1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin ltx m/s2 or at2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 AM
BrianF-250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin ltx m/s2 or at2?

So I live in the mountains of Colorado and just found out that the Conti's that come on the F250 are dangerous in snow and ice. I hate the idea of taking off a brand new pair of tires, but these just won't work around here. I was going to do a dedicated snow tire and put them back on in the summer, but nobody has the right size anymore. Now I am thinking of getting the Michelin LTX, but can't decide between the M/S2 or the AT2. The AT has more aggressive tread, and the M/S has more siping for ice traction. I am a contractor and need to have some job site traction and towing ability. It looks like you might get better mpg out of the m/s. More worried about better traction especially in winter conditions. Any input or experience with both would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like both are popular tires to upgrade to.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Dodsie
New User
Didn't like the ltx at 2

I had the ltx at 2's on my 07 f-250 and they made the truck move side to side driving down the road. I checked everything on the truck from front end to wheel alignment. The truck only had 95000 kms on it. Dealer took them back for a full refund. I know personally two other people with 3/4 ton trucks that had them and returned them at full charge due to them wearing out way too soon. Michelin makes damn good tires but I don't know of anyone who liked the ltx at-2's.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:15 AM
motown
Senior User
I have A2"s on my truck & my wife Jeep Commander and I'm really disapointed with their performance in the snow. And the bad thing is, Michelins last forever, so I'm stuck with them for a while. I wish I had bought Bridgestone Revo's, I've had good experiances with them.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:19 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I replaced the stock Conticraps with the AT2's. Huge improvement. They are great in the snow. Do some searching here because there are many people satisfied with these tires. Also checkout the customer surveys at Tire Rack dot com.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:55 AM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Check out posts on issues with Michelin LTX AT2's on FTE. There have been alot of concerns voiced on premature wear and chunks falling off the tires. Some have suggested there is too much torque for these tires. Also there is a TB from Ford on the issue. Search on the tires.

I have the AT2's on my F250 and so far no issues and find the ride and handling quite fine. I also only have 4K KM's on them.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
I didn't realize that he had a 2011 diesel.

For prior model years, the reviews have been favorable.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:41 PM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
I wasnt sure either ..... just guessing given a contractor, and towing ..........

Old 11-12-2010, 05:22 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
The M/S2 is an awsome tire as long as you are not going into heavy mud.

Mine have over 50K of very hard use on them and they still have 7/32s left.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:31 PM
RAGaz
Mountain Pass
I have both - the AT2's on my F350 and the MS2's on my Expedition. Both are great and I have not had any problems with either whatsoever. I live in the mountains of WY, so I am in the same boat as you.

I went with the AT2's for my F350 because it is my do-it-all rig (towing, camping, hunting, fishing). I wanted a tire that could handle all conditions. We get off road frequently and the AT2's have been outstanding in all conditions - including snow and ice. In fact, I found myself rarely using 4wd last winter. HUGE improvement over the Conti's.

My Expedition spends 95% of it's life on the road, so I went with the MS2's. They have excellent traction in snow and ice - we've had some this year already. 70K mile warranty. I suspect that these will last longer than the AT2's on my F350. I will add that I have had them on slick Forest Service roads and they did great.

I would say that if your jobs take you off road frequently into snow and mud, go with the AT2's for the better off road traction. If you stay mainly on the roads/highways, stick with the MS2's. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I use the AT2's during the winter and the Contis during summer. The AT2 tires work fine for general winter driving and snow plowing. They are holding up well when used for towing also. These are load range E tires.

You will need some extra weight in the truck bed for winter driving. Diesel trucks have so much torque that the tires can easily brake loose when driving in snow. Figure 300# or so in the bed.

Lou Braun

Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 PM
BrianF-250
Freshman User
nope gas

Sorry, I guess I should have specified, but I have a 2011 with gas motor. Decided that I am not dragging my horses around enough anymore to justify the money on diesel. I love the truck, but definitely would be missing the diesel if I was towing more. Right now, I just feel like I will get there, but just a little slower than I used to. Anyway, thanks for all the input. I ordered a set of m/s2's today. I decided that I am much more concerned with snow and ice rather than the off road ability. Got them from Discount tire for $216 free shipping in the 275/70 18 size.

Thanks again.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the A/T2's and have 13K miles on them. They are very quiet and smooth. I haven't rotated them yet but plan to do so next week. Here is a pic of the right front tire...

PB120005.jpg?t=1289609940

Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ordered BF Goodrich All Terrain A/T KOs for my 20011 F350. Whoever up the post called the Continentals Concrap or whatever, they got it right. That is for snow, mud or ice. I'll be running them in the summer though, as they're good street tires. I live in Colorado also and have been using these Bf Goodrich on all my trucks and the jeep. To me there the best all around tire out there.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:43 PM
chambers
Junior User
Originally Posted by snelldawg
I replaced the stock Conticraps with the AT2's. Huge improvement. They are great in the snow. Do some searching here because there are many people satisfied with these tires. Also checkout the customer surveys at Tire Rack dot com.
Excellent tire.. good in snow, wet roads good ride/stability quiet. Continentals should be considered "unsafe at any speed"

Old 11-14-2010, 08:23 AM
BrianF-250
Freshman User
conti's

It amazes me that Ford still sells these tires on their trucks. It was even an upcharge tire at the dealership! I have lived in snow all my life and am very proficient driving in it. The other day, I had absolutely no control going down hill with less than 2" of snow on the ground. These are brand new tires! I was sure that I was going to roll my truck off the side and land in my barn. That would have been a bad day all around. The gas pedal saved me. To sell such a one dimensional tire on a multi use vehicle that is designed to work for a living seems stupid to me. I guess they get a good deal and they can keep costs down. Unfortunately, I am out another thousand bucks on a new truck now.

Quick Reply: Michelin ltx m/s2 or at2?