of the ignition harness connections looks wrong as well. So, it looks to me like your truck is not set up for DS-II and that you have the wrong harness. I've not read all of the many pages of this thread to find out what you have (look who's talking), but could you give me a short synopsis of what you have?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:17 PM
ctubutis
Thank you, Gary!

Although I'm shocked you'd be hesitant to read a mere 6 pages

Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Welcome - hope it helps. As for reading a whole thread to figure out what the guy's truck is, I strongly prefer to see it in his sig. I realize some, like you, turn the sigs off, but for me I like to have the info right there in front of me instead of going looking for it. Or, to put it another way, I'd rather work on my truck that search for needles in a haystack.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean_Reno
The square grey plug has the coil hot wire(red) and the oil and temp sender wires.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:47 AM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
Originally Posted by tinman52
The square grey plug has the coil hot wire(red) and the oil and temp sender wires.
Thanks Scott...so, Im guessing I could just change out the Gray Plug?!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:00 AM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Sean - I've been asked to jump in here to see if I can help. Here's a pic of Rusty's connections (see sig) and you can see by the blue grommet he's running DS-II. That's what your truck should have to be running DS-II, whether 6 or 8 cylinders.

The first thing I see in comparing to your truck's wiring is that you don't seem to have a 2-pin connector with red and white wires. And the picture of the ignition harness connections looks wrong as well. So, it looks to me like your truck is not set up for DS-II and that you have the wrong harness. I've not read all of the many pages of this thread to find out what you have (look who's talking), but could you give me a short synopsis of what you have?
Thanks for the help!! I'm going to post pics, of the two harnesses I picked-up late today. I know, I need to use the Blue Module. And, I bought a Cardone Reman (30-2669) Distributor/Dizzy. The harness, is where I'm having trouble...I'm in Nevada, so just about everything I've come across...has California Emissions (my 85' has CA Emissions).

Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 AM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
Old 02-18-2014, 03:05 AM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
Old 02-18-2014, 03:09 AM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
The 5-plug harness, is off an 83 F150 I6-300 w/ CA Emissions. I think, I can just remove the extra 2-plugs and wires. The 3-plug harness, is off an 81' Bronco V8 (fairly short harness).

Old 02-18-2014, 03:11 AM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
One other thing...on the 5-plug harnesS...the plug w/the Green Wire, ONLY Has ONE wire.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:24 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
For a proper fit without modifications, you will need a harness from a 1980 - 1983 F100, F150, or Bronco that has an I6 engine. [Except for California models that used Duraspark III] these years still used Duraspark II.

Be aware that some models had a tachometer, and some didn't. A harness for a truck that has a factory tach on it will have an extra plug, and the ones that didn't have a tach will not have the extra plug in the harness.

Capiche?
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
I don't believe this is correct. The wiring harness is pretty much the same from about 76/77 - 83.

The wiring harness in my '84 came from a 78, I believe.

Not only that, but nothing is different between a tach and a non-tach version. The only difference between a tach and non-tach equipped truck is the circuit board on the back side of the instrument cluster. The signals are all still there whether you have a tach or not.

My '81 came without a tach, and I simply swapped in an instrument cluster that had one and it worked immediately.

I was referring to the Duraspark harness, Chief. There is a difference between a DSII harness that uses a factory tachometer and one that doesn't:

Originally Posted by Sean_Reno
That plug in the middle is for the TACHOMETER connection. If you get a DSII harness from a model that didn't come with a factory tach, that plug would not be there.

The one above has a green wire and a black wire because it was intended for a V8 engine. An I6 engine only uses a single green wire. To make the V8 harness work for an I6, you need to remove or cut the black [ground] wire or else your tach will read too low.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Sean_Memphis
More Turbo
My truck, has 3-plugs on the main engine harness (as seen in an earlier pic), and DOESN'T have a factory tach. No one said; Will either harness (pictured) work w/little or no modification?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM
ctubutis
I don't think anybody can directly answer YES or NO as nobody here has seen your truck, probably the best anybody can say is: "There's a chance."

You really need to go look at some of the Duraspark wiring diagrams that are out there, look at what connects to what, then look at your own wiring and see if you have what you need. Look at the colors of the wires that get connected together as connections are made. Trace wires to see what goes where. There aren't but a handful of wires, this isn't hard.

Note, some of the diagrams show a (brown) wire from the I plug on the solenoid to the ignition coil, this provides power to the coil with the key in START and is necessary on some wiring configurations (but I forget which years used that).

Also, be aware that red connects to white and white connects to red when hooking up the module to the wiring; the plug goes on only one way and has only one mate and it has been "backwards" like that for seemingly forever, yet a lot of wiring diagrams out there don't show that (they show red to red, white to white).

The tachometer feed is just a single (green) wire from the coil to the tach; whether you have it or not is inconsequential to the running of the engine. If you don't have a tach but have the wiring for it, it shall remain unused, that's all.

That square, gray connector, I'll bet there's a mating connector with the remainder of the harness..

Unwrap your harness(es) and look at what you have, YOU have to determine if what you have will work for you or not...

Quick Reply: Duraspark II Conversion - How To