1976 MOTOR TRANS SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Tankmen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1976 MOTOR TRANS SWAP

Hey Gang,

This is a barn find my son and I are building. The vincode said it was a 1975 with a 6 cly and a "G" code transmission. It came with a 300 6 cly attached to a C6 (not installed) We put the engine and tranny and had to change the rear tranny mount (two bolts going into the cross member) to the one to match the cross member on the truck (one bolt through the cross member). The cross member holes will not line up with the chassi holes, and the front portion of the two piece drive shaft will have to be shortend.

My questions:
Should I just drill holes in the chassi to match the new location of the cross member, or find a cross member to match the tranny?

Is there a shorter front portion of the drive shaft available, perhaps the same year as the motor and tranny or just get the drive shaft cut?

Thanks
Planning to do a build tread!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 378 Likes on 284 Posts
Are you talking about the slip on the front driveshaft? The 78-79 had a married transfer case and 77 and older had a divorced. They have different length front shafts....

We need more info on your truck to really help tho. 2wd/4wd, stock/lifted..

Old 12-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Tankmen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the lack of info! It is stock height, 2wd. I just checked the fit, the female yoke on the front of the short drive shaft is too small and will not fit the C6.