1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bill,I converted all of them from Wisconsin AENL 9.7 hp motors to 13 hp Honda's GX 390's.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:50 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Biggest problem I have run into with Hondas, is parts availability. You are pretty well tied to a Honda dealer. The problem right now with any small engine (I currently have Briggs, Tecumseh and Kohler engines) is the crap we get for gas right now will ruin a carburetor if you leave it in when it sits. On a Honda, the fuel shutoff valve is also an issue, the ethanol will swell up the rubber seal and block the passage.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bruno2
Shaun, that's sad! You have had that truck for a long time as well as put a lot of TLC in it. I hate to say it, but sometimes things don't last forever
March marked seven years since I bought the truck. It's definitely hard to give up, but I know that it's just time to move on.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
On a more positive note than Shaun's, today I looked at the Ford web site where you track your on-order truck. Over night the delivery date went from 5/14 to 5/4. That's right, next Monday!

(Yes, I know this is the 80 - 86 forum, but the title of this thread says "What have you done to your truck today", and says nothing about what year of truck.)

Old 04-27-2015, 11:01 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Speaking of small engines. Last night some guy with an "old 8 HP Wisconsin" messaged me off my Craigslist mower repair ad, said it seems to have no spark. I flat out told him what the issue is, and the issue is getting parts if it needs parts. Never heard back. Which I'm glad. I don't want to work on hacked over junk. As far as Honda parts. Ebay is the place to get them, dirt cheap parts too! I recently got a new Honda mower as a gift and really like it so far. Been using my brother's pressure washer with the horizontal shaft version too. Nice engines, but they sure don't compare to an old Briggs like my push mower has. Been pushing that thing all my life, never seen a more reliable engine out of anything. I think it's going to outlast me lol. 38 years, 1,300 hours and still starting on the first pull every time.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:10 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
On a more positive note than Shaun's, today I looked at the Ford web site where you track your on-order truck. Over night the delivery date went from 5/14 to 5/4. That's right, next Monday!

(Yes, I know this is the 80 - 86 forum, but the title of this thread says "What have you done to your truck today", and says nothing about what year of truck.)

So, Gary, does that mean your new truck has been ECO-BOOSTED?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
So, Gary, does that mean your new truck has been ECO-BOOSTED?
Yep, all 3.5 liters of it. Doesn't seem quite fair that its torque output exceeds that of almost all of the engines we have in these 80-86 trucks, with very few exceptions. But, it'll get as much MPG as your I6 does, while providing a touch more convenience (like heated & cooled seats, navigation, etc) and safety (5 star crash protection & air bags galore including on the rear shoulder harness). On top of that it'll tow 11,500 lbs and carry 2,500 lbs - not bad for a "1/2 ton" truck. And it is 4wd.

So, what's wrong with this picture? Yeah, it costs a bit more than what most of us have in our old trucks.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:23 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't worn any of the Honda engines out yet. The one we serviced yesterday was bought new in 06. I keep NGK plugs in them and the oil is changed regular. The motor runs for 7 hours a day when it is working. They are hard to keep a rope in the recoil, but as soon as they break I pull the recoil off and use a rope on the shiv.

James asked me if not having a recoil was an issue. I told him they get started once maybe twice a day and the Honda's 95% of the time start on the first pull. So no it isn't an issue at all.

Honda does make a nice small motor.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:26 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bruno2
I haven't worn any of the Honda engines out yet. The one we serviced yesterday was bought new in 06. I keep NGK plugs in them and the oil is changed regular. The motor runs for 7 hours a day when it is working. They are hard to keep a rope in the recoil, but as soon as they break I pull the recoil off and use a rope on the shiv.

James asked me if not having a recoil was an issue. I told him they get started once maybe twice a day and the Honda's 95% of the time start on the first pull. So no it isn't an issue at all.

Honda does make a nice small motor.
Are they Honda GC or GX series engines? the entire recoil assembly for a GC or GCV is about $13 on Ebay. I have my brothers pressure washer that has a 8 year old GC190 that's had the **** used out of it for a residential pressure washer. Still has it's original rope. Just give them a slight pull up to compression, release the rope and give it a good 1 foot tug and you'll never snap the rope on one unless it's a rotten rope again. Hell, my 38 year old push mower still has it's original rope and it's not even frayed.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Use braided kevlar cord (sold as spear gun line) and never replace it again.
Honda makes great small engines.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:13 AM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
March marked seven years since I bought the truck. It's definitely hard to give up, but I know that it's just time to move on.
Man, sorry to hear that chapter coming to a close. I enjoyed reading your posts during its transition. Nice job!

I guess a congrats of sorts is in order for your decision to move on - that's a tough draw to pull to. I don't think I could do it in any case...

Old 04-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a great honda push mower, but the stationary honda engine I've got on a fire pump I'm not that impressed with, they are made in China now.
I went with Japanese made Subaru/Robin engines on a rotary hoe and vibrating plate and they have been brilliant.

I've never snapped a pull cord on any of them - must be doing something wrong

For fuel, I only use premium unleaded as that's the only way to avoid filthy moonshine (Ethanol) in our fuel.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:16 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Brad from Oz
I've got a great honda push mower, but the stationary honda engine I've got on a fire pump I'm not that impressed with, they are made in China now.
I went with Japanese made Subaru/Robin engines on a rotary hoe and vibrating plate and they have been brilliant.

I've never snapped a pull cord on any of them - must be doing something wrong

For fuel, I only use premium unleaded as that's the only way to avoid filthy moonshine (Ethanol) in our fuel.
That's the same thing I was thinking. The only time people snap ropes are if you run the rope all the way the hell out to the end of it's travel and you pull on it like you're a gorilla. The only time ropes have snapped on me are from them either being rotten, and engines kicking back when they shut off pulling on the rope. Of course, those were old B&S engines with the ratchet style recoil starter. I think that explains it all lol. I've never been able to snap one pulling on it. I've purposely tried snapping some on old junk weedwackers and stuff, no go. As far as my GCV190 on my Honda mower, it says USA all over it.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:57 AM
japrine
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed out the bad sending unit on Saturday. I also FINALLY found the missing elbow I needed for my air box in a junk yard. After years of sucking in hot engine bay air, truck is now getting fresh air.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
And, what did it do to the ride and handling?
Ok, I drove it down to the dump yesterday, coming back where I didn't have anything to slide around I did try some faster corners, definitely flatter on them, no real difference in ride, but then it rides like a truck, a 1 ton truck.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?