1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 01:16 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Drove the truck today, think I need to pull the accelerator pump off and shorten the rod. I have a hesitation that I haven't had for a while, probably because the economizer valve was leaking and putting extra fuel into the engine compensating for the accelerator pump not spraying right. I did try it before I took the carb apart and it seemed like if you just barely touched the throttle it wouldn't spray so that might be my hesitation is at part throttle it isn't spraying a full shot.

But I will live with it for now as its too hot to pull that apart and I don't know if I want to mess with it today. I know when the engine was cold when I started driving her wanted to take and hesitate bad but once warmed up it was almost not noticeable just very slight. So I think it has to do with the accelerator pump rod being just a tad too long.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:10 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
I changed my brake light switch this morning before it got too muggy.

I was going to change the oil but the asphalt was too hot to lay on by the time I got out of work.
that is why I have not touched my truck for a few weekends too hot in the garage even with box fans.

Yesterday at 7am I was out on the tractor cutting grass for 3 hours before it got too hot.

I have decided to buy the left side door lower patch panels (inner & outer)as they are not much and I am sure a lot less work than trying to make ones for a bow tie I have here in the garage fit.
This way when it does cool off I can cut the rust out of the door and do the body work on both as needed.
Dave ----

Old 07-24-2016, 06:32 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Well pulled the accelerator pump rod to try and screw it into the plastic connector to shorten it. Down side is cant do it as I am afraid of breaking the old plastic trying to hold it from turning while breaking the metal rod free. So I left it alone. I will live with the slight hesitation that is there till I get around to sourcing a new rod.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:42 PM
redbayredneck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a leak in my mid-ship gas tank the other day. I was filling it up and gas started pouring out from under my truck.

Once I got under the truck and started looking, the seal around the vapor vent is just about completely gone and the vent is just sitting in the hole flapping around.

The tank being open to the elements explains a few things I have found in the past, like the fuel filter being full of what looked like clay or mud.

Got a new seal on order, waiting on delivery because none of the chain stores carry them.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:00 PM
19864x4
Freshman User
Installed a new radiator and brand new coolant.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:36 PM
Brucekoukalaka
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty_S
Well pulled the accelerator pump rod to try and screw it into the plastic connector to shorten it. Down side is cant do it as I am afraid of breaking the old plastic trying to hold it from turning while breaking the metal rod free. So I left it alone. I will live with the slight hesitation that is there till I get around to sourcing a new rod.
Go to the back of it with a flat screwdriver, you should be able to turn it to shorten the rod.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:11 PM
redbayredneck
Senior User
I put a new vent-valve seal in my mid-ship gas tank. Took all of two minutes, maybe my gas won't be contaminated anymore. Probably going to replace the fuel pump next and try to find a shop around here that will clean the injectors if I pull them.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Brucekoukalaka
Go to the back of it with a flat screwdriver, you should be able to turn it to shorten the rod.
I thought that's what needed to be done but the rod is already sticking through so I need a special style screw driver with a groove in the middle.

Engine builder who has lead me the wrong way before he said hesitation is too much fuel and I should move my accelerator pump back down from the top most hole to the middle hole where it used to be.

Figured I could try this but hate to as that requires disconnecting the whole accelerator pump from the carb.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:21 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Put a new air filter in the truck and changed the spark plugs. Changed to the next heat range colder plug. Old plugs aren't worn at all but damn those things are hot! all of them were very white and pretty clean.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:55 PM
JayFinAZ
Senior User
Still fighting my oil leak and still don't know for sure where it's coming from. I tired a rubber washer under the base of the distributor today but I guess that wasn't the main source. There is oil pretty much all along the drivers side of the block, so I'm thinking my next step is to re-torque the side cover, if not just go all out and put a new gasket under it.

Are they known for leaking?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The oil pressure sending unit will do that. Had one showering the whole side of the engine.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:33 PM
JayFinAZ
Senior User
Thanks Gary, and for a while I thought it was the culprit. I have pulled it out and put pipe dope on the threads and replaced it, about 2 weeks ago, so I think it's not leaking now. I also tried tightening up the oil filter some with no effect. It's kind of weird as sometimes it doesn't leak as much as others. Round trip to my Mom's house is about 90 miles and sometimes it will barely lose any oil, other times it will puke out almost a whole quart for that trip.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:35 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
In my experience the oil pressure sending unit frequently leaks internally, not from the threads.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:48 PM
JayFinAZ
Senior User
Ok, good to know. I'll order a new one and see what happens.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it's not next to the exhaust, wrap a shop rag around it, tie it in a knot, take it for a ride ... Check the shop rag to see if it's saturated.

Don't skip out and leave the rag there, it could possibly turn into an oil torch if near an ignition source.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?