Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2 cycle oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:35 AM
bigbubba87
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 cycle oil

i looked at a bunch of other threads and could not find the answer so here it is. i am going to start running 2 cycle oil in my fuel i looked a wally world today and they had universal and outboard 2 cycle oil. what is the difference in the two? They were both super tech brand. can either of them be mixed and not hurt anything? what is the recommended ratio to mix?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbubba87
i looked at a bunch of other threads and could not find the answer so here it is. i am going to start running 2 cycle oil in my fuel i looked a wally world today and they had universal and outboard 2 cycle oil. what is the difference in the two? They were both super tech brand. can either of them be mixed and not hurt anything? what is the recommended ratio to mix?
I run the outboard supertech, blue bottle with the teal green on the lable. not sure about the universal.
generally its 1/2 oz to 1 oz per gal of diesel. I just dump in a full quart to every tank full.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM
bigbubba87
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok thanks i was going to get the outboard cuz it is in a gallon jug but i didnt know if that was the right stuff or not.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Waltdog
of American machinists

Frank, what would you say is your cost per tank utilizing 2 stroke oil?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Nick 99
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you get the 2 stroke that meets the TCW-3 marine rating you should be good to go!

Old 11-21-2010, 01:36 PM
grapplermi
Junior User
I'm a little behind the curve here, but why is this done?

Matt

Old 11-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Waltdog
Frank, what would you say is your cost per tank utilizing 2 stroke oil?
I tend to do 1 oz per gal of diesel, so it's about $5 a tank for me, but most people use 1/2 oz per gal. @ $2.50 a tank.

Originally Posted by grapplermi
I'm a little behind the curve here, but why is this done?

Matt
To make up for the ultra low sulfur that's in todays diesel fuel. It helps lubricate the injectors. My engine is quieter with the 2 stroke. There are plenty of threads about it that go into more detail, and show actual numbers to compare additives if you want to do a search.
Alot of people prefer DK, I tried it for the benefit of adding cetane along with extra lubrication, but I didn't feel any difference or hear any difference with the injectors over straight diesel, so I went back to 2 stroke.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:37 PM
N4TECguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franko72
I tend to do 1 oz per gal of diesel, so it's about $5 a tank for me, but most people use 1/2 oz per gal. @ $2.50 a tank.

To make up for the ultra low sulfur that's in todays diesel fuel. It helps lubricate the injectors. My engine is quieter with the 2 stroke. There are plenty of threads about it that go into more detail, and show actual numbers to compare additives if you want to do a search.
Alot of people prefer DK, I tried it for the benefit of adding cetane along with extra lubrication, but I didn't feel any difference or hear any difference with the injectors over straight diesel, so I went back to 2 stroke.
Do you think there's any issues with not having the cetane booster aspect by using 2 stroke oil? What's the benefit of boosting cetane anyway? I know in gassers if you boost octane on an engine designed for regular gas, you're pretty much wasting money.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:11 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by N4TECguy
Do you think there's any issues with not having the cetane booster aspect by using 2 stroke oil? What's the benefit of boosting cetane anyway? I know in gassers if you boost octane on an engine designed for regular gas, you're pretty much wasting money.
The higher the cetane #, the sooner the ignition, so higher cetane can help with cold starts. But there is a point where more cetane does nothing, just like you mention with higher octane gasoline.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:17 PM
N4TECguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by binuya
The higher the cetane #, the sooner the ignition, so higher cetane can help with cold starts. But there is a point where more cetane does nothing, just like you mention with higher octane gasoline.
What about in warmer weather or when the engine has warmed up? Does cetane boost do anything then?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:54 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by N4TECguy
What about in warmer weather or when the engine has warmed up? Does cetane boost do anything then?
The way I understand it, our PSD's are optimized to run on a low 40's cetane #. The minimum cetane of pump #2 is 40. Personally, I would question any improvements by adding cetane additives to an average tank of pump #2. Unless you knew what the cetane rating was to begin with. I run B100 most of the time and biodiesel has a cetane rating of 50-55. But I wouldn't notice any difference anyway since I'm running a fuel with fewer BTU's than pump diesel.