1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:28 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The only type of Silicone I like is the Motorcraft TA-31. After that I don't care for much of any of it. I checked the bottle of Loctite I had and it's 515, but I can't tell the difference between 515 and 518. Both are flange sealants.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 AM
japrine
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swapped my bench seat to a seat I pulled from a 1990 xlt in a junk yard. This one has the arm rest and was in way better shape than mine. I also put in new window channel weatherstrip.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Jrcrispy2
New User
I am jealous of that seat. Today I didnt do much, however this weekend I did quite a bit of interior work on the truck installing a bunch of JY goodies. Grabbed a new dash cluster(w/ a factory tach), trim, and radio bezel from a 1986 XLT bronco with the woodgrain dash. Took the dash cluster apart all the way down to the guages, pulled the blue dash light caps and incandescent bulbs. Replaced them with green LED 194's. Painted the guage needles with bright orange nail polish so they look like new. replaced the radio bezel that was in it (waz just a blank bezel that the PO had cut a hole into with a dremel tool leaving way too much room, a gaping hole, and the radio floating around in the dash). I went to the parts house and found a radio mount kit to actually mount the din style radio correctly and cleaned everything up. I also found a factory hood light, but cant seem to get it to work, something about a mercury switch from what I have read. Oh well, project for another day.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:19 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrcrispy2
I am jealous of that seat. Today I didnt do much, however this weekend I did quite a bit of interior work on the truck installing a bunch of JY goodies. Grabbed a new dash cluster(w/ a factory tach), trim, and radio bezel from a 1986 XLT bronco with the woodgrain dash. Took the dash cluster apart all the way down to the guages, pulled the blue dash light caps and incandescent bulbs. Replaced them with green LED 194's. Painted the guage needles with bright orange nail polish so they look like new. replaced the radio bezel that was in it (waz just a blank bezel that the PO had cut a hole into with a dremel tool leaving way too much room, a gaping hole, and the radio floating around in the dash). I went to the parts house and found a radio mount kit to actually mount the din style radio correctly and cleaned everything up. I also found a factory hood light, but cant seem to get it to work, something about a mercury switch from what I have read. Oh well, project for another day.
Have you got a good ground on the light to hood and hood to cowl? Make sure the light green with yellow stripe wire is hot, it is fed from the interior lamps circuit.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Jrcrispy2
New User
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Have you got a good ground on the light to hood and hood to cowl? Make sure the light green with yellow stripe wire is hot, it is fed from the interior lamps circuit.
I put the meter on the green/yellow wire and it was hot, I'll clean up the bolts that are grounding it. I did put the meter in continuity testeer mode and checked from the hot wire to the hot leg of the bulb socket and didnt get a connection no matter which way I tilted the light (whole fixture with it un-bolted from the hood). Any chance the mucury switch is bad? I know mercury can be corrosive to some metals.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:38 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrcrispy2
I put the meter on the green/yellow wire and it was hot, I'll clean up the bolts that are grounding it. I did put the meter in continuity testeer mode and checked from the hot wire to the hot leg of the bulb socket and didnt get a connection no matter which way I tilted the light (whole fixture with it un-bolted from the hood). Any chance the mucury switch is bad? I know mercury can be corrosive to some metals.
My guess would be broken wires but it's just a guess. Might be able to drill out the rivets holding it together and open it up....

Old 01-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
As Bill suggested, don't forget the ground. The hood is supposed to have a braided ground from the firewall, and circuits don't work w/o a return path. (Jim - I know there's a debate about which was electrons flow, but let's not confuse them. )

Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Drove the truck today for the first time with the PMGR starter. That thing works GOOD!

Old 01-17-2015, 01:56 PM
FilmCarp
Senior User
Well, today was a big day for me. My truck has been down, nosed into my wood shop for three months or so as I worked on it a few minutes at a time. With the online help of folks here I replaced the intake manifold gaskets, which I know is easy for many but was a new project for me. I also replaced the plugs, wires, coil, pick up in the dizzy, and a few other gizmos. Of course, I couldn't get it to crank because I screwed up the timing. My brother in law came over today and helped me reset in and she fired up. Finally. Now of course the carb is leaking fuel, so after I backed it out of the shop I pulled the carb. Now I am debating buying a kit from rock auto for 30 bucks and trying to replace all the gaskets myself, or sending it out to be rebuilt by someone who is actually skilled at this. Does anyone have a place they recommend? The one local place I know of I have calls into, and I guess I'll wait until Monday before I look elsewhere, but I'd like to know where to look.
Then I can get back to the rest of the work.....
Thanks again to everyone who has offered advice.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Congrat's! It is a really good feeling when it first fires up.

As for the Autolite 2150 like you have, it is one of the easiest carbs of all to rebuild. Just do a bit of searching and you'll find many, many videos on how to do it.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Trackerrrr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swapped my crappy blue dash pad for a less crappy red dash pad. Replaced the busted A pillar trim with good ones.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Put new door strikers on it yesterday. Those work perfect. Bought a bushing set off ebay for cheap and they look like someone took some pipe and hacksawed them to size. They were oval shaped and all. Seller was a real liar about it when I asked about it. And on top of that they were 0.019" too large and they didn't work right! junk!

Old 01-18-2015, 05:38 PM
FordPUMan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a tach cluster from the pick n pull. Cleaned and painted the needles.
It all works.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:22 PM
jthuston
Junior User
FordPUMan, I didn't know I liked wood grain trim until just now.
I finished up my weekend project of gutting the dash, resealing the firewall and applying peel'n'seal; I repaired a broken dashboard bracket, straightened up all the wiring and even dug all the old pens out of the blower vents.
-James Huston

Old 01-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, I do like the Rosewood grain, although finding good pieces is getting very difficult. But, I've just had an idea. I'm joining the Tulsa FabLab which has a vinyl cutter. All you do is feed it a file and it cuts through the vinyl extremely accurately. So, if I can find vinyl that is pretty close to the Rosewood it would be very easy to cut the stuff to fit. Hmmm!

Does this look like the right stuff? I can order a sample if y'all think it is close. But 3M calls it Rosewood.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?